FMX bolt up to my 66 352?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

greaseland

FMX bolt up to my 66 352?

Post by greaseland »

My clutch is fading fast and I am thinking I might like to have an automatic tranny like it came with origionally.

Any thoughts on replacing the fourspeed? I want it to be relatively painless. The auto shift lever is still on the column. linkage is probably gone. Currently there is a 4 speed toploader in there and I don't like that the shifter is located right by the seat.

Someone offered me an FMX trannie out of a late 60s mach1 for a hundred bucks. Anyone know if this will mate to my block without too many hassles. It seems that the FMX is a later version of the cruisomatic that was in the truck origionally.

Thanks
ME
Max Ehrlich

66 F100 Custom Cab Long Bed
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Max.
Be absolutely the FMX (C-6) has a round bellhousing top or it won't fit the 352.
All the small blocks and even the 385 series 429/460's have a flat top on the bell, and differ only in the distance between the two top mounting bolts.
As I recall, an FMX had a removable aluminum bellhousing with a cast iron valve body and the C-6 (they did make them for small blocks but they'll have the flat top too) is a one piece bellhousing/ body casting.
Other than that, you'll need the proper flexplate (automatic flywheel) and you should be good to go.
The 385 series flexplates look almost identical but have a different number of teeth and will bind up if you try to use one.
I don't remember if you have to take the pilot bearing out of the end of the crankshaft or not for the automatic. Seems like I remember that it isn't necessary but just to make sure, maybe someone else here can clarify that little detail.
Good luck.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think it would have to be a FMX from a FE block, which in a mustang would probably be a 390.
I doubt if they had them behind 390's in mustangs, i would think it would have been a C6, and that the FMX was for small blocks only. So unless someone makes an adapter to change an FMX small block pattern to FE, I'd say that would be one to leave alone.

Now all this is me guessing. Hawkrod can tell ya.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
greaseland

Post by greaseland »

Skip and JC thanks for the reply. I think the engine the FMX came from was a 351C.

Skip does changing the bearing mean pulling the crank? I don't think I want to go there just yet. It runs fine and the rear seals apear to be ok.

So if I look for a C6 it should come from a 390 or 360?

ME
Max Ehrlich

dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

You should be able to use a C6 from any FE (352, 360, 390, 428). Should all mount up the same, I think.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Max. 351C has the same bolt pattern on the tranny as a SBF (windsor).
not gonna help on your FE. The C6 from a 360 OR 390 should work. Same block as the 352, in both cases. Plus, the stock automatic, at least in '66 for a Slick is a C6
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
greaseland

Post by greaseland »

Well I found a c6 out of an f250 and had been mated to a 390, the guy wants $100, he claims it worked well. He might have the flex plate as well. Will the one from the 390 work in the 352?

Oh yeah and then there is the linkage. I need to find out what years I can use the linkage from. The automatic column is still in place but nothing that connects it to the tranny.

Thanks for looking
Max Ehrlich

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Max.
The 390 transmission will work just fine. Just make sure the top of the bellhousing is round.
I don't have any pictures, maybe someone else has some so you can see what we're talking about.
Good luck.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
greaseland

Post by greaseland »

Skip, I think I will be able to identify the bell housing based on your description. Thanks

Can anyone confirm whether the flex plate from the 390 will work. I believe that both engines are internally balenced

Anybody out there with a linkage assembly (I still have the column and shifter) they want to part with?
Max Ehrlich

banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

GL, I did this swap myself from a 352/3 speed to a C-6, using the setup from a '76 390 and C-6.

Like US says, the belhousing pattern is ROUND where it mates to the back of the engine. Clearly circular around the top.

Anything from the FE/C-6 combo will fit your 352.
Get the following from the setup, if at all possible:
Flexplate AND bolts (the auto ones are shorter)
Torque converter
Transmission
Rear slip yoke, if it has one
Driveshaft
Shift arm from the steering column down to the transmission, with adjustment or slip bolt
Inspection plate with bolts
Dipstick and tube
Steel vacuum line

Good luck!

The shift arm on the '65 steering column will not correctly connect to the '70s shift arm; you'll need to figure out a work around. I'll share mine, but that is for later.
greaseland

Post by greaseland »

Banjopicker,

Thanks for that info. It looks like I should start combing the junkyards for those items. The guy I spoke to withthe C-6 only had the trans and maybe the flex plate.

So I guess I have a wide range of years to choose from provided that the bell housing mounts up correctly.
Max Ehrlich

banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

The FE C-6 (perhaps other, I do not know) came with either a slip joint in the output tailshaft, or with a U-joint yoke, like what is on your 4-speed now, or what is on the rear axle pinion.

I ended up with a slip joint, and had the truck's original front driveshaft altered to fit. It works fine that way.

If you can get one with the output shaft as a U-joint yoke, I think it may ease the overall installation. Maybe, that is.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Lokar makes an ajustable aftermarket linkage as well, FYI.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!