aerostar front end install on 62 slick

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Hello All.

I'm new to this forum. I have a 1962 short box uni, some pictures are posted in my album.
I am posting to find out if any of you have done or know someone who has done an aerostar front end mod to a slick. Z-Man said Johnny Canuck may have done one.
Thanks for listening
Mike Kincheloe
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yes, indeed. Mine was inspired by a Texan named "packrat"who is due to report back to this forum, according to Uncle Skip.
It was also done at the same time as Forum boss Matt. Also the truckfarmer has done one. There are several other guys here that run theirs. How can we help you?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Johnny

Thanks for replying. I began seeing this swap a couple of years ago on someones website and my computer died and haven't been able to re-locate the web site. So I want to do this swap on my truck but don't feel like re-inventing the wheel so to speak. I have the fabrication skills necessary and can get the parts.
What I would like is some advice from those that have traveled that road so as not to make to many mistakes and end up with something not drivable.
That being said is there a year or year range that is best to use. Any critical locations or dimentions to pay attention to, alignment wheel fitment ect.

I realize I might be asking a lot so feel free to tell me if this is beyond the scope of this forum.

Again thanks for your information in advance.

Mike Kincheloe
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Nope. ask away. I am sure other's who have done the swap will pipe in an help out. Basically, you need a 2wd Aerostar cross member, upper and lower A arms, spindles, brakes and bearings. as well grab the brake hoses and hose holders on the frame, and the sway bar mounts (and bar). Also critical, get the connection between the steering box and the column. Mine came cut out of the Aerostar with the frame pieces still intact. The frame depth on a 61-64 slick and an Aerostar are about 1" to 3/4" different (the slick is skinnier in height), so you need to put a thick plate on top of the frame, cut in to level it out to match the bottom.
This will give you pretty close to stock ride height for a Slick.

Mine is in addition cut into the frame 1" on the bottom, and I cut 1/2 a coil off the springs, and it still is not dropped much from stock ride height. I will be cutting another 1./2 coil off the springs. The springs are stiff with a smallblock installed. Of course if you are looking for stock ride height just sit the frame on the cross member.
some pics
[albumimg]53[/albumimg]
[albumimg]52[/albumimg]
[albumimg]50[/albumimg]
[albumimg]46[/albumimg]

link to a whole heap more pics from 3 different trucks including mine:
http://groups.msn.com/slick60sfordfseri ... rsion.msnw

That enough to get ya started?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Yeah, what Johnny said!

I have done a couple of these Aerostar swaps and they are the easiest I have ever done.

I have an extra 64 frame and was wondering if there is a market for a frame with the Aerostar (or Jaguar) IFS already installed. Just a rolling chassis that you bolt your truck onto. In case I get bored this winter.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Hey Guys

Thanks a lot and you are the ones I was looking at some time back. Very happy to have found you again. Very good documentation and pictures. Looks as if the rotating of the steering rack might be the hardest to do.

Looks like I might have to go after market or later model on the steering shaft as the 62 is connected to the steering gear directly.

My 62 has the Y block 292 V8 and 4 speed. I am considering keeping at least the engine. I've got a couple of 390 automatics either C6 or FMX don't remember which without looking and they aren't easy to get to right now. Either one should work any way.

Looks like my winter project might be taking shape :D

Again thanks for the response and have a good day. Will keep you posted.

Mike Kincheloe
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

My steering column is a '79 ford truck tilt. but, you can use any column you can make work for length. on mine, I knocked the rag joint flange off the bottom of the shaft, leaving the splines there. Then I bought a piece from Borgeson that hooked up the Aerostar intermediate part to the splined ford end. Nothing more was required.

Yes, laying back the rack is the hardest part. you have to make sure the steering arms are in the same place, and fab some 45 degree mounts for the rack.