When some things get so high, they fly out the window….

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldsmiley
United States of America

When some things get so high, they fly out the window….

Post by oldsmiley »

I’ve always ran BF Goodrich T/A Radials on my Slick. I just like the tires and how they look on the truck. The last set I purchased was about 12 years ago for $387.00 mounted and balanced.
They still have decent tread, just some small dry rot cracks in the sidewalls. I’d hate to have one blowout and beat my sheet metal up on the bed or a fender, so I went to get another new set and find out that they too have gone up a bit.
When they told me they were $818.00 for all four Ann mounting and balancing was extra, I questioned them as to why. I was stunned at the answer. The guy said the tires didn’t increase that much because of Covid, but because they are rare.

He said not many people run 15” tires anymore, most vehicles are running 16, 18, 20, and 22” tires now. He said 15’s are rare because they are hard to find.

I guess I lived too long, and what use to be a reasonable good looking tire has finally become GOLD. I might have to change the lug pattern and find some 18-20” wheels…..
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: When some things get so high, they fly out the window….

Post by SteveCanup »

His answer is correct. Most all vehicles, and even the vintage ones, are running 18" to 20"+ wheels and tires. I just bought a set of Mastercraft tires for my '64 off of ebay and they were over $600. I still had to take them and have them mounted and balanced. When they wear out, I am considering going to an 18" wheel. By then, everyone will be running 26" to 44" wheels, lol.
1964 F-100
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I can attest to this. My long bed has not been used much since the fire except to move around the field to mow. when I noticed one tire was low, I drove it up to my compressor to top them all off. That's when i noticed the right rear was de-laminating.
Cheapest tire set I could find was 886.00 installed at Les Schwab. I chose to replace all the filler valves with a ridged steel set (for free) because all the rubber valves were rotted after three only years (overseas crap).
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

Ok, so you have my attention. I'm running Radial T/A's too, and they're older, and like your situation, could probably stand to be replaced. I just looked, and the local Discount Tire has them for about $180 each, before taxes and installation. Ouch!
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

That makes those rare skinny 16" 5 lug wheels look better and better.

EDIT: Just priced my favorite Cooper Cobra 275/60 R15 rears and 235/60 R15 fronts at $800.XX out the door from Discount Tire. From 1993 to 2000 the rears went from $110 to $140 a pair.
Chris
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I love the look of T/A's also! Try finding a set of 14" tires nowadays. The set that's on my Fairlane were over $600 about seven years ago. Probably have 300 miles on them and I'm like you Rick, just wondering when they'll come apart on me. Guess I need to drive it more don't I??
Glad to see your truck is getting some attention
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I wish I had some free time to do more on it, but every since the Coronavirus I’ve worked 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week. On Sunday I go to church, come home and eat lunch, then work until 10-12 pm.
I work until i’m So sleepy, eat, take a shower, go to bed and get up and start all over…..
I’ve had 6 days off in the past 2 years, and on those days I rested, and haven’t done a single thing to my truck.

I never thought I see it like this, but it’s getting old real quick. I’ve got plenty to do to my truck, but ZERO time……
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

i own a tire shop.its true the 14 and 15s are getting hard to find.on the rare occasion some one calls looking for a white letter 15" tire out of my 5 warehouses that i deal with the only options are cooper cobras or the bfgs and thats if they have them at all tires have took a dramatic increase in price and i still only make the same profit.20 years ago i tried to make 100 bucks off of a set of 4 tires,didnt matter brand or size.20 years later i still only clear about 100 bucks profit off of 4 tires to stay competitive with online and bigger chain stores.