Can anyone recommend a good truck cover/tarp?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Can anyone recommend a good truck cover/tarp?

Post by The Big M »

I'll be moving to a new place soon that doesn't have a garage, and I'd like to find a good cover. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something durable, affordable, and with a decent fit. It's mainly to keep my truck out of sight. I'm not worried about the finish on the truck, as it's pretty weathered as it is, but I do need to keep snow from getting into the cab. I'm missing the driver's window, which I intend to seal up with some heavy plastic, but I don't think plastic would hold up very long if it's subjected to wind and UV. So the cover is just for some extra protection.

It's for a longbed uni.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Princess auto is supposed to have truck covers on sale right now, Jason. check 'em out.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Awesome. An excuse to visit Princess Auto! :lol:
Phil

Post by Phil »

I have had TERRIBLE experiences with car covers.
They collect moisture and destroy the paint and
cause mildew on vinyl tops.

My buddy is repainting a guys plum crazy cuda because a barn
roof leaked on the roof.
The cover held the moisture and it rusted the roof.

My 70 Torino was messed up from a cover, mildew and paint
dulling/clouding happened. My new 93 Mustang was outside
with a very high quality 2 layer cover.
Same clouding of the paint occured.
It also did not protect the car at all from hickory nuts that fell on it.

One day I put the cover on my vert in my front yard because the roof is
bad. Wind blew tree sap on the cover and unknown to me I put it on my
black car one day. A suprise summer shower came over and it washed
the tree sap out onto my black Torino. God that was a colossal mess.

Some other guys exp:
http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewto ... bile+cover

I'd buy one of those Costco tarped buildings, slip a trash bag over the
door or fix the window and leave it out
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

You guys have a parts store called Princess Auto?? :shock:

Pardon me while I.... :rotflmao:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Combat_Medic

Post by Combat_Medic »

I work in the flatbed maintenance and repair division at Prime Inc... I have hundreds of trash tarps that are taken out of the fleet because of large tears or ripped seams, but they are great for truck/boat covers simply because of the size. We sell them for 25 bucks. You can cut out whatever shape you want as the tarps are 18'x24' and larger. Thick material too. Not for any of you finicky types, but they get the job done.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The ultimate man store, Slick. I think your Harbour Freight is similar
http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?CT ... entPage=26
that's the truck cover link Jason
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Effie

Post by Effie »

My '78 Bronco is topless and I just keep it covered with a heavy duty tarp from Lowe's. Keeps the water and leaves out...when I remember to cover it up. d'oh!
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

Effie

Post by Effie »

My '78 Bronco is topless and I just keep it covered with a heavy duty tarp from Lowe's. Keeps the water and leaves out...when I remember to cover it up. d'oh!
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

topless cant be beat :twisted: I use an old oiled canvas military surplus tarp that I got at Smith & Edwards (the country boy store! local thing) for $15 to cover the boat up. works pretty good since the actual cover for my boat was shredded last summer.
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

I bought an inexpensive cover at pep boys. To keep the wind from ripping it up, I went around the whole truck along the sides with some shrink wrap. It never tore, blew off etc and is still in good shape after 2 years. The best thing is taking the wrap off it rolled up as a big rubber band. I can reuse the wrap over each time. All the bungys in the world are never enough.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Be careful if you go the canvas tarp route!! Many of those, including the military types have a parafin wax coating on them that causes the water repellancy. The sun, heat and some chemicals will take that stuff off and leave it on your Slick along with the color of the tarp.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

Max wrote:Be careful if you go the canvas tarp route!! Many of those, including the military types have a parafin wax coating on them that causes the water repellancy. The sun, heat and some chemicals will take that stuff off and leave it on your Slick along with the color of the tarp.

Never had a problem with that on the boat, but then again it sits on the north side of my house and doesnt get a lot of sun or anything. One thing I did do was put some heavier plastic sheet under it but that just got the main part of the boat, not ALL of it is covered with the plastic as well.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I got a good handful of them for various things and some of them I noticed would do that, especially when they're brand new. Just be careful!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
STYLN63
United States of America

Post by STYLN63 »

The one I use is a cover for an '85 F-150. It has the multi layers to be weatherproof,mildew-proof and soft for the finish. Hope this helps, part number 269-90306.
It looks like they have it as a universal fit now. Mine is 10 years old and used to be a direct fit part number for the '85 F-150. But it has done me well on the '63 UNI.
Gus Engel
STYLN63
63 UNI BIG WNDW
545c.i.d./T56
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may just tape up the window and hope for the best. We tend to get several freeze-thaw cycles in the winters here, so I'm concerned about a tarp holding moisture.
mrcando_66F100

Post by mrcando_66F100 »

:?: Question? Do you guys get a dress, shoes & crown for each purchase at Princess Auto? I think my little girls would prefer I shop there. :rotflmao: