Shocks

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Combat_Medic

Shocks

Post by Combat_Medic »

I really really - I mean REALLY - have to do something with my suspension. I have just about made up my mind on new coils w/ airbags up front, but I'm still stumped about the rear. I can't find an air suspension setup for my 66 250, so I suppose I'm stuck getting new leafs. I work the old beast like a dog, but I'm done bouncing around the road when I've got nothing in the bed or being towed. Something that has caught my eye recently is the mounting of dual shocks on the rear axle. I usually see this with lifted trucks, but wouldn't this contribute to a softer ride without negatively affecting my towing/hauling capacity? Thanks for any input, and wish me luck - driving (hopefully) the 66 250 I just bought off evil-bay home tomorrow.
-Josh
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

go to a suspension shop that does lifts, they can fab you up something , my bro has a suburban lifted huge with air bags, all custom suspension
i know its a chebby... but those are 49 inch tires on FORD axles

________
Toyota Camry Solara
Last edited by dwbr on February 6, 2011, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Now you are kind of in the middle of the riddle. You want the old pickup, but you want it to ride like a new one. Ain't gonna happen. You can do a lot of changing suspension items and end up with a nice ride, but you will be sacrificing the old tried and true reliability that has made these pickups.
The above picture has a lot of expensive goodies on it and looks pretty, but it won't do as a daily driver and work pickup without a lot of constant and expensive attention.
Back when these pickups were made, they were designed to work, not for a soccer mom to go to the store.
Not really trying to bust a bubble, just trying to give a little insight.
Fred
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

fmartin_gila wrote:Back when these pickups were made, they were designed to work, not for a soccer mom to go to the store.
Not really trying to bust a bubble, just trying to give a little insight.
Fred

not busting my bubble, thats the reason we drive them.
built Ford tough and simple to work on.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

im not saying you have to go that radical, a standard suspension wouldn't be that much of a problem, just look at all the work people do doing the front end crown vic conversions, threres probably less modifications baggin 4 corners than what is involved in just doing the crown vic front end setup
________
vaporizer
Last edited by dwbr on February 6, 2011, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDG

Post by GDG »

Soften the rear up by removing a few leaves or getting some softer (maybe F100) rear springs and maybe a set of air shocks for tweeking or for heavy loads. Installing more shocks on the rear won't soften the ride. If you really are wanting airbags go to a 4 link and bag it.
Doug