Ever get discouraged?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ripsnorter

Ever get discouraged?

Post by ripsnorter »

Last night I popped the '62 up on the hoist with full intention of getting a heck of a lot done on it.

First order of business was to fix the nasty exhaust leak thats filling the cab up to the point of making myself and oinklette sick if we dont have the windows open.

After examining it however, I realized that I dont have the right fittings, I dont have any scrap mild steel thats less than about 1/4" thick to roll and make something to cover the leak, and the parts I robbed off another truck wont fit either.

Next I decided to tear into the right front brake, see what was wrong with it and why it was sticking so bad. Found out the pads are pretty much completely shot. I dont want to spend money on pads when i intend to get rid of those drums and put disc on, probably with a whole frame swap to 4x4. So do I drive it with a bad brake on the right side, or just buy new pads and go through and replace all the brakes etc til I can get around to the frame etc swap?

The rust hole I wanted to fill down in the corner near the clutch pedal turned out to be in a bad spot, and would need considerably more work than I had time to do. So, since I couldnt just leave the thing up on the rack/torn apart for several days, I could'nt really work on that either.

After only 45 minutes of work that yielded no results, I dropped the truck back off the hoist, cleaned up my mess and left the shop thoroughly discouraged. So much stuff I wanted to get done yet somehow not a darn thing got worked on.

Ever just get really discouraged about working on your truck?
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Happens. Now that you know what you need, gather up your parts and materials. Focus on one thing and see it through. If you see somthing else that needs attention, ignore it until you finish what you are doing. If you lay up under one of these old vehicles long enouh, it'll run you crazy.
Jim
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Yep been there :) One thing at a time It will drive you crazy if you try to do everything at once.Fix one thing at at time .Half the battle is not letting it overwhelm you :lol:
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Don't feel bad, bout the only thing I got done on my 64 since I got it in March (or there abouts) is to start removing paint. After getting about 1/4 of the cab stripped Gigi (soon-to-be ex wife) asked me to leave the house so I just had to rattle can some primer right back over what I had just stripped! Just finished getting the garage rearranged so I could work on it again here. When I picked up my paycheck stub (have auto deposit) today I recieved a layoff notice with it! Unemployment will pay me enough to cover my bills with no $ left over for the truck. I may storage the Mustang GT just so I can drop the insurance on it to comprehensive only and save a little $. Merry Xmas Greg, lol.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

GREG: Dang talk about a long dark ride. Sorry about the job! Hope the next one is even better with more "play" money for the slick. Prayers are with ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ross
ABA

Post by ABA »

Man Greg that sucks big time.
When one door closes another will open, good luck man. :)

There was many a time I got discouraged and wondered what the hell have I gotten myself into?
Even my wife said : Wouldn't it have been easier to just put the motor in the other truck? :shock:

My main goal was to get the '65 driveable for less than the cost of rebuilding the 460 in the other truck.
Glad to say I met that goal. :wink:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

dang greg, that sucks. I feel for ya, makes my little discouragement seem like small potatoes now.

Hope things get better for ya.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Greg that sucks...but I know you will find something soon. :D

I am in a 5 year slump of discouragement. I wrecked my 63 in 1999 and it is almost 2007! AHHHHHHHH

I hope to make some progress soon. I am having a tear-it-up day over the x-mass shutdown (last week in Dec). My buddies are coming over to help strip everything out of and off of the cab.

maybe some day I will get it done! :roll: :roll:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Darn Greg seems like some guys just can't buy a break :!:
ripsnorters right makes small day to day iritations we all experince quite trivial but seems like everthing happens for a reason and there are always better things to come just around the corner. Keep the Faith :!:

And ripsnorter to awner your post Everybody who works on old vehicles has days like that. Lot of days where I have just laid down tools and walked away and ask myself what the heck am I doing :dontknow: :cry: . and other days everthing just seems to fall in place : 8) :wink:
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I do really appreaciate the thoughts and prayers guys. I have been looking for another gig anyway, I'm just hoping on one side that I don't get called back too soon. Right now I have 40 hours a week to look for another job WITH pay (good ol unemployment). I will be hard at it right after I stop in at the unemployment office Monday. I am still planning to get my stepbox disassembled the rest of the way this weekend so it can go out to be dipped as soon as I can afford it. The cab is going to wait til I have enough $ to buy some Rust Encapsulator though, that way I can repaint section by section as I grind it down. I am definately not real sure about continuing to work for a place that does a layoff 3 weeks before Xmas, some of the other guys that got bumped have families. Talked to a friend of mine ealier that just brought home $1800.00 for 2 weeks painting houses, I have spent some time doing that for a living a few years ago, he's gonna talk to his boss for me. Thanks Again Guys
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

discouraged?
for sure.
happens all the time.
too many things to keep up with and work on at the same time.
everything is a can of worms it seems
question to ask before starting any slick work
little can or big can?
i have spent most of the week collecting all my tools and supplies into the heated cabin im turning into a shop.building shelves, trying to sort thru some of the junk i have collected.would like to get it all organized this winter but i look and say "dude where did you get so much $#!+??"
a discouraging mess indeed but i found some parts i had forgotten about
and im almost done lugging heavy boxes.the thing that keeps me going is that as soon as im done i will have a good heated space to work in, big enough for a cab or bed to work on.

Greg, hang in there ,i have been out of work all year, no unemployment just some side money.have not gone anywhere and have gotten a lot done around the house and yard.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

My '66 has been in pieces since about 1993. Initially, I took a few things apart to "freshen them up", along with rebuilding the engine. Well, life sorta got in the way & the kids needed to eat. One thing I did learn though, was to not take apart any more cars I inteded to fix up...it's too hard to move & keep track of all the pieces. :roll:

With my kids getting older, I'm getting the bug again...especially since my younger son snagged a beater '65 for his first vehicle last year (pictured). It had been a long time since I was behind the wheel of a slick...it felt great!

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

heh. reminds me of my father. He tore apart his little D4 cat back in about 87 or so to replace the clutch. I discovered the other day a few pieces to it underneath a cabinet in one shop, found part of the clutch underneath a car a few years ago, realized we're using the grill to cover our burn barrel so cinders dont come flying out, heard theres a piece down at our neighbors....

I have no idea how he's ever going to find all the pieces to that thing. I guarentee theres going to be a lot of cussing though if he ever gets around to actually sitting down and trying to fix it.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Been sitting down on the discouragement farm too long myself. All i need to do is wire the damn thing and get it running, then put the pieces back together.

Blabbed at garbz today, a bit I am gonna go get one of them little propane bottle radiant heaters and get at 'er. Sad to hear about another whack in the head for ya Greg,, sheesh you have a real roller coaster going on there
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

Been there done that. I planed to start my rebuild at least 6 years ago. I joined the old site and it was a small group then. I got busy with work and family and put it on hold for a while. I then joined it again and that time it was on msn. I checked it often and that was one of the main reasons mines done now. I used it to keep encouraged and I also got a lot of encouragement from a lot here. So keep up the good wor,fuss about the troubles here and get encouragement here. Mine was a basket case but do to sentimental reasons I wanted to rebuild it. I am not a mechanic but with the help of a lot of good folk and their advice here I got it done.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Ripsnorter, take a breath set down, and relax, drink a beer if you have a mind to. Find something nice to think about. Alls is not lost. You did accomplish something. You found out what your brake problems consisted of, and you now knwo your floor has a more seirous problem. The biggest problem I've had to face when confronted with these kind of problems, is my decisions. On every turn, you will be confronted with decisions, on your truck. LYou've made a decision to transfer your body to a later 4x4 frame apparently. First decision when do you start this project? I would guess, you are not ready at this time. You need a solid time frame, because the rest of your decisions depend on what and when you intend to do the major change. One year from now, one month, or just when the right time comes along. Finances often control what we do, and add to our discouragement. So you need a realistic approach to a time table, and you need to set a date for the change. When you've done that, then you can get on with your now decisions. Driving with bad brakes is a bad decision, but these trucks often tend to pull to one side anyway without bad brakes. Hole in the floor, no problem for now. piece of tin, some screws and a little sealer and your good for the winter. Things don't have to be perfect the first time. Duct tape is the handymans freind, if nothing else. Won't last but might get you thru the winter, and keep out snow and ice. Brakes don't have to be new, used stuff works in a pinch. Any yards near you? I've even found nearly new stuff that way. I can only wish you lived close, and I could drop in and help. I live in southeastern Illinois, near Evansville, Indiana.

Rich
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Greg, you have my wishes of a better Christmas, and a happier New Year. Good luck my freind.

Rich
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

heh thanks rich, appreciate the peptalk.

I actually am just going to have to go ahead and bite the bullet and put new brakes in it. I bought the truck as a driver because I need some form of truck to get supplies to build my shop. Can't do any frame swapping til i get my shop built either, so realistically i can't drive with bad brakes for 6 months simply because I plan on a frame swap later on.

Decisions are the hard part too though you're right. I'm stuck using my fathers shop/hoist next door til I get my own built, which means I can't have his shop/hoist tied up for more than an evening at a time. No tearing down the engine etc :twisted: So deciding what is a priority to work on and jumping in and doing it in an evening is the biggest thing.

One thing I found that actually helps in sitting down and seriously concentrating, is music. I bought an MP3 player the other day, and sticking that in my pocket with the little earbuds on helps to surround me in my own little world. Takes away most of the restlessness you get when you can't decide what needs fixin' first

By the way, for those that are interested, I finally brought home the second truck last night of the 2 that were given to me. Soon as my camera gets here I'll post pics of 'em. "Sirius" (my blue '62) is by far the nicest of the 3 though and the main one I'll be working on.