how do the indash clocks work on slicks?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66fordlover

how do the indash clocks work on slicks?

Post by 66fordlover »

I got a in dash clock for my truck it looks origional it came in a slick dash but the hole was hand cut. it has three scerw heads on the back with rubber washers and a stem on the front that moves the hands but could also wind it .I cant get it to wind. I was hoping that somone could tell me how to make it work.I dont want to have to resort to gutting it and putting a new battery operated one behind the origional face. I will try to post a pic later
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There was no in dash clock, as factory optioned by ford. I have a '68 thunderbird clock (somewhere) that i am gonna use for the same tho.. got a pic?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
66fordlover

Post by 66fordlover »

ID: 3288ID: 3287ID: 3289 heres some pics i got a few different angles if you need them i can upload them too.
66fordlover

Post by 66fordlover »

well that didnt work i have them in my personal gallery but cant figure out how to bring them to the fourm
66fordlover

Post by 66fordlover »

[albumimg]3287[/albumimg][albumimg]3288[/albumimg][albumimg]3289[/albumimg][albumimg]3290[/albumimg][albumimg]3291[/albumimg] i thought this clock and a tach in the other hole would be pretty cool but it wouls be sweet if it actually worked
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: how do the indash clocks work on slicks?

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

66fordlover wrote:I got a in dash clock for my truck it looks origional it came in a slick dash but the hole was hand cut. it has three scerw heads on the back with rubber washers and a stem on the front that moves the hands but could also wind it .I cant get it to wind. I was hoping that somone could tell me how to make it work.I dont want to have to resort to gutting it and putting a new battery operated one behind the origional face. I will try to post a pic later

ok some clock info to help you out.
1. the clock is 12v,no battery, the screws on the back may be the leads,one could be to adjust the motor speed.

2.you do not wind the clock, you pull on the knob/stem and rotate back or forward to adjust the time.might only go forward.

3.there are little gears and tiny motor inside,they get covered with dust/dirt and stop moving.i have cleaned several out and got them to work again.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Looks like the clock out of a late 50's Ford/Lincoln
Looks like it fits the hole good. Tach stock is on the right side I believe, vacuum gauge on the left
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
66fordlover

Post by 66fordlover »

Thanks guys! I can see through the light hole that the screw next to it holds the guts in place,Ill have to get it apart and inspect it closer
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

I am pretty sure it is a 55 Ford clock missing the black plastic center and they are not 12 Volts. They had both electric and wind up but the electric was 6 volts. It sure looks like a wind up to me. I will wager it is already wound but because it does not work it is not unwinding to be wound again. Hawkrod
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I think Hawk is right on windup and 6 volts . I can remember dads 50 Ford , you would hear a click every so often as the clock was being rewound electricly.The most of clocks back then never seemed to last more than a couple of years.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Hawkrod wrote:I am pretty sure it is a 55 Ford clock missing the black plastic center and they are not 12 Volts. They had both electric and wind up but the electric was 6 volts. It sure looks like a wind up to me. I will wager it is already wound but because it does not work it is not unwinding to be wound again. Hawkrod

well Hawk thanks for setting me straight on that one.
did not think about 6v clocks and never saw a windup model before.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

That thing's just plain cool looking, I hope you can get it working. :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
65Truck_Nut

Post by 65Truck_Nut »

Hey guys!! I know this thread was started by 66fordlover but thats my wifes new account it was really me with the question ive been in password hell lol I have been looking for a balance to my dash. i want my tach inside but that left a big instrument on one side and a small gauge on the other . I considered a vacuum guage but couldnt find a new one that big.I guess the newer ones have shrunk since the 70s and 80s. I saw this clock on evil bay and it looked natural in the dash so i got it. now making it work. I believe it is a wind up because if you try to wind it, it will click a couple of times like its winding but feels like its already wound. its easy enough to take apart except the winding knob wont let the face come off and im afraid im gona break it pulling on it. think i could take it to a jewler or somewhere to have it fixed where would be a good place to take it? I afraid im gona screw it up myself.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Since I've never even seen one of those clocks up close, I could be wrong here, but...I bet the knob is screwed onto the shaft. The one on my '70 Charger is.

Hold the shaft with some needle nose pliers & try to unscrew it.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
65Truck_Nut

Post by 65Truck_Nut »

well the knob was screwed on and i got it apart .it wound but would not work .im going to use the face but go to a craft store and get a clock to put behind it and relocate the double a battery so i can change it easy and try it that way. it looks like trying to fix the origional one would be alot of trouble and if they only work a couple of years anyway i cant see wasting my time messing with it.
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

That clock is from a full size 55 Ford (Crown Vic, Victoria, Fairlane.) I have 2 of 'em! There were 2 versions, the windup by Westclock and a 6 volt version by a company out of Chicago. They look identical except for the winding stem on the front of the windup version. I believe that's what you have. Most folks that converted their 55's over from 6 volt to 12 volt refitted with the windup version since the 6 volt clock could not handle a 12 volt input. I believe the one you have is the wind up version. If it's not working don't feel too bad. The mainprings in most of them have long since given up!
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)