Is there a market?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Truckfarmer

Is there a market?

Post by Truckfarmer »

I replied to another thread here and got to wondering. I have an extra frame from a 64. I was thinking about adding an Aerostar or Jaguar IFS to it. I would then sell it as a rolling chassis that someone would just add their truck onto.
Is there a need for this? What would anyone pay for a frame with independent suspension, disk brakes, and rack and pinion steering? Would it be worthwhile? Maybe I will find out that Rod Doors was right that we are all too "frugal" to buy something like this. I am not looking for a "buyer" here, just wondering what opinions are out there.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
oldtrucks
United States of America

is there a market?

Post by oldtrucks »

Truck Farmer

You should think of putting together a kit or at least a detailed set of instructions. There is a guy near me that does VW diesel engine swaps to the Suzuky Samiri. He provides either a parts list or the parts minus the engine and produced a vidio to go along with everything. Last time I talked to him he was doing pretty well with it.

Mike Kincheloe
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

I'd bet there is a market for kits - just maybe not yet :-)

Look at some of the Gibbon stuff and related hotrod frame kits. Can't find original parts anymore, and purists give the rodders a hard time for chopping & channelling original cars. But get one of these kits, and you can build your own rod and be fairly confident that all the parts fit and the car will be relatively safe to drive.

Wait until slick parts are a lot harder to come by, and by then prices will have risen to where you could sell frame add-on kits. As a "welding challenged" Ford fan, I'd buy one if I could be sure my project would turn out.

Merry Christmas ALL!
Doug
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

It's not something that is easily shipped, and I think that may limit your market. I'd agree that a parts list, video and instructions would probably sell better and reap similar profits.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Dwight,
I bet he'd reap greater profits once he mastered Kits et al up. There's a lot less labor, time & mats involved,
and virtually no shipping save for snail mail charges. :|

Seems everything I try to "Spec' Build" doesn't make a profit in the long run and, custom building takes time
most folks aren't willing to wait for, because when they decide they want something they want it yesterday. :shock:

Ya know what I'm sayin' there, I'm certain you been there & done that . . . . . :hm:

FBp :roll:
Change is the Only Constant
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I would think there would be a market...somewhat limited of course. You could offer both, the choice of a completed frame or a parts list/video instruction (or even offer the parts to do the swap). Price would be the key. Shipping of the frames would be a problem but you're pretty close to large population centers so many could pickup. Although we are all frugal, we also all look for value.

I find that sometimes if I calculate the time I spend scrounging for parts at the pick-a-part or other yards, or trying to do some welding or other work, many times I could actually save $$$ by buying new, from a resto, (or assembled) and spending my "hunt" time making money in my business.

The "hunt" is always a challenge, but in my market this more often leads to frustration and not success.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Pete is right on, spec building is a losing proposition. If you build one to develop a kit you can use the loss as part of the cost and that is fine, I do that all of the time, but to plan to build it to make money is usually a loser. I manufacture a number of various kits for bizarre and obscure stuff and my most popular used to be a T-5 for a Studebaker. Originally I was selling a complete ready to bolt in trans and bellhousing combo, now I sell a pilot bushing, front bearing reatainer, throwout bearing and instructions. It was just too hard to get people to buy it ready to go because most guys who build these type of vehicles are of the "I can do that" mentality. The reality is we are cheap which is why we do it the way we do it. If you were building a frame for a street rod it would be different but even then there is so much competition. Now, if you were planning on doing a top notch everything new 4 wheel independent disc brake etc... frame and powder coat it etc... I am sure there are a few buyers out there. Hawkrod

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I find myself in rare agreement with Hawkrod here. You'd be better off to find a customer in here, and close to you, who you built it specifically for, than just spec one and hope for the best. Even though I have an Aerostar, and had a professional welder with 30 years experience under his belt do it, I would probably bolt in a crown vic my next go. I'd also be more interested in Tbird or Jag IRS than IFS, because i wouldn't even know where to begin a IRS install.
Personally , If I were you, I would also consider the legal liabilities of building that for another. I could hardly find a welder to touch mine, until I stumbled on a hotrodder/welder who had done front clips before. Welders were scared shiteless that they would be sued if something came apart. Food for thought, Greg.

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

already is a market for it, bobs f100 sells rolling chassis from bare to completed in any stage.
you do good work, and word of mouth, (referrals) will bring you the best work.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Lots of valid points...but, the liability issue abounds in everything we do these days. Basically, that's why we have insurance. I'm not saying that we should all just go off willy nilly and not do the proper planning and take the proper precautions in the things that we do (and build), but the only way to avoid consequences is to do nothing. If we all did that our economy and out lives would grind to a halt.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Gritsngumbo wrote:Lots of valid points...but, the liability issue abounds in everything we do these days. Basically, that's why we have insurance. I'm not saying that we should all just go off willy nilly and not do the proper planning and take the proper precautions in the things that we do (and build), but the only way to avoid consequences is to do nothing. If we all did that our economy and out lives would grind to a halt.

yes... we must take calculated risks to accomplish anything. My opinion? Go for it, and Good Luck. hopefully you can make a few bucks.

As JC said though, go exotic, if you can afford it. an IRS would be slick in a full-mod truck. However, somebody has already been there done that- My dad found a kit somewhere to adapt a corvette suspension (full independent, pretty expensive, really cool)

However, as much sense as it Doesn't make, I'll wager that nobody will EVER convince me to put Aggie on anything but a straight axle. I love the old-school feel of the beam. I could probably put an IFS under it for a fraction of the cost that will likely be entailed in dropping/re-suspending the straight axle, but I like it and That's That!!! haha
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Thanks guys for the very valid points. Some of those ideas had occurred to me and that is part of why I asked the question. Bob's F100 does sell frames with Volare' already installed but they are for the 53-56 trucks and we all know their budgets are larger than the average Slick. I have a 53-56 frame and a 57-60 SWB frame that will probably be built first.
JC, email me and will send photos of the 1960 that my buddy is building with the T-bird IRS in it. Same guy that built the blue 65 that photos of just surfaced because of his gas door. Matt put a Jag IRS under his Merc.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

bobs f100 must have changed they had 61-66 slick chassis as well. 1500 for a roller. that was my quote from them 3 years ago.