OK so a 88 302 HO in a 61-64

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

I used the transdapt xmember to install my 390 in my 63. The engine is as far forward as it could possibly be, yet it still only has about 2 inches of clearance to the axle. It has been an issue on many occasions. A rear sump pan could probably reliueve my headache. I could also alter the pan.
Or I could elevate the drivetrain in the chassis.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

The reason you need to "adjust or remove the bellhousing crossmember "is because the auto trans will not allow the motor to sit offset 1.25" to the passenger side as it is sposed to because the tranny pan/bellhousing hit the crossmember unless centred in the engine bay.

I just went through an 5.0l efi swap using an aod. The old 351w C6 combo was centred, and putting in the 5.0 with headers required the proper engine offset to clear the steering column to the headers.

Your choice really, depending on the end result your looking for.
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Greg

If you do the transplant I'd love to hear/see what you used. My '62 already has a 351w but the PO fabricated some scary looking crossmembers (engine,tranny, and drive shaft center bearing). I would like to replace them all and it sounds like the "Transdapt" route is the way to go. If the stlye that lays on top of the frame allows a person to slide the engine front to back and side to side while supporting the engine I am interested in that. I would like to attempt to change one at a time without pulling the engine then after all are installed and lined up correctly "nail" everthing down. It sounds like with the other style you may need to support the weight of the engine while adjusting, drilling, and bolting things up but I may be confused :) .

Jason
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

JWH, when I do this I'll do another "How To" with pictures & measurements and post it. TR, I removed 3 leaves from my front springs quite a while back. It improved the ride of my truck and it's stance. I took out every other leaf leaving the top one in place. I don't know how your son did his but it's not good to take out leaves that are consecutive, concentrates too much load in one area.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Just found a 385 series C-6 with converter $100, there are 2 460s in local adds one is "$100 ran when removed" other is "can hear run - still in truck, make offer! Hmmmm!

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

1983 Merc Marquis, 5.0 AOD well maintained, actually nice car $450. Hmm, power windows etc, etc, etc. Too many donor choices arrgh! lol! Gonna have to pick something here so I can order some motor mounts. Think I'll pass on the 351-C6 I found yesterday though, ran OK but not impressively.
Last edited by Greg D on October 30, 2007, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

The Marquis also has CFI, I could use the CFI parts to get Marcus's 85 Stang LX going again. I'll put a carb on the engine when it goes in the truck. Anybody know how to adjust the TV cable that goes to the AOD from the carb? Marcus even offered to chip in on the car so we can get the parts for his car from it.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I just talked to a guy who has a 88 Stang GT 5.0 Roller Cam engine and an AOD for $300! Delivered to my Door! Think I may have found it.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Truckrat
United States of America

roller 5,0 and AOD

Post by Truckrat »

Greg, he'll bring it all to you for 3 bills? Yeah! Sounds like a great deal for you and the truck. Prolly make a very good running truck for you and geared right do good on fuel, too. We have that 63 that I want to do something with, since the boy has quit messing with it.
We also have a 5.0 roller motor for it. Just need an AOD behind it and an IFS frontend under it, and a few other things. Good find, Greg. TR
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Dave, (the guy with the roller 302) owns a auto shop in west Omaha.
Engine is complete throttle body to the header collectors and has the harness on it still. Main thing I will need is a puter for it but it's speed density engine so that's not too bad $. Cool guy, bringing the engine and tranny Sunday and he's loaning me a stand to put it on til it goes in the truck. Offered to loan me his cherry picker when I told him I didn't have one to get it out of his truck. What few things the engine doesn't have at this moment he says he's sure he can get me (need a flexplate).
He thinks it'll be cool in my Uni, I drove the truck out there so he saw it. So my Uni is going to have a Mustang GT 5.0 roller cam engine and an AOD in it. He even is warrantying it for me! I was telling him I would have to hit the junkyard to find a Toyota 4x4 steering box for the power steering conversion, he said "Don't bother, I have a friend who mud drags straight axle Toy 4x4s. He probably has several of those boxes around, I'll call him!"

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Good deal all around Greg. Sounds like a member of our club the guy is so good.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

He and I do have something in common, he likes Fox body Stangs. Has a REAL NICE 93 LX vert with a 5 lug conversion, 3" Cervini Cowl induction hood, Black 17" Bullitt Wheels, and LOTS of Hi Po goodies under the hood.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Correction; 5.0 HO - carbed, 5 speed. I will likely hang onto th EFI and possibly install it later. I don't want the truck down for 3 months. Gonna pass on the electronic controlled AOD.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Phil

Post by Phil »

Man I don't check the forum for a couple days and you pass on your old truck (i assume) and do a motor swap after flip flopping on mills a few times.

Well I been busy too.
Bought that 93 notch 2.3. I am looking for swap parts, front V8 spindles/brakes, struts etc-8.8 rear, harness, steering rack etc.

Too bad I wasn't closer I'd buy the roller. :shock:
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Not much I can do about the 66 til I hear from Jay. He had a similar problem last year and it kept him in the hospital for a couple months and down at home a while too.
Either way I'm moving forward with the Uni, if I did end up selling it I'll get quite abit more after the swap. If I end up keeping it it will be the way I want it, no down side. Goofy thing is for as much as I liked the 66 short, my Uni is in better shape.
If I hadn't been rushed by a nosey neighbor & code enforcement I would have put a Windsor in the Uni when I assembled it. I only used the 223/granny tranny because it was here and a bolt in.
5.0 swap parts are a dime a dozen if you what to look for. Lots of T-Bird stuff works too. There is a ton of info here too. Be careful, Foxstangs can be addictive, lol. Let me know if I can help. You know though, 385s will fit in Fox Bodies too.
www.allfordmustangs.com

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ford racing sell 385 swap kits for Mustangs in their catalog.

But you know I am a small block guy and don't quite see the sense in it...
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Set up a Fox body properly with a 385 in it. Find a long open paved place and hammer it and you will have an epiphany on that subject, lol.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Greg D wrote:Set up a Fox body properly with a 385 in it. Find a long open paved place and hammer it and you will have an epiphany on that subject, lol.

I like it. :lol: