power steering and disc brakes for the uni

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

pipedobber

power steering and disc brakes for the uni

Post by pipedobber »

I was able to spend the whole long weekend working on the uni. I owe my wife greatly. I did a front axle swap from a 79 1/2 ton 4x4. I also added a power steering gear box from a 76 1/2 ton 4x4. I replaced the c-bushings, radius arm bushings and completely went through the front axle. I must say, it is an unbelievable diffence to go from manual drum brake and hydraulic ram assisted steering to power disc brakes and power steering. Was a very time consuming swap, but the payoff is a very good one. If any one needs a front axle with the hydraulic ram setup for parts, it is complete hub to hub and leak free. Have all the hoses and steering linkage as I just unbolted from radius arms and unhooked the lines.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Forgive me for being the snoopy sumbitch that I am. :lol: I followed your pic links in this thread; http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35373 to see if you had any pics of your truck...my enquiring mind wanted to know. :peepwall:

I hope it's ok that I post a couple pics of your truck here? :D

I take it this first pic is before the swap & the 2nd is after?

Looks like an awesome project truck, keep at it! :woohoo:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
pipedobber

Post by pipedobber »

The first picture is of the truck the day I drove it home. The previous owner put different wheels and tires on to try and solve a steering problem. It didn't fix the problem because the track bushings were completely gone. I put new bushings in and the truck drove fine. I have done the swap for convenience and mostly safety. Now all that is left for the drivetrain is to find the source of a vibration I get at approximately 40 mph. I think it is the splines on the driveshaft are getting worn. Thanks for the comment and hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. :D
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

If its not the driveshaft you may won't to check the spring eye pin thats at the front of the spring. You should jack up the frame so it will take most of the pressure of the axle and you can check the pins. Mine where 1/2 bolts Drivers side the bushing was bad the passenger side the mount was worn by the bolt had to have a used mount installed. I had a vibration in the gas and off the gas but not when coasting. My rear axle you could say it was walking because one side would move then the other side would move. Its just something you can check because these trucks are old.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
pipedobber

Post by pipedobber »

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind to check also. Long hours at work and short daylight hours keep this a weekend thing.
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

That's a really sweet Uni 4x4. I'm a bit jealous :p
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.