Cleaning a gas tank

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Dakotakid

Cleaning a gas tank

Post by Dakotakid »

I assume someone has probably touched on this before but I can't find it.
I had a plugged pick up tube. The PO left gas in for years and I have now emptied the tank and luckly got the tube cleared.
Can anyone tell me the best way to finish cleaning out the gas tank before I put it back on the truck and fill with good gas.

Thank you.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Most guys put 20-30 med sized washers in it with about 2 gal of gass or solvant. Then have a buddy help you slosh it around. Drain it out and make sure you have all the washers out. You can go a step farther by using Gas Tank sealer kits from places like Eastwood or POR-15. Most of the time a good rinse with gas and some washers to scrub workes good enough.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Dakotakid

Hi there. I have a solution for cleaning a gas tank that has set for a long time with fuel in it.
First a bit of information. The thick goo that is in the tank is for the most part Biological which means most solvents don't do a very good job of dissolving it. What I use is the powdered dishwasher soap, the cheap stuff does as well as any of them.

The procedure is to get to a hot washer like a steam cleaner or regular hot water will do also. The steam cleaner speeds the operation but the results are the same. You need to dislodge as much of the gunk as you can and then dump the whole box of dish washing soap into the tank, then fill it to the top with as hot of water as you can, agitating as you fill. Then let it set over night and dump it all out, again agitating as you go. Then rinse well and check to see if all the goo is gone, if not repeat the procedure again.

I've never had to do it more than twice but you never know. When you are satisfied with the results dry the tank very well and treat it with your favorite treatment, of course repairing any leaks first.

This has worked for me with several tanks, it can get messy but the end results are good. The tank in my 62 was really bad and the pickup tube took about an hour to unplug. I finally shoved a wire down it to clear it enough to let the solution work. After it sat overnight I was able to blow all of the gunk out and haven't had a bit of trouble with the tank for over a year now.

Sorry for being so long winded, hope this helps.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
don luster

Post by don luster »

If you want to have someone else do the job? When I was in the shop back in the dark ages we took them to a radiator shop and they boil them out withthe same stuff that radiators were cleaned with. I had mine done last year and it was 20 dollars for the job. The other stuff will also work like in the previous post. Don Luster
Phil

Post by Phil »

My buddy Chris did his Cobra tank about 6 years ago and did a few of his other Torinos shortly after with the Eastwood system. Chris owns the yellow cobra I posted in my track day pictures. Its pretty much "correct" and to say he is a perfectionist would be an understatement.

After a few years he started doing them as a service for about $175
He quit last year when his Cobra tank started peeling inside.
He looked at his other 2 cars and the same thing happened.

The few guys who he did them for are reporting the same thing.

FWIW
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

We use hot water and Drano to clean tanks. Let it sit overnight with all the opening plugged and then poor it into bucket and then into your toilet! It does an amazing job on everything except rust. LOL Hawkrod
Dakotakid

Post by Dakotakid »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have it soaking in Dish Soap overnight since that was the easiest. I did speak to a radiator shop and they wanted it steam cleaned before I brought it in since they didn't have a steamer.
I will let you know how it works out tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Hawkrod

I never thought of Drano, good call. I didn't mention either that muratic acid does a good job on rust it gets in the seams real good. Must be real careful of the fumes and use it outside if possible. I also treat the inside of the tank with metal prep. The stuff that is blue in color and it is used to treat bare metal before prime and paint. It will seal the metal surface and then one doesn't need to use a coating that fails over time
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
Dakotakid

Post by Dakotakid »

Well, the dishsoap trick worked. Thank you Oldtrucks.

The rest of the suggestions also sound good.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. Saved me some good money for a new tank. Now I can spend it somewhere else on the truck.

Happy New Year!