Help needed with dual master cylinder set up

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cosmo

Help needed with dual master cylinder set up

Post by cosmo »

Well, I read all that I could on this forum about switching to a dual bowl Master Cylinder.
Problem is that once I stared to bend the brake lines I noticed that the M/C requires special fittings.
I read Skip Portefield's directions on this site. He used 3/16 inch lines, his pics shows an adapter on the front bowl....just like the one that came with mine.
So, what is the secret here? I'm using an SSC combination proportioning valve/distribution block that can only recive 3/16 inch lines.
The M/C was purchaced from a reputable source for slicks.
Do I just need non-standard fitting? Is this a common problem?
(I will try to post a pic my personal album)
Thanks for the help!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

cosmo
the adaptor fittings are standard sizes, ask at your auto parts store.you can see mine in the pic
[albumimg]561[/albumimg]
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Cosmo, I dont think you have a problem you just need to get the larger flare nut to fit the rear port simarly with the proportioning valve it has one port with a larger size thread, this I think is to stop clunk heads like us hooking it up the wrong way around your local brake & clutch shop should be able to fix you up with new flare nuts, is this like yours!
[img][albumimg]3655[/albumimg]

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

The good parts stores NAPA etc should have the fittings.
Did you put on disc brakes also....or have I mistakenly thought that you have a disc brake master cylinder?

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

The nuts are made different sizes than normal so some monkey on the assembly line does not get them backwards. What I do is take a tour thru the local junkyard with a line wrench and a cutter. I remove the factory flare nuts and then cut the lines to release them. Then I use the factory flare nuts when I make the lines. This way only works if you are double-flaring your own lines anyway.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

It seems easier to get an adapter line than the correct adapter fittings. If you look through my pics you will find some shots of a Mustang MC & brake light install.

[albumimg]2205[/albumimg]

You might consider this too if you plan to drive it alot.

http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2647
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Fanatic wrote:The good parts stores NAPA etc should have the fittings.
Did you put on disc brakes also....or have I mistakenly thought that you have a disc brake master cylinder?

Tim

Tim, If you ment me, yes I have disc brakes.

alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Go to Speedway website and you will find just about anybrakeline adapter you could possibly need. They have pictures and descriptions as to size and it only takes a couple days of ordering and you have the adapter in hand. Using adapters beats making bad double flares.
Fred
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Truckfarmer wrote:The nuts are made different sizes than normal so some monkey on the assembly line does not get them backwards. What I do is take a tour thru the local junkyard with a line wrench and a cutter. I remove the factory flare nuts and then cut the lines to release them. Then I use the factory flare nuts when I make the lines. This way only works if you are double-flaring your own lines anyway.

+1
Exactly what I did. The fitting are pretty common on all the Ford trucks and vans.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning