anybody know what it takes to mate a FE to a Tremec 5 speed?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

blackagatha

anybody know what it takes to mate a FE to a Tremec 5 speed?

Post by blackagatha »

I think it would be pretty sweet. And I would throw away all ideas about a gearvendors unit for my C6. Bleedin power-hog anyway.

Non-Slick related link, but where I came up with the question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mus ... dZViewItem
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I found a place a while back that makes the adaptor, I'll see if I can find a link again. Think I searched T-5 behind an FE. Should be the same adaptor for a T-5.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Use a lakewood bellhousing......Hydraulic clutch and order it with a Forward option for the shifter.

Simple

Garbz
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Here is a TKO a guy is selling in one of my Stang forums.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/pp-class ... 7119/cat/8
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Oh that will be a sweet setup. I am jealous, except about the not being able to drive it in the rain/snow part. :wink:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Garbz wrote:Use a lakewood bellhousing......Hydraulic clutch and order it with a Forward option for the shifter.

Simple

Garbz

That is the esiest way to go. You have to do bell housing mods even if you get the adaptor.

You can use the AFT shift if you don't want to use the center of your bentch or if you are running buckets.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Just recieved the new speedway catalouge and they now list lite weight steel bells for 385 series and FEs for the TKO

Use either one for a manual clutch linkage or a Hydraulic clutch

910-27013 for the FE

91-27024 for the Lima.

394 dead washingtons.

I will probally order one late next week for the 410.

Garbz
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

sweet.
How much power can one of those t5s / tko600s be expected to hold up to?
ImageImageImage
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

www.fortesparts.com is one of your best friends for Tremec information. Also helpfull would be the Tremec website. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

I have had a first gen Tremec TKO(3550) for 6-8 years now and have been bashing the ever living crap out of it. My 427 generates 550+ ft/lbs of torque now but in it's previous incarnation it made over 600! My trans is rated over 650 and has been known to handle nearly 750 stock. Check out the Tremec class in the NMRA.

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/forumd ... order=desc
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

No doubt on the TKO 3550 taking the power. A friend of mine has one behind a 572, and try as he might it still has not broken in 8 years. Granted it is not in a daily driver, but it does take abuse when he drives it. I have seen him pull the front wheels a foot off of the ground numerous times.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

BigTim wrote:No doubt on the TKO 3550 taking the power. A friend of mine has one behind a 572, and try as he might it still has not broken in 8 years. Granted it is not in a daily driver, but it does take abuse when he drives it. I have seen him pull the front wheels a foot off of the ground numerous times.

haha I don't think 8 years of daily driving puts the strain of a single wheelie... haha
ImageImageImage
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

ELpolacko wrote:www.fortesparts.com is one of your best friends for Tremec information. Also helpfull would be the Tremec website. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

I have had a first gen Tremec TKO(3550) for 6-8 years now and have been bashing the ever living crap out of it. My 427 generates 550+ ft/lbs of torque now but in it's previous incarnation it made over 600! My trans is rated over 650 and has been known to handle nearly 750 stock. Check out the Tremec class in the NMRA.

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/forumd ... order=desc

those are some good links...
How much do you got into the "setup" ie trans, bell, clutch, MC, slave etc, all told?

I was originally aimed at getting a Gearvendors OD for my C6, but new, they run about 1800. The C6 is already a big heavy HP hog, and I hate making it even bigger. I think a "bullet proof" rebuild for the C6 is about 700+. SO it gets expensive to go that route. It will be expensive either way. I LOVE having control over what is going on, and a trans that if I keep lube in it, and don't make it explode will last forever without needing rebuilt all the time.

just for kicks, what kind of power do you guys think a 390, crossbolted and turned into a 442 might be able to pump out with the help of a couple of turbos? It's somethin that's had me wonderin for a while.
ImageImageImage
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

There is a guy running a 2x paxton blown stroked 428 in a Mach 1 that I saw in HotRod Mag making in excess of 1000 hp. Build it right with enough Cubic inches and enough cubic money and 1000-1200 shouln't be that hard on race fuel and like 20 pounds of boost.
Cheers,
Jarrod
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

When I bought my trans it was $1,800 with the forward shift tower $300. And I had annother $750 in a custom 14# steel flywheel and light weight clutch cover and Kevlar unsprung disc from www.10000RPM.com Plus my Lakewood bell housing and CNC brand slave cylinder and master. I use a HD throw out fork and bearing, stock style.

All told I have about $2,300 in the whole set up. I did change out the lightwieght clutch and flywheel to a SFI rated Centerforce Dual friction and one of their SFI steel flywheels. Behaves much better on the street.

A few years back we did the same conversion on a buds 48 Plymouth with a 360 in it. Came out about the same price. His has the Dark Horse Mid-shifter that leaks after about 10K miles.

I did one behind a 514 Ford with all the gear from Fortes Parts and coupled it with a dual disc system from McLeod for about $2,800.

I could imagine getting it done for less in your application if you could find a stock bell housing and clutch release system for a top loader style trans. The "Ford" tremec uses the same trans pattern. Same goes for the flywheel and clutch. If you use the forward shift tower it damn near comes through the stock four speed trans tunnel hole. Talk about an easy swap!
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

$2300 aint bad...

A toploader bell might make things work out cheaper. Was it the same bell for the "granny gear" 4 speeds as it was the "high gear" 4 speeds?

If it is, that might make it a bit easier to find...
ImageImageImage
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

I have no idea, Ford used so many different transmission configureations. Its enough to make a man pull out his hair trying to figure it all out.

Thank you,
Steve