EFI fuel tank mods for an early model tank???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Garbz

Post by Garbz »

turtle1056 wrote:You can not use just the frame pump by itself - lasts about a week before over heatin and fryin from cavitation

I have been using this set up in "Christine" for over a year and 14 thousand miles...Even drove it from PA to here in Arizonza.

Secondary frame pump only. With a bed mounted tank that provides gravity feed to the pump.

Garbz

oldtrucks
United States of America

EFI fuel tank mods for an early model tank???

Post by oldtrucks »

Guys.

My 86 Bronco uses the frame mounted pump. I have reverted to a carbed engine. I use the lift pump in the tank to feed another pump in the engine bay as the in tank pump will not feed the necessary pressure even to a carb. Darn it. It will idle but thats it. I left the boost pump in because the engine that I am using will come out at a later date and an efi motor will go back in.

Reguarding the return line, it can reenter the tank any where it is practical as long as it is above the full line of your existing tank.

Most electric pumps I am aware of do not "suck" very well so they need help on the suction side. gravity fed works very well. Mounting them as close to the fuel supply is the accepted way.

There are as many ways to mount and route pumps and fuel systems as there are people doing them. My advice is to do what ever is relevent to your application, ask a lot of questions and then make a decision you can live with. Keep in mind that what ever you do will need to be maintained so try to keep it a simple as you can.

Mike Kincheloe
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

old trucks are you using a factory ford rail pump from a mid to late 80s/early 90s f series pickemup? Reason I ask is them are the only rail pumps I know of that fail when not used with a lift pump. this is actually in an old Ford TSB (technical service bullitin) the lift pumps supply about 9 psi to the rail pump which is high pressure for EFI.

I understand the idea with gravity fed pumps. I run two aftermarket ones, one in my slick ( holley Red) and one in my 78 F150 which is a carter aftermarket over the counter, good luck to ya, no guarantee pump, neither are required to have a lift pump and both work well.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Pete.
Novel idea.
How big a resevoir and where do you tie back in the circuit? Behind the HP pump but in front of the pusher?
I've got to chew this one over for a bit but it sounds like the plan.
I'm new to EFI. I just hope the learning curve isn't to steep for an old man like me. :wink:
I'll be in touch.
Thanks,
U@ss

Alan.
My new project? How nice of you to ask. ROTFLMAO
Just a little hint.
Its a new Ford project. Not a new Ford.
From the distant past of my mis-spent youth.
It will fit in nicely with my Slick and they should be very happy living together at the Truck Stop here in Houston.
Should be way cool when I'm done.
When it finally gets to my shop in the next two weeks, I'll post some pictures and will be open for suggestions.
Max, you better not rat me out.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

the resevoirs are on ebay quite often
Easy to build if yur handy.

Need to make a tank that holds about a quart, mount a holley fuel bowl on one side high up, thats where the mechanical pump feed goes.

If you use a holley bowl with an integral vent you dont need to worry about venting the tank/resevoir

on the top put an inlet for the efi return
on the bottom a bung for the efi feed to the efi pump
lotta lines n such under the hood though
couldnt find a suitable place under my 64 hood cuz the engine compartment is full

Id post pix if i knew how

worked exceptionally well on our old drag car.