Sway bar / PS / Header compatibility

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Combat_Medic

Sway bar / PS / Header compatibility

Post by Combat_Medic »

I can't help but drool at some of the headers offered for our 390, heaven knows the mass produced (see power robbing) factory job is a joke, but damn near all of those aftermarket choices include disclaimers preventing the use of sway bars or power steering. I drive the truck like I stole it, necessitating the HD sway bar (still debating between LMC or one off of a mid-seventies 1-ton). I will definitely get a power steering conversion when the money/time is right, as I'm beginning to look like pop-eye. At the same time, I can't ignore the extra hp/torque/fuel economy boost provided by a good set of headers.

Having said all that, I couldn't be happier with the ability of the stock headers to last and last and last... God bless thick iron. Is it too much to ask for a set of long lasting, free-flowing, headers that will live in harmony (i.e. fit) with the rest of my truck?

One last note... Am I correct in looking for tri-Y/long-tube headers for the best compromise in power for a haulin'/pullin' truck like mine?

I'd really appreciate any advice on what to get, what has worked well for you, or where to look for options. Thanks fellas

-Josh
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I can't imagine why a sway bar would interfere with headers. :hm: Power steering I could see, but a sway bar? :dontknow:

I've always wanted to try a set of tri-Y's, but havent as of yet. :) Whichever flavor you end up with, just make sure to get a set with thick flanges.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

give these guys a call, they fixed me up with some tri Y for my 429 ,great quality stuff, tell them i sent ya,,

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm

i posed some pics in a previous thread, you can check them out

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
________
Yamaha FS1E
Last edited by dwbr on February 6, 2011, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Combat_Medic

Post by Combat_Medic »

I'll give them a call first thing monday. Thank you much!
-Josh
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Sway bar is not an issue as it is in Front of the crossmember and the headers are behind it.

The P/S could be an issue, but I know you can fit a 460 in with headers and P/S...so I don't see whay someone wouldn't sell something that fits.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread