Next step....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rosati

Next step....

Post by Rosati »

A little update on my progress.
I've installed AC in my truck at the end of this summer (needed to get a heater in case it got cold!) and decided it was time to get the FMX replaced ASAP since it is leaking fluid, stack shifts and slips on 2-3 upshift under accel.
I called a fellow in FT. Worth about a month ago and drove up to see him. We talked about my future drivetrain upgrades and what I wanted to do with the truck.
Yesterday I drove up to Waco to watch it run on the dyno and, man, what a setup. This thing was powered by a $%$ big block and it made the trans sing on the dyno.
I loaded it up the AOD and brought it home. I'll be starting the install this weekend.
[albumimg]3242[/albumimg] [albumimg]3241[/albumimg]
I hate Message Boards.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Are you mating the trans to an FE big block?
Tom Williams
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

No. It's a 351W and an FMX from a 74 Mercury Montego.
I just pulled em, cleaned em up and installed a new timing chain, intake and carb.
[albumimg]3243[/albumimg] [albumimg]3244[/albumimg] [albumimg]3245[/albumimg] [albumimg]3246[/albumimg] [albumimg]3247[/albumimg]
I hate Message Boards.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Lookin real good!
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

That does look nice. I'm getting ready to do the same thing myself. I will have the 302/AOD out of the Lincoln Town Car today and have a gallon of Marine Clean standing by for the cleanup. What engine paint did you use? Duplicolor or POR?
I'm thinking POR as I can use a brush and should be able to get into the nooks and crannies better.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Re: Next step....

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Rosati wrote:A little update on my progress.
I've installed AC in my truck at the end of this summer (needed to get a heater in case it got cold!) and decided it was time to get the FMX replaced ASAP since it is leaking fluid, stack shifts and slips on 2-3 upshift under accel.
I called a fellow in FT. Worth about a month ago and drove up to see him. We talked about my future drivetrain upgrades and what I wanted to do with the truck.
Yesterday I drove up to Waco to watch it run on the dyno and, man, what a setup. This thing was powered by a $%$ big block and it made the trans sing on the dyno.
I loaded it up the AOD and brought it home. I'll be starting the install this weekend.
[albumimg]3242[/albumimg] [albumimg]3241[/albumimg]

Lost me somewhere there ken but i gather you got a small block AOD (That was on a big block??on a dyno??)
Anyway lemme know how the shifter linkage differs from an FMX since I am considering this swap for the Bricklin.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Nice looking tranny. :thumright:
That would be cool to see a new tranny doin' it's thing on a dyno. 8)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Probably was a mule engine just for setting up re-worked transmissions.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

I posted $%$ because I didn't want to offend anyone with 454!
The engine is mate to a flywheel and adapter that can handle almost any trans you can think of.

I mounted the block on the stand and set the trans on a dolly so I could clean them and make any repairs necessary. At this point, I cleaned the block and heads with Engine Brite made by Gunk. This stuff rocks. To use it, spray your cold engine and let it set for about 15 minutes. Scrap off all af the heavy build up with a scraper and respray. Wait about 15 minutes more and start cleaning with a wire brush. I used some detail style brushes made of steel and brass. After everything dries, spray the surfaces down with brake cleaner then paint your pieces. I used Plastikote Engine Enamel Old Ford Blue #205 for the block, transmission, and related components. Low Gloss Black #215 was used for all detail pieces.

I did take some video of it running and you can tell the guys running it weres stoked at how it performed.
I hate Message Boards.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Rosati wrote:I posted $%$ because I didn't want to offend anyone with 454!

butbut.gif Why? I can't imagine anyone here having a problem with that. :dontknow:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

The trans is in. I spent most of the day yesterday getting it fitted. Today a spent a little time making the shifter cable bracket.
The only items I had to purchase for this install were the trans, a yoke, a dipstick, and a kickdown cable.
The flexplate, block plate, starter, driveshaft, and crossmember all worked an lined up.
I did have to remake one section of cooler line, a new shifter cable bracket and flip my crossmember 180 degrees and drill 2 new holes.
I should be firing it up Monday evening.
I hate Message Boards.
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

I took off this week for the holidays and managed to get everything hooked up. I drove it for the first time Wednesday.
Man, this AOD is awesome. Nice firm shifts.
My old FMX was plagued with stacked shufts, no down shifts, a slipping 2-3 shift, and 9 city - 13 hwy mpg.
I haven't run a full tank yet, but expect to see an improvement in mpg since I dropped from 3600 rpm to 2400 rpm in OD.
I hate Message Boards.
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Very nice!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap