What did I get myself into

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

CaliRob

What did I get myself into

Post by CaliRob »

well I put my slick in the shop today..Man I wasent expecting to hear what the shop owner had to say.
He first told me he has to rebuild the whole front end, Next he has to completly redo the motor mounts,the crossmember and redo the whole driveshaft due to whomever put this motor in did it all halfassed.
The motor is in crooked due to someone cut up the mounting braces to make it fit, the driveshaft and carrier bearring dont even fit right it is kinda wedged in and made to fit causing all kinds of problems and he has to fab up a extension to mount the bearing at the proper height. so here it is.
Im probably lookin at about 2500 to 3000 to get it fixed up to par to drive not including what I have to do myself.

So what should I do......
sell it and start fresh with a truck in better shape?
or do I just grin and bear it and let him do the work?
I have the money to do it I just wasent expecting to fork out that much.
CaliRob

Post by CaliRob »

I forgot to mention I have to get it fixed soon cause this is gonna be my daily driver once i move back to TX in a few months. I will bhe towing it there.

Rob
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

I'd either look for a different mechanic, or sell the truck and start over. if its costing you 2500 to 3 grand just to fix whats been screwed up, but you can buy another for a grand or so, I'd just start over without having to buy someone elses problems. Your mechanic sounds a little high priced to me though.

Probably not the answer most would give though.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Been there done this one, so...... 1st how much do you already have invested in the truck? 2nd with all the work it needs can you sell it for enough to replace it with one that needs less done to it? 3rd by the time you find one that doesn't need the work you would likely spend the same amount and have to wonder what will be it's surprise for you unless you really know what you are getting. It could be cheaper to just have it fixed and KNOW what you have. I obviously can't answer or advise you but just toss out some things to consider in your decision. Hope it helps some, Greg
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Rob are you too far down the line to pull the truck out of the shop?
Sell it and pick up Max's spare truck. You won't have to haul it across the country either.

Plus you have the Texas boyz to eat chili and fart while they watch you work on it Image

If you do get the guy to do the work, stop p!ssing about with that goofy middle bearing driveshaft stuff and throw it on the scrap heap. Use a one piece driveshaft off the tail of the tranny.Why Ford did that in the first place is a mystery.. :roll:
Also, is your dude competent to do a Crown Vic or Aerostar (simplest front end swaps) for you? if you are gonna shell that kinda dough, you might as well toss that straight axle at the Texas straight axle and Ox cart club, and get something decent. :lol: :
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on December 5, 2006, 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Plus you have the Texas boyz to eat chili and fart while they watch you work on it Image

Man what a great state to be from. :lol:
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Is the truck worth $3000 to YOU? That would determine what to do.

Might be better to buy a beater to get you moved, and when you get moved, start repairing the truck. I've got a couple of complete straight axle setups here, could donate one. As far as the engine being mislocated, that shouldn't be a major thing to fix, just need the right parts. Keep the beater around til your slick is ready again.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I'd be more than happy to show you the '63 I have in storage. Plan is to send 'er back to the original owner but haven't talked to that fella in awhile. She's clean, barely a lick of rust and has the original 300/6 motor and tranny.

You could eat your chili off of it!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

After reading this thread, I'd say you need to ask yourself how attached you are to the truck.
Also, if the truck's nice-n-rust free, it might be more worth it to you to be throwing that kind of money at it, than to try & find a rust free truck that doesn't need as much corrective surgery...and end up only finding rusty ones.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
CaliRob

Post by CaliRob »

well I already had the mechanic start on fixin what he can for 2000.
The slick is pretty rust free and I really dont want to get rid of it. The motor aint that old and ive already got a few bucks into it..kinda hard to get rid of it knowing me if I sell it ill prolly piss away any money id get outta it. :oops: I guess I shoulda looked at it better when I first bought it.

I just wanted some opinions from you guys to make a decision..
Ill see what all is left after he does his thing.. The main problem is the slick will have to be my daily driver once i move. Ill sell my toyota before I go to make up some of the money ill be shelling out.
Thanks guys
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Rob,
When you land in the Lone Star get with the Texas Boyz, I'm sure and they'll keep you straight, out of trouble and help you avoid getting into what you're involved in now. :roll: :roll: :lol:

I hope you are getting what he's supposed to be doing in writing, that's a lot money for not much work IMHO :shock:

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant