The Hulk Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The_Hulk_Project_66

The Hulk Project

Post by The_Hulk_Project_66 »

This is my 66 Ford F-250. It’s known as “The Hulk” I received this truck on my 17th birthday as a non running truck pulled from the weeds in the hills on Tennessee. That was 14yrs ago. I started working on the truck immediately and had a plan to lower the truck and make it a cruiser. I rebuilt the 400m that was in it, installed a 9”, welded on a 73 C10 frame from the firewall forward for better suspension and brakes, body dropped it 5” and then put it on air ride. I drove the truck everywhere for over a decade with some upgrades here and there. 5 yrs ago I swapped the engine to a DOHC 4.6 V8 to get some better drivability out of it. It still wasn’t enough and a lack of knowledge when building the truck had started to shine through. The truck wasn’t nearly as low as I wanted, it was loud inside, handled like a cow in high heels and was uncomfortable to drive due to the way it was body dropped. I began to resent driving the truck. A change had to be made, but there were a lot of issues to resolve. I first debated on sectioning the gm front crossmember to get the truck lower, but that didn’t solve handling or drivability. I then thought about doing a crown Vic crossmember. That solved handling and getting the truck lower but I didn’t have stock frame rails anymore and the drivability still suffered. A bunch of ideas ran through my head until I finally found the answer while searching the web. It would solve every last problem that I had and would be relatively cheap! It was going to be a ton of work and would require completely rebuilding the truck. It was more than just a rebuild, it was a complete redesign! Oh and did I mention I had about 3 months to get it driving. So what was the plan? My plan would require a Crown Victoria donor car. I would cut the body of the CV off, leaving just the floor and firewall. I would then take my truck and do the same, cut the cab off leaving the floor and firewall still bolted to the frame. The old frame and suspension would be replaced with CV running gear. It seemed like it would solve all my problems! So that’s what I set out to do and I call it “The Hulk Project” I’m videoing the entire process step by step. Below I have posted a link to the first video in the series. I would love to know what you guys think and if it interests you feel free to subscribe as I am continually posting videos as I go.

https://youtu.be/NvI6--LgVuU

04sd
United States of America

Re: The Hulk Project

Post by 04sd »

Not my style, I love the 4x4s, but I can appreciate the work and engineering required to build a truck like this. I'll follow along for sure.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Pretty Cool build, like Bill not really into the low rider/air ride scene but really enjoyed watching your vids, for people wanting to do a CV body swap wither using the floor and firewall from the donor or not your videos at the beginning show what is involved in removing the CV body which is very interesting for someone wanting to do this, it gives then a idea of what is involved...pretty cool you were able to keep it in a run-able state throughout the entire process.

In my current build I'm using the firewall and floor from the CV so it was interesting to me to see how you went about mating the two together making sure your alignment out at the radiator support was correct and while you didn't show a lot of that process and it would have added a lot for future people wanting to do this type of swap/build since it's not really documented in video except by one other Youtube build series. (Hi Fred lol)

Still a very nice build series and was glad to subscribe and watch some of your other videos also.

Thanks for posting and Welcome to Slick60s forum.

Jon
The_Hulk_Project_66

Blanger wrote: In my current build I'm using the firewall and floor from the CV so it was interesting to me to see how you went about mating the two together making sure your alignment out at the radiator support was correct and while you didn't show a lot of that process and it would have added a lot for future people wanting to do this type of swap/build since it's not really documented in video except by one other Youtube build series. (Hi Fred lol)

Still a very nice build series and was glad to subscribe and watch some of your other videos also.

Thanks for posting and Welcome to Slick60s forum.

Jon
Thanks! I like hearing feedback. I do still have a lot of work to with the firewall and getting everything buttoned up. It’s been a challenge to figure what to video and keep it interesting and what is just too drawn out. I shoot hours and hours of footage so it’s can be difficult to trim it down without loosing too much info. If you ever want to see anything in detail feel free to ask.
The_Hulk_Project_66

04sd wrote:Not my style, I love the 4x4s, but I can appreciate the work and engineering required to build a truck like this. I'll follow along for sure.
Thanks! Everyone has there own tastes and that’s what’s great about the car culture, there is so much variety.
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

The_Hulk_Project_66 wrote:Thanks! I like hearing feedback. I do still have a lot of work to with the firewall and getting everything buttoned up. It’s been a challenge to figure what to video and keep it interesting and what is just too drawn out. I shoot hours and hours of footage so it’s can be difficult to trim it down without loosing too much info. If you ever want to see anything in detail feel free to ask.
Yea, when I did the firewall and floor on our current build it was totally stripped with everything removed, I can only imagine how difficult trying to create all the filler panels and weld them into place with a populated firewall.

On the video, I know what you mean, I've done video work before and know about the hours of raw video that has to be edited down to make something interesting, it's a lot of thankless work that has no easy aspect, you did fine in my opinion your videos are interesting, fun to watch, and informative, can't ask for much more than that.

I don't know if you have made up your mind on lengthening the CV frame/driveline........ not that it would matter but my vote would be to cut down your bed to make it a short bed, yeah it has to be cut twice to get it right and yeah you are going to loose your trim on the side of the bed (maybe could be cut down also?) but to me it is the most cost effective (cheapest) way to go, you don't have a bed floor so it should be pretty straight forward to just cut it down to fit the 114" WB. The downside to cutting the frame is to me the cost of everything you will have to change, yeah it's a perimeter frame so it should be easy to cut and put back together making it safe, but everything else like the driveshaft, exhaust, will have to be custom, unique to the truck which to me adds up to a lot of $$$. again just my opinion. I'm also curious if adding much to the length of the driveshaft would require a carrier bearing? or a two piece shaft, being aluminum I'm sure it has limits.

I do have a question, I've always used CV P71s (cop cars), since you used a civilian CV did the PATS (anti-theif) system cause you any issues?

Anyway thanks again for joining/posting here on Slick60s

Jon
The_Hulk_Project_66

Here are some pictures during the build

New and old face off

Here is the complete stripped down 2011 Crown Vic chassis

The point of no return

The first test fitting of the cab on the new frame
The_Hulk_Project_66

I just posted episode 11 of the Hulk Project!
https://youtu.be/adltEwBuOIM
The_Hulk_Project_66

Blanger wrote:
I don't know if you have made up your mind on lengthening the CV frame/driveline........ not that it would matter but my vote would be to cut down your bed to make it a short bed, yeah it has to be cut twice to get it right and yeah you are going to loose your trim on the side of the bed (maybe could be cut down also?) but to me it is the most cost effective (cheapest) way to go, you don't have a bed floor so it should be pretty straight forward to just cut it down to fit the 114" WB. The downside to cutting the frame is to me the cost of everything you will have to change, yeah it's a perimeter frame so it should be easy to cut and put back together making it safe, but everything else like the driveshaft, exhaust, will have to be custom, unique to the truck which to me adds up to a lot of $$$. again just my opinion. I'm also curious if adding much to the length of the driveshaft would require a carrier bearing? or a two piece shaft, being aluminum I'm sure it has limits.

I do have a question, I've always used CV P71s (cop cars), since you used a civilian CV did the PATS (anti-theif) system cause you any issues?

Anyway thanks again for joining/posting here on Slick60s

Jon
I’m pretty set on making it a long bed again. I like that the truck would be even more “out of the box” The extra work doesn’t bother me too much haha hence why I cut apart a good running truck lol.
As far as drive shaft I was going to try and source one from a junk yard if possible. Just take a tape measure and time and look around.I have seen aluminum units that are plenty long enough. I like the idea of having readily available replacement options. I may end up going with a 2 piece though. Either way I’d like it to be a factory part or parts since I plan on driving this thing across the country next year.

I have not run into any PATS problems, but I’m using all the wiring and column. The only issue I currently have is with the door switches. I cut out the door module which tells the instrument cluster through a cam bus circuit that the doors are open or close. I have to put that system back in otherwise I cannot use all the features of the digital display due to the car thinking the doors open.
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

The_Hulk_Project_66 wrote:I’m pretty set on making it a long bed again. I like that the truck would be even more “out of the box” The extra work doesn’t bother me too much haha hence why I cut apart a good running truck lol.
That's cool, and as far as I know would make your build unique as far as CV swaps go, most of us go for the low hanging fruit of whatever is easiest and cheapest to do, I'm glad your posting here and to YouTube as it will give people in the future some insight as to what is required.
The_Hulk_Project_66 wrote:As far as drive shaft I was going to try and source one from a junk yard if possible. Just take a tape measure and time and look around.I have seen aluminum units that are plenty long enough. I like the idea of having readily available replacement options. I may end up going with a 2 piece though. Either way I’d like it to be a factory part or parts since I plan on driving this thing across the country next year.
I'm going to be watching with interest, I've been a drag racer for many years and have done (or paid to have done) a lot of chassis work over the years, what your going to do isn't at all hard to do and you have the right mindset to get it done correctly.
The_Hulk_Project_66 wrote:I have not run into any PATS problems, but I’m using all the wiring and column. The only issue I currently have is with the door switches. I cut out the door module which tells the instrument cluster through a cam bus circuit that the doors are open or close. I have to put that system back in otherwise I cannot use all the features of the digital display due to the car thinking the doors open.
Thank You, I have talked to several people who did have PATS issues, all of us who reuse the stock ECU, BCM, and lighting module along with the factory harness worry about those issues, it's easy enough to have the ECU or BCM (depending on make-model) flashed to remove functions that are no longer needed, but it's more of a issue using a GM (Caprice, Impala, Roadmaster) chassis as a donor it's VATS system is less forgiving than the Ford PATS system.

BTW loved your can crush vid....

Jon
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

At 1st glance I liked the Hulk, and at every glace past that one, I've liked it more and more. I've always loved the theme of....."IT'S A TRUCK, fix it your way, drive it, use it, and enjoy it".

I truly enjoy watching a Slick owner's brains poured out on the work table. Ya kinda get to know more about a person like that. I TOO will be watching your "work-in-progress".

I even made a post several months ago that I'd be updating my 64 S/B as soon as I had some FREE time. I haven't seen much of that lately but have been making progress of some little pennie-annie stuff, but just not enough to post yet. However, I do see a light at the end of the tunnel of that FREE LIGHT. Hopefully soon, and might even get some new Ideas watching the Hulk's renovation.

I've always loved the Rat rod look, but mostly somewhere between the real-rough, and the pushing-perfection style. Just going for a decent daily driver (now that I totaled my JEEP 4 weeks ago).
Now that I'm at that level of being OLD, doing things that people expect from a crazy OLD man, and a little OLD School will suit my taste just fine....

I really love the stance of the Hulk.......
The_Hulk_Project_66

oldsmiley wrote:At 1st glance I liked the Hulk, and at every glace past that one, I've liked it more and more. I've always loved the theme of....."IT'S A TRUCK, fix it your way, drive it, use it, and enjoy it".

I truly enjoy watching a Slick owner's brains poured out on the work table. Ya kinda get to know more about a person like that. I TOO will be watching your "work-in-progress".

I even made a post several months ago that I'd be updating my 64 S/B as soon as I had some FREE time. I haven't seen much of that lately but have been making progress of some little pennie-annie stuff, but just not enough to post yet. However, I do see a light at the end of the tunnel of that FREE LIGHT. Hopefully soon, and might even get some new Ideas watching the Hulk's renovation.

I've always loved the Rat rod look, but mostly somewhere between the real-rough, and the pushing-perfection style. Just going for a decent daily driver (now that I totaled my JEEP 4 weeks ago).
Now that I'm at that level of being OLD, doing things that people expect from a crazy OLD man, and a little OLD School will suit my taste just fine....

I really love the stance of the Hulk.......
Thanks man! It’s been hard lately to find the free time so I know exactly what you mean! I honestly didn’t touch the Hulk for a couple months after I got it ready for the pumpkin run car show. I’m just now getting back into it this month. Next week I should be extending the frame so I can get the bed back on it. Here is the latest episode:

https://youtu.be/v00E9NcV3xg
The_Hulk_Project_66

I was able to pull the truck out the other day while I cleaned out the garage

The_Hulk_Project_66

I just posted the latest build video up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/f7SQfIWpebo
eaglefan

Post by eaglefan »

I tore my 66 short box down over 10 years ago and finally got back on my build. Installed a 03 CV front suspension looks good, new ball joints and upper control arm bushings. Painted anything steel.
Now to the rear suspension, I just installed a 89 Mark VII
independent rear suspension, turning out very good if I say so myself. I'm using the 4.6l and trans, the drive shaft fit perfectly.
Sure wish that I would have worked on it sooner but it will get there, good luck on yours..
The_Hulk_Project_66

I have made a ton of progress since the last post. I am no working on putting in a steel bed floor. Next to come is a full stainless exhaust, just waiting on parts

Here is a link to the latest video on the progress:

https://youtu.be/9pNHLJnOOts
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I like the flat bed floor. If you were going to put a cover on the bed it wouldn't matter but with an open bed I think it looks better flat.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html