Another column question..

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jwh f-100
United States of America

Another column question..

Post by jwh f-100 »

Will a manual steer/ auto trans column from a '72 fit in my '62? If so with what modifications if any?? I am considering converting to auto but would like to stay clear of a floor shift.

If the '72 column will not work what are my options?? Are auto columns in the older slicks easy to get your grips on???

Thanks in advance!! I want to get aggresive on my truck so many questions will be asked. :D
Rustbucket

Post by Rustbucket »

I used my original 3speed colum, hooked the linkage to the reverse-1st lever that comes out of the column. The only thing is I dont have an indicater on top the column. The rest of the linkage came from the van I got the engine/trans from. Real easy hookup. Dale
1965 F-100 Shortbed 351W.
1969 F-250 Camper Special
1984 Mustang Convertible
1949 8N Tractor
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Thanks Dale! My truck is now a four speed but has a 3 speed column as it was built a three. The PO cut the shift tabs off of the bottom of the column but I could weld a tab back on then find a lever and roll pin to reinstall a new lever. Maybe I get a peek at it at a MAC meet sometime.

Does it seem to stay locked into park OK with out the catch on the shifter??

Definately some decisions to make here. The PO did a "hack job" installing the windsor and four speed, all home made mounts, engine (the origonal x-member was removed), tranny, drive shaft center bearing, the clutch Z-bar is terrible, and to top it all off I know the driveline allignments are not even close. I want to remidy all of this but at the same time possibly do some "drivability" upgrades like go to auto maybe an OD manual and taller gears in the rear. Maybe my '72 or another truck would be a good donor to complete these goals.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Jwh f-100: I know you said you want to avoid a floorshift, but have you considered the Lokar shifter for an an automatic? The 23" nostalga model looks very much like the old granny 4 speed lever and should hit about the same place on the floor. That's what I plan to do when I install my AOD,
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
61ford

Post by 61ford »

you cant use a 65 or later twin i beam column on a straight axle truck goes thru the floor in different spots and will not hook up correctly fordboypete can give you a more technical explanation as to y it wont
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

The later column will not work for a 61-64 unless you do modifications. Your steering box has a one piece shaft that runs from the box to the steering wheel. Auto columns are available as it became an option on 63's. I have two. One that needs to be restored and one that is detailed and ready to use but has been sitting for a while (some minor scratches etc..). Unfortunately i am not inexpensive. Maybe somebody here will have what you need if not I can get you some pictures and we can talk. Hawkrod

Rustbucket

Post by Rustbucket »

It does stay locked without any problem. I had a little trouble feeling when it was in gear. I had some binding in the linkage. Once I got that straight , it feels fine. I guess you could nock it out of gear easily if you accidentally hit the shifter. I`ve never had that problem. I`m the only one that drives it. All the linkage came out of the van. I just had to shorten the pivot rod between the frame and the trans. I`ll try to send a picture if I can figure out how. Dale

.[/img]
1984 Mustang Convertible
1949 8N Tractor
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Thanks guys! I was afraid that would not work.
Grits,hawkrod and rustbucket. Thanks for the other options!!!!!

Here is another question. I think I will use the universal engine mount tubed crossmember from DC part # TD - 4819. If I stay with my manual 4 (reverse is over and up) would I need to use DC's TD-9424 with A 6" drop or the TD-4539 with a 3" drop for a transmission mount? Or is there a another option that is just as good or better that may even save me some cash? Suggestions on a drive shaft center bearing crossmember/mount would be welcomed also.

Thanks!
Rustbucket

Post by Rustbucket »

Jason, Sorry I can`t figure out how to post pictures. I`ll send you a pm if I can get it to work. Or i`ll see you next get-together. I have the original crossmember with my automatic. Don`t know about that universal stuff. I kinda miss the stickshift . You might be sorry with an automatic. Dale
1984 Mustang Convertible
1949 8N Tractor
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

My uni has the same collum hook up by a PO behind a FE

The slightest bump will allow it to go into reverse as there are no detents........ :shock:

Yes i chucked it for a custom collum.......I would not use any thing without a Detent or Netural saftey switch. My old man wrecked a 78 F150 when he started it in reverse and went over a bank....Added a 460 and C6 and the mech never hooked up the NSS.

In "Christine" i have a auto steering collum from a 88 F250 Tilt and cruze. The box was modified to fit the collum and the collum will be for sale along with the box. I also modified a cross linkage to actuate the C6 transmission. Pics of this are in my album.

Garbz
Rustbucket

Post by Rustbucket »

The neutral saftey switch is in the trans on my C6. I made sure that I had that hooked up. Dont know why a bump would knock it out of park. Not good!!! Dale
1984 Mustang Convertible
1949 8N Tractor
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

You might be sorry with an automatic. Dale

Dale I think you may be correct. My tranny seems to shift fine.I just got a little ahead of myself thinking I could use a ton of parts off my bump. If I get the PO's butcher work straightened out and throw in a tall rear I'll be in good shape. I think I will hit the parts wanted section for the rear manual tranny mount, and drive shaft center bearing mounting items.

Jason