AOD?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Ford4jack

AOD?

Post by Ford4jack »

I'm looking into getting a AOD transmission from a 90 model truck with a 302 to install behind a 300 six.
Anyone know if the flex plate,converter,etc is the same between these engines.
BikerDude

AOD and more

Post by BikerDude »

I have an AOD that I took out of my 66 F-100 since I wanted to switch over to a 5 speed manual....matter of preference. Anyway it was fullly functional when I took it out spring 2007 and its been sitting in my garage since. I have the AOD 2000 RPm stall speed torque convertor, separator plate, dipstick and chrome tube, extra tailhousing and output shaft (never used), B&M quarterstick shifter and cable, Lokar Throttle valve cable (makes the AOD shift correctly with a carb). The trans has a Trans Go shift kit installed to improve the shifting for daily driving. I think that is it but I may be forgetting a couple small parts. All of these parts are used but fully functional. I will take $400 or a reasonable offer. I am in Fredericksburg VA. The trans was in my truck when I bought it and I put over 4,000 miles on it before changing over to a stick. I was told that it came out of a 84 Econoline van along with the 302 that is still in my truck.

Call me 540-322-9397 and leave a message and I'll get back to you. I can't have my cell with me all the time due to my job so it may take a fwe hours to get back to you. You can also emial me at jowen@mtcsc.com or owenje@comcast.net.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Wouldn't have the AOD from a 90 been some sort of "EOD" for "electronic" overdrive?

The bell should work. Both engines have small block ford bolt pattern. TC should be OK as well.

But the flex plate is going to be different (240/300 takes a unbalanced flex plate with no weights, the 302 take some sort of balanced flex plate as the engine is not internally balanced as the 240/300 is. (28 or 52 ounce or some such number, beats me as I am an I6 man as well).

You will need a different starter as well I think, but they are cheap. Its a major project to swap trannies, almost as much as swapping an engine, or more sometimes.

Have to consider steering versus floor shifter, drive shaft length and design. Also the original AOD MUST MUST MUST have the kick down properly adjusted from the throttle/carb. You get it wrong, you fry the tranny.

You need to put some serious miles on a vehicle to pay for the OD at todays gas prices. I am going with a C4 -- simpler and cheaper. The benefit of an OD for me would be the lower RPM at cruising speed. Doubtless less noise, but its just not worth it.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Krosati

Post by Krosati »

AOD-E wasn't introduced until 92 and was found behind the 4.6 V6.
Phil

Post by Phil »

cdherman wrote:You need to put some serious miles on a vehicle to pay for the OD at todays gas prices. I am going with a C4 -- simpler and cheaper. The benefit of an OD for me would be the lower RPM at cruising speed. Doubtless less noise, but its just not worth it.....

I respectfully disagree with you about it being worth it based soley on drivability and saving wear on driveline.

I have had 5 Torinos and my 70 wagon had an AOD.
It was the best driving Torino and one of the best driving cars I ever owned.
The PO put it in so I can't speak to the difficulty (yet, ill do one in my 68 )
but it makes a car that runs at 3000rpmrun near 1800rpm on the highway.
The engine seemss a lot less strained and it does save on gas.
My 4500lb wagon got 22mpg VS my 2.3 stang's 21mpg.
With a 3:00 gear and the AOD the PO ran it at 135mph from Toledo to Flatrock MI so the gearing worked fine.

It rivaled disk brakes as my favorite upgrade-including a big block swap, new suspension and bucket seats
Someday I'll get another slick :(
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Depends on what we each mean by "serious miles" no doubt. I drive about 750 miles a year on my pickup and many other folks with slicks also drive very few miles.

At those kind of miles, the engine and drivetrain will last forever (or at least until something fails that had nothing to do with miles). And the gas saved with an AOD will be negligable.

But I don't really want to disagree with the decision to go with an AOD -- I SERIOUSLY considered it too. All the pros that are mentioned above are true.

I guess the other part that troubled me is that 10 or 20 years down the road, my pickup will still be in the family, potentially in the possession of someone who is totally mechanically clueless. The fact that the C4's simpler and more forgiving kickdown would be easier to maintain/adjust weighed on my decision too.

It is interesting to know that the AOD-E didn't appear till 92. Ought to be a lot of decent AOD units floating around out there still, or at least decent enough after some refreshing.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Thanks for the input y'all
Not real sure which way to go at the moment. I really like the 4 speed it has in it but
the wife would be able to drive the truck if it had an automatic.

I already have a C4 trans from a 81 truck with all the trimmings and the slick
has an auto steering column in it.

Might be better off to just go thru the C4 they seem to be a decent transmission.

An AOD would be nice but by the time I bought the trans and rounded up the additional parts needed for it
I would probably be money ahead going with the C4 rebuild.

BikerDude

Thanks for the offer it sounds like a good deal. Perhaps someone else here will be interested in it.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Wish I was close enough to take it off his hands, to here shipping would likely be more than he wants for the tranny.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

At $3/gallon, the payback for the overdrive would be justified quickly. It depends on how you plan to use your truck. Like mentioned before, if you don't drive it much, it might never save you any money. It is one of the best modifications I have done to my 56 panel and my son's 63 Slick. They are both much more drivable now. Wish I could put one behind the 390 in my 66. The expense of the Lokar kickdown cable is only about $65.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!