engine swap to 240-300 CI

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

don luster

engine swap to 240-300 CI

Post by don luster »

Hey guys havent been on the site for several weeks because I have been to Okla and was driving a covered wagon from the red river of texas across Okla into kansas on the Chissum Trail with a herd of Longhorn cattle. Now my questions. I keep leaning toward the later ford 6 cyl engines instead of my 223 1963 engine. Has anyone put a latter 6 cyl engine into a slick. How late a engine could be installed without terrible amount of work. If the fuel pump, computer and sensors were removed from vehicle, how big a problem would this be to make run correctly? Or would it be best to buy a earlier engine and just rebuild it? Or would it be better to buy a later engine and change things over to earlier carbs etc.// I really want a std shift truck and would like a floor type model with a good 5 speed with overdrive. Has any one tried this combination and how much trouble is the clutch linkage to engineer for this slick?? Thanks for reading and for any feed back thats negative or positive. Or maybe any other suggestions. I want something that will get good gas mileage and have some pulling power with the late 6cyl is noted for. Thanks again Don Luster
don luster

Post by don luster »

Sorry I must have asked a really dumb a-- set of questions. I try to be more considerate and not do that next time Don
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

EFI 300-6s don't do that well with a carb, grab the exhaust manifolds one though. You can change the cam etc and make one work better, you will get better info on that from someone else though.
M5OD from a 92-96 F 150 would be perfect for a tranny, I will have details on installing one in a straight axle truck down to the last bolt but not for awhile (with a 302 though).
Your best off going with an aftermarket set of engine mounts (swap mounts), a big slick horseshoe 240/300 mount will work for the engine but not well with a late model tranny.

Patience there Don.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
megabork

Post by megabork »

elaborate on covered wagon story
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

The latter EFI engines are the same short block as the early 300/240. The heads are differant and the cam too.

If you want a sweet 300 then I would do the following:
1) Visit www.Fordsix.com and read up! (I am over there as well)
2) Get a used 300 from a salvage yard. (try to get an EFI with a 5 speed from a truck)
3) Do a stock rebuild using the parts for the year of the block.
4) Use a stock 79 or aftermaket RV camshaft.
5) use the EFI head and exauhst manifolds.
6) Get a Offy-C or Offy-DP 4 bbl intake. (C for higher RPM and DP for lower rpm.)
7) Use a 390cfm Holley or 500cfm Edelbrock. (user preferance)
8) Buy or Build some mounts.

I am confident you will NOT be disapointed! This Combo will realy kick some ass!

I have a T-5 behind mine and I can get over 20mpg on the highway and 18 in town...OUT OF A 40 YEAR OLD TRUCK!!! :D

check out my website for more info on my build.

Oh and...WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
megabork

Post by megabork »

putting a smaller engine in our trucks might be illegal in texas and a few other states,check with local authorities
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Don,
I kept the 223 in mine and went with a T5 using the adapter setup sold by John Mummert (his website is yblock ford). I installed this setup about 3 years ago, and have been well pleased with it. I get a little over 17 MPG in town.
Fred
don luster

Post by don luster »

Thanks this is the information that I'm looking for. As to megaborg question. Go to www.cattledrive2007.com and click on the qallery which is filled with pictures of the entire trip. My next question is how much problem is it to used the later block and rob all the computer items with the air senors etc. Pluss the fuel pump. Is there a way to modify the pump outside the gas tank so the injectors will work properly? The engine I have is 223ci and only has about 5000 miles on it. I rebuild it completely in the late 80 for my dad and it still runs great and on oil using. I don't need a lot of power just passing power but want more gas mileage. I will go to the other sites you mentioned. How do I go to the site of the slick owner from arizonia. Sorry to be such worry wart. Thanks Don
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Well 64 was the las year for the 223 engine in the trucks, so you will not find any bolt on comp stuff.

The 240/300 started in 65 and whent to EFI in 80. So if you wanted you could swap a 300 EFI in, but as said before you would have to make mounts.

Since you have a fresh 223, I would do what you can to make that work. The stock Carb on those is not the best, I have heard of guys switching to differant ones and getting better performance and economy. Next thing would be to upgrade the ignition system. You can use the petronics or some have said that you could modify a 300 DSII dissy to fit (never looked, but sounds interesting.) The final thing would be to get an OD trans behind it. A T-5 out of an S-10 would be perfect. The shifter would be right and it would be light and be able to handle the power fine (oh...and they a cheep!).

Those mods should get you into the 18-20+ mpg range and make it a little quicker to boot!

If you have questions about any of these mods to you 223 I would search over at www.fordsix.com first and the start a new thread over hear (or there) if you still need help.

Good luck my man!!
Dan
My Build Thread
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Dan
My Build Thread
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

223 performance parts do pop up on Ebay from time to time. Another option I considered (before I said "I can have a V8") is to build headers & an intake for your 223. Let's face it the are essentially a bunch of cast tubes, the same process for building headers would work for a 223 intake. Then do the T-5 conversion, just a thought.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Don,
Go back to Oct 8, there was a posting there about the motor mounts.
Fred