Clutch Adjustment

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Macon ACE

Clutch Adjustment

Post by Macon ACE »

OK - I did a search and came up with several pages of posts, none of which seemed to have anything to do with adjusting the clutch...

Can someone please outline the process for me? Or tell me if there's some measurement that shows whether or not the clutch needs/can be adjusted?

Since the tune up, carb adjustment, Ignitor install, etc. my slick has more power and runs great! But the clutch is slipping. Every other manual trans vehicle I've owned had an auto adjusting clutch. Not this one, right?

64 292 3-speed.

ps: I know I need to buy a manual...
pps: TIA and Merry Christmas!

~ Rob
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
jeffw

c

Post by jeffw »

hey macon I adjusted mine not too long ago,, There are adjusting nuts on the rod that goes into the tranny that hooks to the clutch fork,,simply turn them to spec,,,don't know what spec is but I just did mine till by trial
and error,, or till she grabbed better, how ever you want to look at it,,if you need a pic let me know,,
don luster

Post by don luster »

If my memory serves me correctly, the clutch pedal should have between 1 to 1.5 inches of free play by adjusting the rod to the clutch. If this does not work with the clutch still slipping then guess what you get to pull the transmission and replace the clutch and pressure plate and I would also replace the throwout bearing and check on the pilot bushing/bearing also.
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

OK - thanks guys. I'll take a closer look underneath when I have some time.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT