1964 F100 steering column rebuild kit

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rtcapo

1964 F100 steering column rebuild kit

Post by rtcapo »

I have a 1964 Ford F100, and this week, we're starting the restoration. It's more of a 'replace the worn/broken parts'...no upgrades except for a dual master cylinder...drum/drum all around.

One of the things on the punch list is the steering column. It's a 3 speed manual column, with a 223 I6,

I just want to replace the worn parts (not sure what they are yet..but we're getting closer to actually pulling it out).
Is there any source that sells an rebuild kit for this?

I have new panels from Dan Carpenter for the bed. We're starting from the back and working our way forward.

This is my first time, so I just want to learn and replace what needs fixing.
I am also on a tight budget...of course.

Any links or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks
rtc
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: 1964 F100 steering column rebuild kit

Post by SteveCanup »

If you haven't already done so...I would look in the "Hints and Tricks" section on this site. There were a couple of threads in there about rebuilding the steering column that might help you. Also, just a tip that I found out with my '64, check your rubber cab mounts. They get compressed after 50 years and when that occurs it puts the column, and especially the shift linkage, in a bind. The column has one shaft that runs straight down into the steering box. If you remove the column, you also have to remove the steering box as well. It would be a good time to open the box up to clean and assess while you are at it. Often times people either neglect the box or put the wrong lubricant in them, which gums them up. Hopefully this will help. Good luck with your restoration/build...post pics if you can.
Steve-
1964 F-100
Lowell
United States of America

Re: 1964 F100 steering column rebuild kit

Post by Lowell »

I dont know about a kit,but i got the upper and lower bearing and retainer from Macs auto parts for my 65. They have a lot of parts for slicks.