F 100 XL at Slick..................

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jakdad

F 100 XL at Slick..................

Post by jakdad »

Did anyone look up under this truck at the rear suspension. I'm wondering what they used for traction bars. Anybody know, post up.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Thank you Mr. Crackel! Don't know that I care for the Traction bar arrangement. I have a set of 1" Chrysler torsion bars tha I think I'll build a set out of. Thanks again, just what I was looking for.
Jim
Jim
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I kind of like them. I think I might do the same only mount them to plates that mate up to the u-bolts on the springs.

nice...
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

nowadays most (all) traction bars go forward of the rear. i wonder if they know something we don't?
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Actually we know something they obviously didn't! As a spring compresses it lengthens and so the axle housing literally moves to the rear of the vehicle. as the front of the spring is fixed and the rear is mounted to allow for motion. Because of this the bars they used would change the pinion angle as it was loaded and unloaded and that is a very bad thing. Those bars were to prevent windup but they contribute to wheel hop significantly. These are basically reversed Traction Masters and are the exact same thing except adjustable. Traction Masters are specific to the chassis and you can't use one from another vehicle because the length is critical to prevent binding and damage. The bar MUST pivot exactly like the spring or it will cause axle housing rotation. Hawkrod
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Yeah, Hawkrod is SOoo Right and that's completely true.

AND when they are right, they act like a parallel link and are the very best I can get for planting my tires with weight & inertia of a truck against 460s' torque output . . . . No Wheel Hop and the power can be dialed onto the ground. :roll:

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

OK, I am confused now...

should they be forward mounted or aft mounted like the F-100XL?

Thanks.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
F-100XL

Post by F-100XL »

Hey guy`s,
You have to remember that the XL was built in 63. There was no traction bars or traction aids of any sort. We were all, super stock and modified cars, trying any thing to tie the rears to the ground! I could see the rear trying to rotate when the clutch was let out. I never thought about going to the front of the axle, I went to the rear, so that it would be a straight pull forward, when the axle tried to rotate. The F-800 tie rod worked perfect like it is set up and is adjustable, one side or the other, so the truck would launch straight after a couple of time runs. After I made this set up,several other super stock cars had this same set up ,including Phil Bonner and Nickelson for a short while. With this set up, it also pulled the rear end of the vehicle down, which helped with the weight transfer to the rear,as did raising the front end a little.at the same time. You just have to remember that this was "1963" and it worked good enough to set "5" national records in 63,64,and 65.
Thanks Fellows, Bill.
XL
Polcat

Post by Polcat »

Here is the web site of the truck. They are in the process of restoring it.

http://www.f-100xl.com/
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i have some of those big truck tie rods, think i will try and fab up a set
wish i could get my hands on the "14 gallons of 270 Sunoco super premium fuel"
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Polcat

Post by Polcat »

Yeah that fuel alwyas works. Hey I put some pictures up in my personal gallery. Their are pictures of the traction bars that I built for my truck in their. They seem to work real well, they kinda look like a ladder bar but are only bolted on the axle and on the frame underneath the cab. I also used a tie rod end but in e different way.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

F-100XL wrote:Hey guy`s,
You have to remember that the XL was built in 63. Thanks Fellows, Bill.

Not sure if you guys all realize that Bill is the original and only owner of the F-100XL (besides Ford Motor company) and was also the original designer of those traction bars, for Dearborn Steel Tubing. (who built the truck)

Pointing him to a website seems a little futile, since he has the truck in his garage :wink: :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
F-100XL wrote:Hey guy`s,
You have to remember that the XL was built in 63. Thanks Fellows, Bill.

Not sure if you guys all realize that Bill is the original and only owner of the F-100XL (besides Ford Motor company) and was also the original designer of those traction bars, for Detriot Iron. (who built the truck)

That's just too cool.

ICEMAN6166 wrote:wish i could get my hands on the "14 gallons of 270 Sunoco super premium fuel"

Don't you guys have pumps like this where you're at? :D

Ok, ok...neither do I. :(
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Polcat

Post by Polcat »

I did not know bill was the owner but that is real cool. I realy liked the idea of the tie rods to the rear, but unfortunately I built my set up prior to seeing the ford XL100. but mine are adjustable also. Realy good idea. Hopefully oneday mine will have a 427FE in it also. another year or so!!!
12.66@101 in the 1/4 mile!!
On bad FE!! Still working on it!!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Polcat, they look great, and I am sure yours work better than the XL's did, there is 44 years of refinement in them.
I think what Bill's saying is, they were a new invention in 1963..
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

There are pics of my Long Arm traction bars on our 2000 Lightning. The ones I build for our slick will be similar to these. They really plant the rear end and are great in day to day driving. See them here in our album.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album.php?user_id=77
Jim
six-two

Post by six-two »

F-100XL, to me your truck is pure inspiration. I'd love for my unibody to be half that fast.(well, maybe 3/4's) And hey, nothing wrong with any part that you innovated and are one of the first people to use. I wish I could invent some new type of traction aid, even if I couldn't get it perfect on the first try. Anyway's who cares as long as you are having fun, having a slick just makes it a bonus.

_________________________________________six-two
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Yep when it comes to slicks the F100 XL is the slickest of the slickest no if's ands or but's.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/