Crown Vic frt suspension. Oops!!!

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

GDG

Crown Vic frt suspension. Oops!!!

Post by GDG »

Got the CV frt susp for my 64, Does anyone have any pic of the control arm rear bushing mount attachment? I am wondering about considerations for caster, should the CV X-member be mounted level to the ground for correct caster angles? Also how much lower can I expect it to set if I fasten it to the bottom of the frame rails? I would like about a 6" drop, I am going to flip the rear axle but would like a nose down stance. I'm wondering if I need to notch the frame for the frt susp???
Is anyone driving a Slick with the CV frt end? I have seen some under construction, how about some pics?
Oops, posted on wrong forum!!! How can I move it to Truck Talk? Please respond.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
GDG

Post by GDG »

Thanks for the info on frame swap but I'm using the later model CV frt X-member only. Does anyone have more info?
Thanks Doug
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

From what I gather from talking to a couple guys doing the later model crossmember, it's basically a bolt on deal. I haven't seen a finished one yet, but if it's like my projects, life gets in the way, sometimes...lol!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
northern

Post by northern »

Mike,

would it look somthing like this?

[albumimg]1681[/albumimg]
GDG

Post by GDG »

Yeah, that's where I'm headed! Any detail shots of the rear bushing mounting or ride height with engine and frt fenders on? As near as I have been able figure by measuring the stock and the CV pieces it looks like bout a 6" drop from stock.
Thanks Doug
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I guess 61ford is the one to get with!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Tom's Upholstery

CV suspension in my 64

Post by Tom's Upholstery »

I am in the process of choosing a IFS for my 64. I would appreciate more info on the CV IFS. What year is the best to use. How much work is involved as such. Once I find what year is best Im buying a complete car for project. Thanks Tom
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Ford started building the Crown Vics with the aluminum crossmember about midway through 2003.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I have dropped beams for my 66 F100 but thinking about going with another IFS setup. MII, Dakota, Volare, Crown Vic... Too many to choose from. Which 3 are the top of the list for a IFS conversion? I want to lower my slick 6 inches to BARELY tuck to front tire under the fender and lower the rear 5 to 6 inches as well. Dropped beams and one coil cut from the spring will not get me that low.
Crown Vic being bolt on seems the way to go... How about putting my 351W and C4 combo onto it? Aluminum is light and must be strong enough since it help up that heavy car correct?
Do they make dropped beams for them or can you put airbags onto them?
Tom's Upholstery

Post by Tom's Upholstery »

I like the idea of the aluminum front IFS. Just asking can the earlier front IFS work also. How far back will work , back to what year ? See alot of the earlier CV's selling pretty cheap.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Shawn F. wrote:I have dropped beams for my 66 F100 but thinking about going with another IFS setup. MII, Dakota, Volare, Crown Vic... Too many to choose from. Which 3 are the top of the list for a IFS conversion? I want to lower my slick 6 inches to BARELY tuck to front tire under the fender and lower the rear 5 to 6 inches as well. Dropped beams and one coil cut from the spring will not get me that low.
Crown Vic being bolt on seems the way to go... How about putting my 351W and C4 combo onto it? Aluminum is light and must be strong enough since it help up that heavy car correct?
Do they make dropped beams for them or can you put airbags onto them?

Shawn I would think you could airbag them, they seem to be able to do that for all kinds of obscure vehicles. Have you seen how low a CV gets you? They are purdy dang low. As for your other choices, I will make it easier for you. Mustang 2 is too light for our trucks. Volare is mushy and my own personal experience with one would say "stay away".
Dakota require a pile of running around scrap yards, I have never personally SEEN a Dakota in a junkyard, and you have to look for specific years that have the right bolt patterns. A good choice, but requires a vehicle in a junkyard I would have a hard time finding.IMO. There is also the Chev Nova or something, and the AMC pacer. I would personally avoid those, but that is alsoj ust my opinion, based on bolt patterns and parts availability..
As to Tom and his question, I dunno what the old ones look like, but I think they are all welded in/ iron. The reason the newer Crown Vic is desirable is that it is bolted on, and in pretty much one piece when you remove it.
Hope that helps.
JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Any links online of someone USING and installing the newer crown vic front end and not the whole chassis? Not sure where I can find one over here because I'd rather NOT bring home a whole car just for the front end. I know some chassis company sells videos on how to install the Volare front end, I wonder if they have it for a Crown Vic...??? Heidts I think it is that has the videos.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

try this thread
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#36973

pics
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album.php?us ... &mode=list
to look at anyone's pics in thier gallery just go to "Profile" and click it to see their gallery
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| here
|
|
|
|
V
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Thanks a lot for the links. I am going to look into this and see what I can find and do. I doubt I'll find a crown vic front end (04) where I can just take the front clip and not the whole car. Also I just did a power steering upgrade to my truck with a new P/S box, pump, column, etc. I'd hate to have to get a new column AGAIN for the third time. I am guessing this CV front end is much lighter than the stock 66 F100 front end?
How much is involved in a power steering pump and hooking a column up to it? Can I keep my current dual master cylinder and add a booster for power brakes or will I need a special proportioning valve and m/c for this front brakes?
I am just looking for a way to drop my 66 about 6 to 7 inches and have a nice ride. I will first plan it all out and see if it's worth doing and if so then I will jump on it and do it (if I can find a front end for cheap).
How much should I expect to pay for an 04' CV front clip?
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Well I found out some news on the CV front end that some of you may want to look into... A friend that has worked on Fords for a long time at a dealership said that there are some 2000 and up CV's with aluminum crossmember but not all of them. He said there were some that DID have them though. Anyone know if this is true? I am trying to get an 05 or up if possible for less wear even though if I do this I will change all the brakes and bushings anyways. That way it's all new and will handle even better.
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

Shawn F. wrote:Well I found out some news on the CV front end that some of you may want to look into... A friend that has worked on Fords for a long time at a dealership said that there are some 2000 and up CV's with aluminum crossmember but not all of them. He said there were some that DID have them though. Anyone know if this is true? I am trying to get an 05 or up if possible for less wear even though if I do this I will change all the brakes and bushings anyways. That way it's all new and will handle even better.

All Panther Platform cars starting MY 2003 have the Aluminium crossmember with rack and pinion steering. 2002 and older do not have a bolt-on front suspension.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

He is probably wrong then. He just told me that there were some out there 2000 and up that had aluminum crossmembers... No clue where he saw them at but he said at the dealer they worked on them. I looked around and found nothing, must be BS. Either way, if I do this swap I will try to find an 06 or something with less wear on it and even then put all new bushings and brakes on it. Gotta do it right the first time. :D
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

I'm a member at crownvic.net since I bought my '98 CV for a work beater. Lots of knowledge on that site, along with knowing what suspensions go with what years. If I had the money and a way of getting it home, there were a couple '03+ Crown Vics that city of Lubbock wanted to get rid of with bad motors. Have some parts for my '98 and parts for the '61.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
Chefsonfire

fron end swap

Post by Chefsonfire »

Hi..new here,but, I just finished putting a "Diplomat"..front end under my 61...not very difficult. Got a template from Bobs F100( paper)...cut (notch) the frame and get out the welder( DIPLOMATS ETC. ARE STEEL)Picked up the diplomat for $200.00 at the local bone tard...complete with discs/calipers and pwer steering unit...my bud just finished his 66 the same way...drops it nicely and gives a nice ride