Wild idea for Daisy

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

stronger66ratfink

Wild idea for Daisy

Post by stronger66ratfink »

was going thru some old pictures last night and came across some of my dad's 65 ranger I think it was? for it had the tool box compartments in the lower bed sides or side I guess again that they where on both sides of the truck? (only had views of one side), and I was holding the picture up and looking at Daisy and looking at those doors and I did notice first that these look like they came on long beds only? and Daisy is a short bed which made the idea of the custom conversion even more fantastic of an idea. If I could find a GREAT used set or if they could be purchase New which would be even better to me, I'll bet I could shorten them without to much of a hassle and Very, Very carefully cut into the 6 coats of Imron Paint without making her scream, it would add a real nice touch? or am I crasy? to mess with a good thing.
I've got almost 9 months before Slick Stock!
Mike
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I don't think it's crazy, Mike. It's whatever you want to do. I actually thought of doing the exact same thing on mine but decided not to only because of the look of it compared to a nice, clean bed. It would definitely be a good place to keep a jack, some tools and whatever else you might need on the road.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

There were shortbed in bedside tool boxes, you see then every so often. I personally couldnt bring myself to cut the bedside let alone a painted one! Nice looking truck as well! Factory ones are on the passenger side, I have never seen one on the driver side, you would have to look under the bed and see if there is any interference.
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

factory toolbox on drivers side 61 f250
[albumimg]1171[/albumimg]
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

They definitely came on shortbeds too, This came up at SS 2, I was having a converstion stating I had never seen one on a shortbed, then one pulled in the parking lot. By the end of the weekend I seen 3.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Ice, are you sure that's a factory installed one, or just a factory one that someone slapped in there?
Mainly curious because I've never actually seen one on the driver's side (even on later year Ford's), not that I'm the all-knowing Slick guy, by any stretch. :lol:

Here's a pic from an eGouge auction last summer.

Here's one I missed out on buying a while back by about an hour! :cry:

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Personally, I think its a great idea.
My problem is it would be in the way of my exhaust tips :oops:
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Slick Fan wrote:Ice, are you sure that's a factory installed one, or just a factory one that someone slapped in there?
Mainly curious because I've never actually seen one on the driver's side (even on later year Ford's), not that I'm the all-knowing Slick guy, by any stretch. :lol:

Here's a pic from an eGouge auction last summer.

Here's one I missed out on buying a while back by about an hour! :cry:

the 61-64 had a different length wheelbase.the toolbox on the uni has an notch on the inside for the rear spring.also its identical to the toolboxes in the pic you posted.the 65-66 lwb toolbox would be too big for the 61-64.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

I always wanted to the the toolbox like on the Fall Guy's truck on the 70s/80s TV show.

And for the record Daisy is just plain Bad Ass, IMO.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

I have a friend who happens to be a pilot, and painted his car with Imron (Airplane paint), with terrible results. It was pretty, but when the car flexes, it shatters off.

Maybe he just totally messed up the paint. Airplanes flex like crazy. Any ideas why daisy is still so pretty, or why the paint shattered off his car?
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Airplane paint is made to go on top of zinc chromate primer which self-etches into aluminum skin that most airplanes are covered with. It would work on automobiles but has to be prepped much differently since it would be a topcoat over steel.

Imron is DuPont's trade name for its automotive polyurethane finish but is used frequently in aviation applications.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
stronger66ratfink

Post by stronger66ratfink »

thanks for paint education Max, now that I spent about 2K in paint!
but I've used it before with lots of success and have always use the Dupont etching primer under with the sealer between that and the paint and it's always held up great, no signs of problems yet after almost 2 years
I'm also very aware of the dangers of using such a potent two part paint, since I've personnelly been blasted with the effects of not using proper protection, twice!
But I love the fact that I can wet sand as much as I dare need and polish it back out to that wonderful shine! but the next time if there is it will be in a NASA approved paint booth wearing a space suit.
Putting The tool box in the drivers side is to help keep road tools and supplies in, don't really like having to much lining in the bed. Already checked the clearance and all is good.
and thanks all for the info on the tool box so maybe it's not just a wild hair idea. since I did use the Imron if I can't get the opening cut out without damaging the paint it won't be hard to fix, but I know I can mask off the area and since the door has exterior trim it should be a surgery I can handle. now to find one for the short bed
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

It's definitely good stuff! But no matter how good it is, proper prep work is 90% of a good paint job and Mike definitely did his right! :clap:

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Thanks Ice, that purty interesting. :thumright:

BigTim wrote:I always wanted to the the toolbox like on the Fall Guy's truck on the 70s/80s TV show.

ME TOO! That was my absolute favorite part about that truck. 8)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!