Bouncing an idea!

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

F-100XL

Bouncing an idea!

Post by F-100XL »

Hey guys,
I bought Garbz`s 66 long slick when he went "west". I am going to start making it into a semi daily driver and also to pull a 22 foot hay trailer. I am pulling the 240 (tired 6) and cruso , and replacing it with a 300 6 cyl. and C-6 out of an 85 F-150. No problem! I would like to remove the fuel tank from inside and put it in the bed, right behind its original position. I saw where someone had done this real resentlly, and liked the position. He brought the filler neck out on the right side, through a flat panel, welded to the back of the cab. I would like to do the same thing, only , exit the filler neck up on the left side, behind the driver.
I was thinking about welding a piece of 1" square tubing betwine the bed rails at a point to make the bed opening the same as a short bed. Then seal off the area between the tank and the bed with sheet metal like the back of the cab. When I do this, I am thinking about keeping the tank all of the way to the left and moving the battery in an area next to the tank all the way to the right. When I do this, I will have to seal the compartment off between the tank and the battery. Also , to keep battery fumes away from the rest of the surrounding area, I should put louvers in the bed side of this compartment and also the floor for ventilation.
If I do it this way, I can put a bed cover over the rest of the bed to fit a 6 Ft short bed. How does this sound, or am I all wet? Don`t everybody holler at once. Thanks!
Bill.
XL
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Matt of MattsIASlickShop, moderator here, did just about exactly what you've said , Bill, with the tank cover and location.
Also Kid (Darrell) has a similar setup, maybe one of those 2 can post a pic of theirs. Both those guys were at Slickstock 2.
I don't think you need to vent the battery chamber, just keep it seperate from the tank.. look how many race cars have the battery in the (non-vented) trunk.
If you were real worried about fumes, use an Optima Battery , they are dry cells.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I would vent it, the fumes are VERY corrosive. Use a marine battery box, and vent it thru the floor.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote: If you were real worried about fumes, use an Optima Battery , they are dry cells.

I agree, with a dry cell battery, you wouldn't need to vent. I'd definitely vent a standard one, though.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Bill. I have put my 65 into storage for the winter and cant get a pic of it to show you the cover Matt made for me but I bet he has a pic of the one he put on his truck. I will send him a I/M and see if he can drop by and post a pic........Darrell