I've talked about doing this for a while....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JFCDeuce

I've talked about doing this for a while....

Post by JFCDeuce »

I just want to share some updated pics of my slick which was feeling a bit negected for a while.

I finished a few small mods on my old straight 6 to give her a bit more pep.
[albumimg]3127[/albumimg]
[albumimg]3126[/albumimg]

Also I found a little help in a 1965 Thinderbird to help me make that T-5 shifter fit.
[albumimg]3128[/albumimg]
[albumimg]3129[/albumimg]
(Some guy's been letting thecar rot behind his shop, he was more than happy to part with the seats.Previously I had to lift the front of the stock bench 2 inches, and fab up a rediculous looking stick that resembled an upside down question mark.)

Anyway I've got a long way to go....
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

WAAAAYYY FREAKING COOL!!!!!!! Darn near makes me want to redo my 223! In case you don't know, the S-10 tailshaft will relocate the shifter to a more stock location and replace that Mustang shifter with a taller one. You may also be able to just use the S-10 shifter if you like where it's at. Or one of the short throw shifters with a longer handle.
See ya got going on stuff I was checking out for mine, lol.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
mrcando_66F100

Post by mrcando_66F100 »

That's cool stuff. I have a 240 now but when I finish my cab I am dropping a new 300 with Clifford performance parts.....New headers, 390 4bl carb...etc. I'm jelous that I'm not as far along as you are.
mrcando_66F100

Post by mrcando_66F100 »

How much of a difference in pep did you see after you added the new manifold and carbs????
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

sweet!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
JFCDeuce

Post by JFCDeuce »

Greg D wrote: the S-10 tailshaft will relocate the shifter to a more stock location and replace that Mustang shifter with a taller one. You may also be able to just use the S-10 shifter if you like where it's at. Or one of the short throw shifters with a longer handle.

I don't mind the shifter placement with the buckets, I will be changing out the stick itself shortly, I like the look and it's easier than swapping out the tailshaft... (or finding a tail-shaft at least.) I really like the short throw option, with a full truck lenght stick it was a bit rediculous (24"-ish of movement.... ha)
JFCDeuce

Multi-carbs

Post by JFCDeuce »

mrcando_66F100 wrote:How much of a difference in pep did you see after you added the new manifold and carbs????

I made the classic mistake of changing a lot of things at once, so i cant tell exacly what made the most difference... But I definetly feel a big difference in umph! You can hear that the engine likes the multi carbs.. and well, so does the gas-man.. I havn't checked the MPG yet, but that's not why I built that set up... Also getting rif of the granny 4 spped made first gear a bit more usable. (I can break the 275 60 R15's I've got on the rear really easy now.)

I'm still looking at a progressive set up, but with the butterfly shafts parallel to the block it makes things tricky, There's going to be a lot more linkage fabrication to make that happen. (the Accelerator pumps are so good on those little holleys, that it dumps gas when you get on it (neraly to the point of bogging down.) I'm looking into modifying a DuraSpark Dizzy for the 223 to keep up. I think the centrifugal advance will help over the vacuum only Load a Matic.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Looks good and apparently runs good too. I also was thinking along those lines but got caught up and am switching to a 302 with an AOD. How do you stand it in LV without air? I've got to have it here in Louisiana...hence the engine change.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
JFCDeuce

Post by JFCDeuce »

Gritsngumbo wrote:How do you stand it in LV without air? I've got to have it here in Louisiana...hence the engine change.

It's tough not having air. , I'm looking into how to add it to the 6, Its torque-y enough to take it, so with a little bracket-ology I should be able to make something work.

(option two is to pull he six, drop it in a roadster or older pickup (preferably a pre-40 ford. etc), and drop a 302 with all the fixin's into the Slick.)
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Nice looking upgrades & the new seats are looking schweet! :thumright:
I bet the exhaust note sounds pretty cool now. :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
64fordf100292

Post by 64fordf100292 »

hey there. have you ever checked out fordsix.com???? heres the site. these guys will have all the info you want to make that lil 6 run like a bad out of hell. that duraspark conversion. you know how to do it????? from my understanding, all u do is swap out the gears(223 gear will have to be reamed to fit the 240/300 dizzy) and make sure you got the 64+ oil pump and shaft. pre 64 shafts are to small. the 64+ oil pump shafts are the same size as the 240/330 oil pump shafts. the shaft for the 64+ is 5/16 if i remember correctly. the pre 64 shafts were like 1/4.

heres a testiment to that lil 6. i had one in a 64 f100 4spd. just had rebuilt that lil motor(all by myself. first time rebuilding a auto motor),had bout 250 miles on themotor and i pulled a 1987ford crown vic 60 miles on a car dolly. never even flinched. no overheating. nothing. and that was with the load o matic still on there
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

The truck is looking very sweet. I like the nostalgic look and the engine and T-bird seats are very period specific. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the photos with us.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that is way kewl. :thumright: :thumright:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Awesome. Well done. I'd like to go in a similar direction with my 223...