gen light stays on when ignition turned off

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

gen light stays on when ignition turned off

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Mrs Iceman began having this issue with my truck, i could not see how.last night did it to me.

so i opened the hood and i smacked the top of the voltage reg and the light went out. it was kind of warm.
this morning when she got to work she had to disconnect the battery cable as it would not turn off.

life span of voltage reg was 7 years. hope the parts store has one she can get on the way home.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

is the points stuck together on the cutout relay? Maybe you can file them and get a few more years .
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

My volt reg for the 223's genny got all hot one time, dont recall if the light was on or not, I think it may have been. new one was cheap if I recall. See if you can get an electronic one to replace. I got a nice STANDARD brand electronic unit for the Alternator setup with the 390. I have no idea if there are electronic units that would work with the genny.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i ordered one today.will get it Friday.
not electronic as they do not have those for generator.

has been hit and miss with the light staying on.Mrs Ice took off the batt cable while at work, on the way home she stopped a few times, the light did not stay on and got home it still was turning off.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton