electronic ignition choices

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

electronic ignition choices

Post by Doc Pepper »

I have been mulling over upgrading to electronic ignition. I can't determine which of the following two options is best. The little chip that you put into the existing distributor, or the GM-like distributor with the HEI guts. If I go the former, am I supposed to get the hot-shot ignition coil also? If I go with the GM-like distributor, where do I get replacement part in case of failure. I definitely want to go electronic ignition, but it has to be both as reliable as points AND inexpensive to repair if it fails.
charliemccraney

Re: electronic ignition choices

Post by charliemccraney »

The conversion for a stock distributor will be cheapest. If the distributor is in good condition, this may be the best option. You probably won't notice a difference in performance or economy with a basic conversion unless the distributor is worn. The magnetic pickup will be more forgiving than points because of the lack of direct mechanical contact that exists with points.

If the old distributor is worn, then I would opt for something that is completely new and a GM HEI based unit would be a good candidate. I would expect it to be able to use GM parts but if you get it from a reputable brand, replacement parts will probably be at least as easy to get as they are for the points replacement.

Get a hotter coil to go with whichever system you get. Refer to the instructions to determine which one. Plug wires may also need to be upgraded at the same time.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

I'm on my third Pertronix. This last one is the Ignitor II. I think the issue I had with the first two, is that I wasn't running full 12v, as I still had the resistor wire in place. Haven't had any trouble with it at all. Simple way to go, and not hard to change back should you have an issue that might otherwise leave you stranded.

Jerry
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Doc Pepper wrote:I have been mulling over upgrading to electronic ignition. I can't determine which of the following two options is best. The little chip that you put into the existing distributor, or the GM-like distributor with the HEI guts. If I go the former, am I supposed to get the hot-shot ignition coil also? If I go with the GM-like distributor, where do I get replacement part in case of failure. I definitely want to go electronic ignition, but it has to be both as reliable as points AND inexpensive to repair if it fails.
I also run Pertronics. Seems it was 30-32 degree's of dwell whether gaped at .030 or .060".
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just a few caveats, Doc!
I have unused HEI clones hanging on a shelf.
As a warehouse distributor; I was offered them for around $25 shipped!
My thought was, wow, how can they make them, test the quality and ship them halfway around the world for that?
Short answer; depend on the end customer for "part B"!
Thus, my accumulated "inventory"!
I will not knowingly sell nor install ANYTHING subject to do more harm than good!
I have closely examined the tolerances on these POS, as well as seen the results of many failures!
My standard remark is that I won't consider a distributor costing less than what I pay for the ARP/Ford driveshaft attached to it!
So, my humble suggestion is if you REALLY want an HEI clone, for whatever unknown reason, pay Performance Distributors for one less likely to cost you an engine!
If anyone wants to tell of their success with the offshore clone, save it, common sense has got you outgunned!
Remember, I'm the guy who will drag a 30 foot travel trailer across country on it's OEM 1966 tires, but some things just don't warrant taking a chance!
Buy a Pertronix conversion, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, and never regret it!
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

ford duraspark is my solution.

jim oberg
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally