Which way do we go ?

This Forum contains all the threads for Slick-Stock 2008. For viewing only.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Which way do we go ?

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I thought who better to ask which way do we go? than the worlds best car trippers, so here's my question!
After SS08 Lyn and I are going to head for Phoenix AZ, we`ve got 2 weeks to get there and would like to see your life styles not your highways,
we realize that we may need to travel on them at some stage but would like to avoid them!, we thought a leisurely 4hr drive every 2nd day should get us there with a bit of sight seeing in that area the next day, and still have time to spare at the end, having cut through OK,TX,NM and AZ, So if someone could give us a basic route to take and some things to look out for, that would be great!and very much appreciated!!.
Lyn & Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I know this is most likely out of your travel path but if you can go see the Hoover Dam. Take the long tour through the inside of the Dam. I did that last March. The best paid for tour I've ever taken.

Also drive on part of the old Route 66 highway.

The Murra office building bombing museum is great in Oklahoma City Ok.

I'll let the westerners tell the rest of the story of what to see out there.
Tom Williams
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

You could check out Grand Canyon. The largest erosion problem in the USA. LOL. Seriously, it's really something to see. Also, if you go thru Williams Arizona on the way, you get to drive on Route 66. If you do go, stop at the 50's style malt shop, there is a 55 ford sitting outside. Also, do the canyon river ride at the Imax theater, I sat in the first row and didn't get wet at all. LOL
Truckrat
United States of America

tour

Post by Truckrat »

Alan, there is a lot of route 66 still open in Oklahoma.
The Round Barn in Arcadia, The whale park in Catoosa, The route 66 museum in Clinton, and an Okie from Oklahoma City who can show you some cool sights here. Oh, that would be me! TR :welcome:
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

Hey TR, are you still on the patch?????? :lol: see you in a few days.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Alan Here's what one of the Torino guys just did out west with some cool pics to go with. :D

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6408
Tom Williams
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

If you want to see what the real American people are like, I would suggest going straight to Las Vegas and spend some time there. :lol:
And if you want to see the other Americans, I suggest going south of the USA/Mexico border. evil_lol.gif
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:D Thanks guys I think I`ll bring my TomTom 8)

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

How long to Phoenix?

Me, if I had time, from KC I'd head north to US-36 (forgotten brother to 66) about 35 miles north of KC on I-29 and head west to Colorado via 36. You'll get a helluva feel for the size of the USA (600 miles of farms and small towns, prairie and even a couple buffalo).

Once in Colorado, you can take in the mountains and then head south. Lots a country in there. Nothing personal about Route 66 and Okie country, but just like the rest of Kansas, there not a lot of topography to see....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!