It‘s shot. I‘m shot.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

It‘s shot. I‘m shot.

Post by Doc Pepper »

She is spewing out oil, apparently from the rear main seal. The tranny is shot. The diff is shot. The clutch has 80,000+ miles on it. The doors are shot. The roof is shot. The floor is shot. The steering is shot. The seat is shot. The multiple rebuilt engine has 140,000 miles on the last overhaul. Every body part is either dented, rusted, or simply missing. It has never driven straight or smoothe. It has never had a radio, or a/c, or working heat. I have not owned or driven a car with a working a/c, or even functioning turn signals. It has never gone more than a few thousand miles without needing work. I am almost 70. I‘m tired. Tired of working on my cars or on my house or on my m/c. I‘m tired of working on my tools because of lack of use or rust. The truck is shot. It‘s technology is shot. I‘m shot. I have arranged for a local junk yard to pick it up as soon as I get something new. This will probably be my last post as I will no longer own a slick. Wish you all well, and may you all have better luck with your slick than I‘ve had with mine.
tomrooster
United States of America

Re: It‘s shot. I‘m shot.

Post by tomrooster »

Sorry to hear that Doc
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Doc Pepper wrote:She is spewing out oil, apparently from the rear main seal. The tranny is shot. The diff is shot. The clutch has 80,000+ miles on it. The doors are shot. The roof is shot. The floor is shot. The steering is shot. The seat is shot. The multiple rebuilt engine has 140,000 miles on the last overhaul. Every body part is either dented, rusted, or simply missing. It has never driven straight or smoothe. It has never had a radio, or a/c, or working heat. I have not owned or driven a car with a working a/c, or even functioning turn signals. It has never gone more than a few thousand miles without needing work. I am almost 70. I‘m tired. Tired of working on my cars or on my house or on my m/c. I‘m tired of working on my tools because of lack of use or rust. The truck is shot. It‘s technology is shot. I‘m shot. I have arranged for a local junk yard to pick it up as soon as I get something new. This will probably be my last post as I will no longer own a slick. Wish you all well, and may you all have better luck with your slick than I‘ve had with mine.
What part of Arizona are you in? I'm next door in Roswell, New Mexico. I am sending you a PM.
Thank's
Chris
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

I wish I was closer! I would give you more than a junk yard would.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

chris401 wrote:
Doc Pepper wrote:She is spewing out oil, apparently from the rear main seal. The tranny is shot. The diff is shot. The clutch has 80,000+ miles on it. The doors are shot. The roof is shot. The floor is shot. The steering is shot. The seat is shot. The multiple rebuilt engine has 140,000 miles on the last overhaul. Every body part is either dented, rusted, or simply missing. It has never driven straight or smoothe. It has never had a radio, or a/c, or working heat. I have not owned or driven a car with a working a/c, or even functioning turn signals. It has never gone more than a few thousand miles without needing work. I am almost 70. I‘m tired. Tired of working on my cars or on my house or on my m/c. I‘m tired of working on my tools because of lack of use or rust. The truck is shot. It‘s technology is shot. I‘m shot. I have arranged for a local junk yard to pick it up as soon as I get something new. This will probably be my last post as I will no longer own a slick. Wish you all well, and may you all have better luck with your slick than I‘ve had with mine.
What part of Arizona are you in? I'm next door in Roswell, New Mexico. I am sending you a PM.
Thank's
Chris: I sent you a PM on a related note...
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

You got 2 years on me Doc, but I feel your pain. I've been driving my 64 S/B for the most part of 37 years, as a daily driver and I love it. But as we speak, it's broke again and I enjoy working on it and would if I could, but for the past 19 months I've been working 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week. Four or five days a month I start work at 6 AM and work until 2:30-3:00 AM the next morning, and like you "I'M TIRED" I've only had 6 days off in that length of time.
I can't get the time to work on it. When I'm not working, I'm eating, sleeping to get rested for the next WHAMMY, or getting a short time of rest in my recliner for my back that I hurt back in 1973.

I'm not ready to get rid of my Slick, I have so much I want to do to it so I can get another good 20 years out of it, then someone else can have it. I figure 20 years is a good length of time "IF the Lord is really good to me", but I also know even that's a long shot. I still want to go back through my 56 again, and my 58 Beetle Bug too.

Heck I bought parts, material to cover my seat, even bought my paint and all the extras a year ago next month, but with my workload I haven't gotten anything done to it yet. I have a Birthday coming up in October, and for Birthdays all I ask for is that I can have that 24 hour day ALL FOR ME!

Hope I can get a little rest the day before, because I'm going to try to work on it the WHOLE 24 hours....
If I don't make it, I'll have them write on my headstone...."I TOO, SHOULD HAVE STOPPED WHEN I GOT TIRED"
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

Doc, Your truck doesn't sound to bad to me . Just imagine if you owned a chevy . :lol:
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

OK. Since my last post, I have been looking at new and used vehicles. I have not been this upset and disgusted since the last time this thing has failed on me. Every used vehicle I saw had over 200,000 miles or more. Mine has 140,000. Yet, the cheapest price was $5,000. All the rest were $8,000 or more. All I kept thinking was “a thousand miles after buying that piece of junk, I would be exactly where I am today PLUS I would be out 8 grand.“ So I went out when the temp dropped to only 101 and tightened all of the bolts to the valve cover, side cover, and oil pan. The side cover bolts were all almost a full turn loose. The next morning, I washed the motor and wiped it dry. There is still a small film of oil on the motor, but it seems that 90% of the oil loss has stopped.
So here‘s the deal. If I can find 2 doors, I will rebuild the spare motor and tranny and keep the truck. I may be old and very tired, but I‘m not dead, ..., yet.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

MY OL 66 wrote:
chris401 wrote:
Thank's
Thank's

Chris: I sent you a PM on a related note...
Chris
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Using my lifetime of advanced deductive skills (there was a huge puddle of oil on top of the motor), I determined that the valve cover gasket was bad. So I removed the valve cover, cleaned and degreased it, and glued a new gasket to it. Although they looked good, I also hammered straight the metal around the holes. And right before installing the cover, I put additional sealer on the engine side of the seal, figuring I will never be taking it off again. And I re-adjusted the valves while I had the chance. There‘s no tappet noise and it looks like the leak stopped. More important, it feels so rewarding to perform a successful repair at my age working in the summer desert. Of course, I still have a wreck, but at least it‘s running, ..., and paid for.
matt1451

Post by matt1451 »

AMEN to that !
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

well Doc, I can just say that I for one and so glad that you are hanging around. I have been enjoying your posts for years. Kudo's on you for getting it done and the decision to keep on Slickin'.. mine is in need of several repairs again but I still drive her daily and abuse her like a truck.. love my old iron!!

Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

I spoke too soon. There is oil all over the motor, especially the valve cover. It seems that oil might be getting out of the valve cover from both the oil entry hole AND the PCV hole. I have just about given up. The engine is spewing oil (well, about a quart every 1500 miles), the transmission is clunking and whirring, and the cigarette lighter doesn't work. I have just about welded that blasted valve cover to the block. I glued the gasket to the valve cover, then glued it to the block, and then installed those metal arms that are supposed to equalize the seal pressure around the entire cover. Still leaks. And stinks (smells of hot oil). If the cost of just the taxes and registration fees of a new car weren't more than the price of a new engine and transmission, I might think about considering the possibility of buying a new truck. Otherwise, I am considering buying a recumbent electric bicycle and foregoing the motor vehicle universe.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Doc, I have a set of doors. I am coming to Vegas early next year and can meet you in Flagstaff if you decide you want them
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

I would be a fool to turn down doors. When are you coming?