body work questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

body work questions

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i brought some uni doors in to work on, not rusted bad , just surface but each one has a vertical dent on the hinge end, cant get my hand and any beating instrument in there. tried sticking a 2x4 in and prying but cant get quite enough leverage to pop it back without bending the inside of the door.i would like to get these dents out and use a minimal of filler and not drill a bunch of holes if possible.if i have to drill 1 for a puller i can weld the hole up not a big deal as i have mirror mount holes to weld.
could i possibly weld something to the outside of the door and pull, then remove it after the dent is out?
if i heat it with the torch will it warp the door more rather than make it easier to pull out ?
easier to patch some rust holes in some different doors? i picked these because they were the least rusted of all the ones i have.
TIA
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

you can tack some rods onto the surfice and then use a slid hammer to pop them out. If you are woried about pulling to much and the rest of the panel then you can hold it still with a 2x4 or something. Then just gring off the tack welds to remove the rods.

I would not heat up the panel as you will probable cause more harm than good.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I have seen a tool that welds little metal rods to the dented area, and then you use a slide hammer to pull on the rods to pop the dent out. I'm not a body man, so I don't know what it's called,how to use it or what it cost, etc etc. I watched a guy pull a pretty good sized dent in just about two minutes with it a few years ago.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Ice, if I understood you, I think you are fightnig a "crease" rather than a "dent". I'm not a body man but more of a fabricator. Let me suggest this if all else fails. Take your panel cutter and carefully put a thin slice right down the center of the crease. Then try to get in there behind it to push one half of the crease out then get the other half. If you can't get it from the inside then you'll have to rig up somthing to prise it up from the front. Once they are as level as you can get them, tack it all back together. Since I'm not a great welder, I would try to put a piece of 18 gauge behind it to fill the seam. Good luck,
Jim
Last edited by jakdad on January 2, 2007, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

You need to find a stud welder. I do not know if anyone rents them. They are kinda pricey. Here's a link to Eastwood. I'm sure you can get them cheaper somewhere else. Once you're done pulling the dent, you cut the stem of the stud off, then grind down the the head.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... SubCat=512
F-Zilla

Post by F-Zilla »

BUY FORD, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MOTOR COMPANY!

65 F100
66 F100
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Ice.
If it is a crease, do like Jim says and cut the crease. I'd use a dremel tool, a jig saw with a fine blade, or something that makes a very fine cut.
Also, stop drill each end of the crease so it doesn't migrate when you start pulling it out. If you stop drill first, you can get your jig saw in there without any problems.
Make a flat tool that will fit in the cut, with a right angle and pull out one side at a time, with vice grips on the tool so you don't cut yourself.
Spot weld the cut back up starting in the middle and working toward the ends.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Comet

Post by Comet »

Can you get a dolly behind it? Hammer and dolly. Then shrink dolly
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

If it is a crease then you hit the crease at the top with a pick hammer up and down along it until it shrinks enough. Try to get a dolly back there and if you can't then no big deal. Pick hammer and then shrinking hammer. If it's a dent then you need a WELD ON stud gun but these can cost LOTS of money. Worth it if you plan to do lots of dents in your lifetime but if not then try to barrow one from someone or work a deal out with a small local body shop.
Those seem to be the only option I can think of right now.