Windshield gaskets?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Windshield gaskets?

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Who is the current preferred supplier?
I've heard bad things about the fit of most our suppliers including
Carpenters, Lmc etc. They all appear to have gone to the cheapest supplier... And quality is a roll of the dice as to whether they are to long, short or just right.
I'm leaning towards Precision.

What is your story for windshield gaskets?
Has anyone used a supplier in the last year or so, and had good results?

I lucked into a brand new still in the box Carlite windshield for a price I could live with..
I was helping family for labor day weekend and searched Tulsa Craigslist for 1961 F100. It was the only add that came up.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
tomsrod
United States of America

Re: Windshield gaskets?

Post by tomsrod »

I used Carpenter many years ago for all the door and window rubber on my truck. I've had zero problems and recall my installer saying the windshield rubber was the best he'd seen. No idea if they've changed since I bought it, but if I had to install new window rubber I'm certain it would be from Carpenter's again.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

In 38 years I’ve only used Carpenter‘s windshield rubbers and have never had a problem. At a time when most suppliers or sending everything to China to be made, I do know that Carpenter is still making his in house, in Concord North Carolina.
They are sold by Carpenter, Flashback, Carolina Classics, and many more ...
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I bought my '64 F-100 a little over 6 years ago and the previous owner had a new Dennis Carpenter windshield gasket (still in the box) that came with the truck. I am now on my 3rd windshield since buying the truck (don't ask, lol) with the same D.C. gasket and the fit and quality is excellent. Their gaskets do not come from an outside supplier, they make their own gaskets in house.
1964 F-100
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

DC it is for my front gasket...

I've had a precision rear gasket on a shelf for quite awhile now, so
I'll get it put in and see how it lasts....
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Just had my windshield put in last week and used a DC rubber, think I bought it from Flashback. Hasn't been out of the shop yet so hopefully it is weatherproof but I don't have any reason to think it won't be. I used the same one on my 65 6-7 years ago and its still doing good. My daddy's truck has a DC gasket on it and its been more years than I can remember that it was installed with a new glass, no leaks to report on it either.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Most of the time it's not the rubber that causes a windshield to leak. It's the installer, most don't like to use the sealer anymore because it's so messy. A soft NEW rubber is going to seal, but 6-8 months down the road when it starts to shrink THAT'S when it will start leaking. I'd make it mandatory that no matter WHO'S rubber it is, WHOEVER installs it should use sealer, and plenty of it. Mineral Spirits will wipe it right off if it makes a mess.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Got a brand name for that sealer?

Yours truly is the installer...
I've done few gasket glasses, on daily driver's and heavy equipment over the years, and done them dry...
A year or two down the road they were someone else's problem...

I've done several glue in Windows and windshields. Beta prime, is my friend, and urethane is the nasty glue that makes a nasty mess.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

The product is called liquid butyl windshield sealer, but a pint is over $20.00, and it is typically put into a small pump handle type oil can, then pumped into the joint.

Do a google search using the bolded words above, you'll get plenty of hits. I would normally just paste in my goodle search, but I noticed the majority of the first page was Canadian Co's:)

This one is for a US Mfgr in Schaumburg, IL
https://www.pksupplies.com/crl-windshie ... e-can.html

Most glass shops I've been in use something like this for application of the liquid butyl

FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Thanks guys.
Hope to see you all at SS...
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I neglected to comment about sealer in my previous post, but you are correct. The gasket will only hold the glass in place. The sealer will keep the water out, and it can be a messy job but it does clean up.
gumshoe

Post by gumshoe »

I just installed front and back glass using steel rubber products there made in the USA. but they cost trice as much as LMC or MACS. You have to pay for quality.
Bill: shasta lake ca. 1966 F100
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I'm assuming the sealer is between rubber and metal (not rubber/glass).
And is it installed after the glass/rubber is in place (pulling back the outer edge of the rubber)?
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Personally, I put it between the glass and rubber, and between the rubber and steel.
Touch up after installing buy flipping the lip back is a good idea.

Your mileage may vary....

My original gasket / windshield had the dried but still flexible sealant in both positions.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle