power assist steering

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JFCDeuce

power assist steering

Post by JFCDeuce »

I've just been given the option to pick up some parts from a '63, It has a power assist steering ram set up on it, I just don't know what a fair price for that piece is.. (it looks like an octopus is hanging onto the pitman arm.)

Any idea what I should expect to pay/offer for it? it's a friend of friend so i want it to be fair, (ps: I know it works, well.)

Thanks
greythorn3

Post by greythorn3 »

steet clear from that crap... literally.. thats what i have.. get yourself a steering box from somthing newer that has power sttering in it.. them octopussys are a nightmare..
Ray
wheelordie.com my alaska offroad website
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

I certainly would not give much for that setup. I worked (fleet) on these vehicles all through the years that this system was in use, and every one of the cylinders would eventually start to leak in the center position(wheels straight ahead) cause thats where they spent most of the time. Plus you had the hoses hanging out to get caught on stuff, and they had poor road feel and tended to wander slightly. Just my opinion.
Fred
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Wow, I never heard these complaints before. The system does have leaks just due to teh nature of the design. When it is fresh it works great but when it gets old it will leak. This system was used for decades on a ton of stuff and every 1965-1970 Mustang w/PS used it. It does lessen road feel but if it is working properly it will not change anything else. It lessens road feel because it is power steering, that is the nature of the beast. Some systems are better than others at giving feedback (that is why variable ratio boxes are so popular) but it is not horrible and a Slick is not a slot car no matter what you do. I have seen systems in the $300 range but never saw one actually sell. Go for it if you want your truck to have PS and keep an original look. Hawkrod