Trashing the 3speed wasn't really that big of a deal . . .

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Motocentro

Trashing the 3speed wasn't really that big of a deal . . .

Post by Motocentro »

It's the fact that the locked up tranny and rear sent me careening into the guardrail that hurts so much.

My slick got rocked pretty hard on I-20 today. I'll post pics tomorrow.

passenger fender
bumper
bumper "skirt" (?)
Pass. door,
Grill :x
Headlight door
upper grill (?)

Not to mention:
3speed
rear end (pretty sure it took a thrashing).

It's my only daily driver.
I'm back on the bike just a winter begins (which is ok).

Any advice, parts, pointers etc. would be helpful.

Here's the immediate plan:
Bodywork - not too concerned. Between the salvage yards, farms, connections, etc. I should be able to make these happen over the next month.

Tranny/rear -
Option 1: I have been talking to a local fellow about his LSC 302 HO and AOD. I don't want to go with an AOD, but since they are both running well enough I could stick it in for the time being. What is that ordeal going to be like? Any words?

Option 2: I'm pretty sure I can find a decent 3 speed somewhere close and bolt it in behind the 302, sell the AOD to defray costs and not have to worry too much about adaptations, etc.

I'm probably going to try and have my rear rebuilt with an LSD (it's a 3.70)

I wouldn't say I'm fighting tears, since this will put the fire under my butt to get these things done in short order and remove some of the hesitation involved in the projects.

The final word though. . .THIS SUCKS and I and heartbroken.

(The best part is that traffic was light enough and my friend and I didn't get hurt).
My new signature.
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Glad no one was hurt. It certainly sounds like you have the right attitude.

I'd be seriously bummed and my slick isn't my daily driver!

I'm not real good with advice, but I think if I was in your shoes I might take the opportunity to slide that AOD in there along with the 302. That'd be sweet - but I like AODs - since you don't...

The guy that towed mine from Decatur when it was stuck in first gear said these old Ford 3 speed are easy to find and cheap. He may have been talking out of his hat, though. I was able to fix mine so I didn't have to look.

And if I had to do that much body work on mine, it would have a sweet paint job when it was all done. Maybe dark candy apple red...
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sorry to hear that.glad you are ok.
no whining/howling noise or other warning?
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

CRAP!
that sucks. But as we know with these old girls, short of total destruction, just about anything is fixable, and it's worth it.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Good to hear no one was hurt. Sorry too hear about tyour truck. The grill and related parts will probably be the hardest to find in good shape for a decent price.

3 Speeds are usually easy to find cheap. I gave a couple away last year. Wish I would have kept one, mine is getting a little stubborn on the 3-2 downshift when cold.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Motocentro

Post by Motocentro »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:sorry to hear that.glad you are ok.
no whining/howling noise or other warning?

The night before, a slight rattling scraping that was intermittent and brief, and only in 3rd. Yesterday it started up about 30 miles from home . . . I had about 30 seconds before the tranny froze (pretty amazing sound), which lead to a roaring. Of course, the minute the tranny froze I lost any ability to disengage the rear.

It's really amazing that we didn't get hurt and that no other cars got involved.

I guess I don't have any choice but to build it like I have it envisioned, now!

Thanks for the support, everybody.
My new signature.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

I am glad that no one was hurt as well. Go and rebuild it now.
Cheers,
Jarrod
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

That's why we can't have too many slicks in our yards. The SUV driving, cell phone using, DVD watching types don't look out for us. that's why i have a parts truck at the side of the house. So the insurance company can't total it.
I'm sure you will find everything you need here on the site. If we don't have a spare to "spare" we can usually help you locate one.
I hate Message Boards.