Slick panel truck?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Bill

Slick panel truck?

Post by Bill »

Last night on my way home I saw what looked like a slick panel truck the grill looked like maybe 62. I have never seen one of these. It was on the back of a rollback not driving on the road it looked a little rough the color was dark green similar to the od green of a military vehicle there also was a telephone company bell painted on the door. The rollback was just pulling on to an on ramp and I was going the other way. But one of those rare times I was glad there was so much traffic at least I got a good ½ a minute or so look at it unfortunately the side emblem was missing. From what I could see the front suspension looked earlier than the I beam type, overall length looked like a long bed truck. I am sure it wasn’t a pickup with a cap and defiantly had the front end of a slick. It looked kind of like a uni body. I googled 61 to 64 ford panel truck and a few other thing like that but did not find anything. I wish I had my camera with me. Any one know what this might have been?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

As far as anyone knows Ford never made a Slick Panel. All Slicks from 61 - 64 were straight axle trucks that would explain the non Twin I. There were some photoshopped pics on the old site of Unipanels (someone may be able to post them). I seriously considered building one from my 62 (not completely ruled out yet either). I should likely make up my mind before I paint the truck huh, lol. Chevy made panels during that time period though.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Bill

Post by Bill »

What I saw looked similar to the Chevy panels of that era. Has any one heard of someone other than Ford doing some kind of conversion to a pickup if it is not from Ford who ever did the work did a pretty good job. :?:
bertha66

Post by bertha66 »

I have seen a few older Fords, 58-60, panels but none from the 61-66 trucks. I did have a white cap on my white 66 4x4 that had no windows in it that passed in looks as a panel.
Allen
1966 F-100 4x4 390hipro
1964 Galaxie 428 ci
1967 F-100
1968 F-350 crew truck
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

What I'd like to see is more pics of that Slick in your avatar! :shock:

A Slick panel truck would sure be cool. The last ones I recall seeing from Ford was the fridge bodystyle. This '59 looks tough. 8)

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Bill

Post by Bill »

That is one good-looking 59 truck. The one I saw was similar to that with regards to the lower rear part of the body though it had rear wheel openings more like what’s on a slick. The roof was nowhere as rounded as that one it followed more of the lines of the slick roof and it wasn’t a 4x4.

I will post some more shots of the hillbilly hotrod up as soon as I finish putting the new rear in it, should be done this weekend.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Thought I read somewhere Mexico got slick panel trucks? Could easily be mistaken on that.

O/T, I have seen on eBay, courtesy of Fordification, Mexican Ford carry-all type trucks. 4 door "suburban" type vehicles. :oops: Sorry, easiest way I could think of describing it.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Comet

Post by Comet »

Very cool. I'd love to see a slick panel get done. Love that fridge 4x4!
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

haha it looks funny as hell, but in an awesome kind of way, unlike many of the trucks I have seen recently. A sick would be very nice. Windows in the back would be nice, but the "panel" truck style is bitchin. Looks almost like it ought to be on top of a Monster Truck Chassis.....
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

Yeah, I asked about this a while ago, and some of the guys came up with photos of Slick panels that were ambulances. Look back in archives and they should show up.

Slick panels are kind of like UFOs or the Loch Ness monster I think. Well, maybe not that hard to find.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

I can imagine that as an ambulance... it would be quite good. I think the saggy econoline ambulances they got now wouldn't be worth a heap of dogshit on a bad road.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Z-MAN

Post by Z-MAN »

[albumimg]2796[/albumimg]

Some kinda of uni ambulance conversion and I wish I could find one.

Z
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

How would you drive that Fridge with no mirrors?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

How would you drive that Fridge with no mirrors?

You can't drive it. There is no way to get in. No door handles. :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Maybe it has a Chebby engine, so It's not meant for driving. Just leaking oil on the driveway.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

If I recall, it had no engine. It was on eGouge a few years ago as a 2/3rds finished project truck. At least the hard part (paint) was done. :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I believe FoMoCo Invested heavily in Falcon Vans as of 1960, and there were no more F-series panel trucks made by FoMoCo after that.
Although FoMoCo did produce a Falcon Based "Courier" Sedan Delivery, thru 64 or 65 I believe.

Then about 1965 Falcon Vans became Econoline or "E" Series Trucks. They started to build E-150s & E200s then E-300s appeared in 69. . . . So No Slick Panels or cargo vans that were single bodied were ever built on the F Series Platform that I ever found out about.

Why would I know all that useless and meaningless :bs: ?

Well, Because at one point I wanted to combine a 78 F Series & 70's E series window Van , A club chateau in fact, to make a "Suburban" from a SWB Supercab F-250 I had. I got upside down with my research, then skipped the idea completely when reality set in. ss_pokes2.gif :shock:

:roll: Why on earth would I want to copy something GM was already doing? :oops:. . . NOT ! :lol: :rotflmao: point.gif :rotflmao:

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

In the early 60s we had a courier as one of our mechanic vehicles. It was a 58 ranchero with a full rear panel body on it.
Fred