where to find parts?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

don luster

where to find parts?

Post by don luster »

On my 63 stone guard that goes up front there were some caged square nuts that were spring loaded into the sheet metal. I have been unable to find the originals nuts. Sure I could fab some but would like to spend my time doing other things. These are the ones that are hard to get too. Thanks Don Luster
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Can you post a picture of them?

They have tons of hardware on www.mcmaster.com

I have ordered lots of stuff from them, good price and easy to deal with.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
don luster

Post by don luster »

No I don't have a camera to post pictures of the nut. The nut is a square nut that sits inside a narrow spring steel cage but can move in two directions without turning. Its a blind spot that would be very difficult to get a wrench into so that it would not turn when removing the bolt or screw. LCM catalog list the nuts but when I ordered them they came in as a speed nut made of sheet metal for screw with metal threads. I really don't think they can be made to work without modify the splash pan. The original just pop into the rectangle hole and keep the nut from turning Thanks Don
Comet

Post by Comet »

I think Totally Stainless sells those. I recently saw them somewhere and for some reason I think it was them, but I could be wrong.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Don.
Do yourself a favor and forget trying to find those nuts.
Use a hole saw on the underside of the core support where those nuts go.
This does two things, both of them good.
It allows you to use a regular nut and bolt on the stone guard, and gives you a good hole to allow moisture and water to drain out of the bottom of the core support.
Just prime and paint it after you cut the hole.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i agree. i did the same thing on mine.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

Yup, makes it easier to remove the grill later if needed and doesn't take away from the appearance as it will never be seen unless your under the truck.
Done that already as well.
I hate Message Boards.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

:clap: :iagree: If Ford did that the core supports would last a lot longer :thumright: on that suggestion,, I have seen 2 core supports done like that over the years
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

These are called "tinnerman or pal nuts. Follow this link and you should find what you want. When I restored the 61 Uni a while back we needed a few of them and I used this source and was satisfied with their products.
Also use tinnerman nut or pal nut as search words you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about these neat fasteners

http://www.boltproducts.com/tinnerman/n ... iners.html
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
Rosati

Re: where to find parts?

Post by Rosati »

don luster wrote:On my 63 stone guard that goes up front there were some caged square nuts that were spring loaded into the sheet metal. I have been unable to find the originals nuts. Sure I could fab some but would like to spend my time doing other things. These are the ones that are hard to get too. Thanks Don Luster

The spring loaded "caged nuts" were used to hold the hood latch into the upper valance and no where else that I can remember. The rest of the fasteneres can be installed with j-nuts or nut and bolts. I picked up a couple of boxes of fender nut and bolts from my local bolt bin supplier. They are relatively cheap.
I hate Message Boards.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

I dont know about the stone guard...

I had a busted caged nut holding the bottom edge of my right fender. what a pain. And Regular nuts holding the body together.

So the idea of using a hole saw sounds pretty smart. I guess some regular j nuts wouldn't work in there?
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
don luster

Thanks

Post by don luster »

Hey Mike Kincheloe, You are the MAN. That is exactly what I was looking far. I will call them as soon as I can get the holes measured and find the bolts so I know what size. Its terrible when you age and cannot remember what something is called and then not remember when you are in a large town that has as lot of special things but can not remember to look for them Thank you again and the rest of you for you comments and help. There must be something wrong with me because I really really have a tought time to cut a hole in something and do it the quick way. I would have my project much futher on down the road if I would do things the easy way but I really can not. Thanks again Don