Broke down on way to work

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

At least it was a cheap fix. :wink:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

I have been down that road twice before. One time it was the rod that bent at one end and eventually broke and the other was the pin wearing out. Not only do I carry an extra rod (since I carry an extra it will probably never break again) I also have the extra plastic sleeve that fits into both ends. If and when the sleeves go it seems to start the rod wear. The extra I carry and the ones I have seen on my parts rigs have all been worn. As Slick Fan said at least it is an easy and cheep fix......one of the few I have found.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Glad it worked out for you Doc, welcome back seems like it's been a while, how's the mileage experiment?
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that happened to me last winter, cotter pin on the bottom end gave out.was just leaving the gas station so the parts were still there on the ground.used a hook from the end of a tiny bungee cord.still on there.should change it.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I hate how those rods wear out. I had a '77 highboy a few years ago & the pedal end of that rod was almost completely worn through. It would have broken on me really soon.
I ended up making a new rod with adjustable Polaris snowmoslug tie rod ends on either end...

Now I wish I took pics of the actual piece. :?
Because it now bolts into the pedal end & the bellcrank end, there's absolutely no wear on those two parts...and the best part?...

...the clutch felt as smooth as BUTTER! It almost felt like it had a hydraulic clutch on it. I'm definitely making myself some for my other trucks, when the time comes. :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ABA

Post by ABA »

It's a good idea to keep some extra rods in your truck too. They will snap a end off. My '74 Econoline was bad about it.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

Thats definatley a lot easier to fix than a 2002 F150 clutch.. Last summer on my way to work my slave cylinder went out on me.. STUPID enginners and they're hydraulic clutches, and having to pull the entire trans to pull the slave cylinder at 43,000 miles. luckily I was able to limp it back home and hop into my 1964 MANUAL clutch truck and make it to work... Hydraulic clutches piss me off... If I lived in a state without road salt, I'd be driving a slick or something similar everyday.

BTW, if you ever lose a cotter pin on the shift linkage or clutch linkage.... most simple key rings fit into the hole. Works great and they'll never come off.. quick and easy fix to get ya back on the road...
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed