Gas tank removal question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63f250uni

Gas tank removal question

Post by 63f250uni »

Hey all, dumb question....I'm trying to get my gas tank out and when I cranked down on the nuts under the truck they just keep spinning. I can't find a way to hold the bolt to get the nut off...is there a trick to this? I can't access the bolt head because it's hidden under the tank....

Thanks....
1963 F250 Unibody
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

You are trying to remove the cab mounts.
You have to remove the bolts above the tank first, disconnect the fuel line at the tank, then remove the filler tube. The tank will lift out of the brackets that are held in by the cab mount bolts.
I hate Message Boards.
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

I was able to get the tank out of those brackets without removing the bracket bolts.

The unibody cab mounts aren't related to the gas tank...
1963 F250 Unibody
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

Did you take the top three or four bolts out right under the rear window? Once these are removed, the tank will lift right out of those brakets. (Once you remove the other items i mentioned earlier.)
pic
I hate Message Boards.
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Yep, I removed those three bolts and the tank came out....it didn't want to come out, but I was able to convince it to come out. :boxing:

Thanks for the help....
1963 F250 Unibody
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

When I put my tank back in, I put som cork gasket material between the bracket and the floor and some rubber strips between the tank and the brackets to keep vibrations from resonating the tank. It made a huge difference.
I hate Message Boards.