Re-intro and pic request...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Supercab65

Re-intro and pic request...

Post by Supercab65 »

Somebody was just asking me about all the projects I had. It got me to thinking about the '65 Supercab.

I was on the MSN board as 'Name Brand' and had posted up pics of the '65 Supercab I found in some trees. It's a red and white F-250 with a two door extended cab and a short (less that six foot) styleside bed. It has a 352, 4 speed and twin I beam front. Says 'Craning Service' on the side and has all the Custom Cab chrome on it. It's pretty rough looking in the pics.

I was just trying to find pictures of it online and found the MSN site had shut down. I'm deployed right now to Kosovo and I don't have any of the truck pictures on my new computer. Did anyone save them and can they post them here?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

welcome (back) from Talkeetna.

i had that page bookmarked but now its gone.
wish i would have save the pics instead of the page.
i did post some of your truck in a crewcab thread a while back.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

We were mentioning you recently while wondering where some went. Welcome Back!!!!!!!!!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
robert porterfield

Post by robert porterfield »

another member here has a 644x4 version of what your asking for go to member list search for "64crew4x4" then go to "crew is finally home" open and check out those photo's.......wish i was savvy enough to know how to "link" it to here but i don't :( so hope this helps.......
lifes hard wear helmet!
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I was thinking someone had salvaged the photos from the old site. Maybe not, but it would be great if they did.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I saved this pic, now I wish I grabbed more. :)

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
65 CREW

Post by 65 CREW »

I saw a truck like that in Homer, AK last summer.
1965 Ford F350 Crewcab, currently getting a Cummins 6bt conversion.
65 CREW

Post by 65 CREW »

Doh, I just looked and saw that you are from Homer.

I will be down that way again this summer, I will have to keep an eye out for it. I seem to recall there was more than one crew cab down there.
1965 Ford F350 Crewcab, currently getting a Cummins 6bt conversion.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:welcome: Back Supercab65, from the real down there!, I remember seeing that pic!, if you see any Aussies over there don't forget to say G`Day to them!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Supercab65

Post by Supercab65 »

That's it allright!

I checked out the other thread for 64crew4x4; cool; add another supercab to the handful.

I'm thinking about how to make this truck a practical year round driver and towrig. I need a rig to haul a trailer or stack of plywood once in a while. Being a practical truck for me means a longbed. I still want it to be pretty; all the chrome stays! I even found some great chrome tow mirrors from a '76 F250! A flatbed with toolboxes would be really handy, but I'm not sure how to make it complement the cab. I may just add in the factory bedside toolboxes that were on many of the stylsides.

The appeal of a full restoration has gone way down. I'm liking the idea of using a more modern chassis. It'd be alot less work to have the engine/driveline/fuel/brakes all done. Like 1998 or newer super-duty. I'd like to have 4x4 and a diesel. 4x4 is just so I could drive it year round; I already have an offroad rig. I'd probably run a 33" tire on a very short lift (if needed). I could get rid of the in-cab fuel tank too. The fuel fill cap has got to stay functional though! Since the '65s floor is going to need alot of new sheetmetal, I was thinking about grafting in the floor from the donor chassis. Solves the cab mount problem and would let me bolt in very modern seats and use a factory carpet or rubber mat (practical...).

If I do a longbed; add 30" (the extra length of my supercab over a shortcab) to a longbed slick's wheelbase of 129" gives me a slick with a wheelbase of 159". The current superduty with longbed and supercab has a wheelbase of 158".

Not sure on color...

The red and white has really grown on me. I'm trying to picture some long '60s era scallops on the side just starting behind the front wheelwell.
If you look at page 36 of 'Hot Rod Deluxe', May'09, you'll see how good a dark blue satin looks with chrome. I've always wanted a blue truck.
A shiny black and dark grey would look cool too. Maybe the same two-tone, or the body in dark grey with black accent on the raised portion of the fenders and some muscle car like stripes down the hood, roof, tailgate.

The roof is slightly oil-panned. What if I cut it out and did a ragtop?

So... am I destroying a treasure by putting it on a modern chassis? Or am I a saving a classic and making it better than it was before? Or do you just want to see something done with the dog-gone thing??? Questions and comments are always appreciated.
Last edited by Supercab65 on April 10, 2009, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supercab65

Post by Supercab65 »

Besides all the european nations, I have seen a few Australians and some Canadians too!
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Sounds like you know already what would be involved in the later chassis swap. The gas tank idea you have could work for that too, those chassis have an available front tank that you may be able to swap end for end and just run a metal tube down from the stock filler (can you tell I looked into this?).
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.