65 steering coupler - need advice fast.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ClanCassidy

65 steering coupler - need advice fast.

Post by ClanCassidy »

Hi all,

My steering coupler (rag joint) is dry rotted and has to go. My 65 F100 has manual steering with a 3 on the column. I've got all the coupler bolts (3) removed and just need to make some clearance between the steering gear and steering column shaft to get the old coupler our and the new one it.

It seems I can either losen the steering column or remove the steering gear bolts (3) and hopefully get enough room. I'm going to try option 2 this morning unless you guys know better?

Thanks.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

I think either way would be okay. I helped a friend chnage the one in his 66 and we loosen the steering column and pulled it into the cab to do his.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Hi
I think i had to remove the steering column bolts to get enough clearance to change mine. I have a floor shifter so didnt have to unhook the shifter rods so you may have to do that also. I cant remember if i had to remove the plate on the firewall, but thats not a big job.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

You might try removing the top 2 steering box bolts, loosening the bottom one, and tilting the box forward a bit.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

FYI they sell a rebuild fit for the rag joint at most autoparts stores...if your steel is ok you might check that out before you use another used one or buy a new one for lots of $$.

both metods should work to get the old one out. I have always just dropped the gearbox.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
ClanCassidy

Post by ClanCassidy »

Thanks guys - I ended up dropping the gear and it went smoothly. I couldn't rebuild it cause the previous owner had driven it for a long time driving on the metal stops which are all wallowed out.

The new one has a polyurethane disc instead of the old pc of tire - should be good for another 40 years.

Thanks again.

John.
winr

Post by winr »

Hi John.

Where did you get the polyurethane disc ?

I may try one on my '65.

Richard.
All your Slicks are belong to us