Slick broke down in Va.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Wow, I am out, you covered all of my ideas. Multiple distributors would eliminate the ground problem unless they all had a bad ground and that is unlikely. The duraspark box does not have an internal ground, it is grounded inside the distributor by the retaining screw for the pickup module. Follow the black wire out past the connector and in your main harness cut the wire and splice in a ground. I don't like to modify the pickup or the module wires as that makes replacement a problem in emergencies. I hate to say this but pull the valve covers and watch for rockers not moving. Wiped lobes will often run fine but sluggish. The module should not be making a difference but you can never tell. Hawkrod
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Banjo unloaded truck, started right up on the back and backed it off, let it warm up but still getting all choked :?: :?:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
unibodyboy

Post by unibodyboy »

Banjo,

I know it's along shot but what year is yoru truck? I ask becasue I had a very similar problem. On the earlier slicks, there is a difference in coils. One was internally resisted and the other wasn't. There wire coming from the Ignition switch that has an internal resistor stock. It took me a long time to figure it out. The only reason I suggest that, is that it would run, but only for a bit and it had the same types of symptoms you are having. You said something about a Y block in your posts, and that would lead me to beleive you may have an internally resisted wire in yoru stock harness. Something to think about.
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15.13
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Hawkrod wrote:I hate to say this but pull the valve covers and watch for rockers not moving. Wiped lobes will often run fine but sluggish.

:iagree: My 'ol 352 had two wiped exhaust lobes way back when & would idle just fine, even rev fine up to 1500 rpm or so, then fall on it's face.

Good luck with the problem Banjo, hopefully the rest of your move goes well. :thumright:
Merry Christmas to you & yours. :)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

When you get it to stumbling, pour a soda cap of fuel into the carb, if the RMPs elevate, check your fuel pump pressure and fuel pick up.
You said it runs fine at idle and up to 1000 rpms, if your peressure is low and is restricted, you could be picking up some rust/debris from the tank.
Fastest way to check fuel line is to remove line at pump, install a temp line and use a coffe can or fuel jug.
I hate Message Boards.
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

Banjo,
I hope it works out for you! It just happened at the wrong time with all that is going on.

On the sunny side of things you have more chance down there to work on it than up here with winter time and all.

Let us know how you make out and what you find. Thanks to Tom for helping out!!!

Everyone have a merry Christmas!

Wayne
truckerdaddy66

Post by truckerdaddy66 »

Try running ,a hot wire from ing. switch instead of fuse box, maybe something going on in the fuse box. Maybe rig up a tempory toggle switch for the ing. circut so you won't have to fool with the key switch. Just for testing.

Truckerdaddy 66
New Caney,Tx.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Still, if you go back to the original complaint, three boxes three different problems points to the boxes themselves. It's been ages since I played with one, but the only stumbling block was whether the red or white wire got 12vdc running or starting. Seems like I usually got it backward and the box would get hot. I remember reading that the box fires hotter on the start circuit vs the run. I also remember reading from way back when that common complaint was the box overheating on the mustang II's because guys wold put an open element air cleaner on the car and the airflow inside the engine compartment would change letting them get hot.

Jamie
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

Bad coil?
Maybe it heated up while idling for 20 min. and is breaking down internally?
Bill
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

Bad coil?
Maybe it heated up while idling for 20 min. and is breaking down internally?
Bill
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

Check the solenoid as I had one make a duraspark system act funny,I disconnected the I terminal and it ran fine. The I terminal at the solenoid must have shorted out,replaced it and everything was back to normal. Jeff
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

From what I understand of these systems, grounding of the box is critical. It must be grounded well. I cannot see how running backwards could be caused by fuel problems, but never say never. Cam lobe should not cause the problems as described either. Just making guesses here, but broken cam, or something along those lines? Loose cam gear? Wet wiring causing short? All boxes ruined by ppor ground? Shorting rotor? Since changing boxes changes running, check for bad wiring to and from box?

Rich
Phil

Post by Phil »

running backwards?
Only the dist controls firing order, if it fires out of sequence or in reverse I still suspect that gear.

Run a fine wire through the roll pin.
It may be randomly spinning and catching as it spins.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

Hey Banjo,
Did you get a chance to check it out yet? Don't want to wait till next year! whistle.gif
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:iagree: feedback.gif :popcorn:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Sorry to keep you guys waiting! I haven't done anything yet, my poor Slick is still in NC with Flashback Tom.

I really do not have a place yet to keep it. I am considering driving my Super Duty up there and tow it back myself, but my F-250 SD is in the shop. HPOP problems.

I WILL keep you posted, as to when she gets home, and as to the solution.

Guys, you are all great friends, and I am grateful for each of you that have replied.
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

Banjo,
I hope it all works out and I know Tom will take good care of it :shock: .

Tom,
I am looking for a 65 LB white slick with a 460. If you by chance come across one I would like any part not welded in. scared.gif

:oops: Sorry Banjo but those slick truck parts are hard to come by! :lol:
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Wayne you ought see the 65 sitting here from Calif,, a untouched virgin truck that has not been cut into,, its beige close enough to white :lol: I think anyway I cranked Banjo's truck a few times runs good around here as long as I don't go over 1000 Rpm's,,

On the 6.0 diesel's have you ever heard that if you are low on fuel on the gauge or gauge shows empty even though you have plenty of fuel that the computer starts shutting down the motor or even can wipe out the injectors :?: Thats what is a problem starting to develope on my truck, buy lucky enough they caught it at Ford before it got serious :?:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo