Question about kingpin bushings

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Comet

Question about kingpin bushings

Post by Comet »

How do you get them out of the spindle? Just find something the right diameter and press them out?
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

I was able to knock mine out with a oval shaped drift punch. The end that contacts the bushing is ground at a slight angle to keep it on the bushing edge but not so much that it digs into the spindle.

If you clean the bushing well you might be able to find the seam in it and be able to roll the bushing in on its self also

Pressing them out should work well also if you can find a good fitting drift.

If you have any trouble with the bushing on reassembly and end up needing one let me know

When i was reaming mine the guide shaft broke and I ended up buying a second kingpin set to get one bushing so I do have 3 extra ones

good luck with it
Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks ford4jack. I'm replacing my bushings so I am not concerned about ruining them. I was able to clean them up good, I'll look for that seam.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Make sure you're using new brass bushings, as opposed to the nylon ones. The nylon ones are crap, for obvious reasons. :roll:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Comet

Post by Comet »

Yeah, they are bronze. I didn't even see the nylon ones offered for this year truck. Not that I would have order those anyway.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

King pin reamers and drivers show up on Ebay all the time for a reasonable price. Aftermarket ones came as a unit to do both jobs. There is a Fotd reamer and driver in seperate auctions on Ebay right now. I've put a snipe bid in for both items, but I already have an aftermarket one. If someone needs these, I would drop my snipe bid. Just thought it would be neat to have the original set.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

64 f100 wrote:King pin reamers and drivers show up on Ebay all the time for a reasonable price. Aftermarket ones came as a unit to do both jobs. There is a Fotd reamer and driver in seperate auctions on Ebay right now. I've put a snipe bid in for both items, but I already have an aftermarket one. If someone needs these, I would drop my snipe bid. Just thought it would be neat to have the original set.

Rich

I'd like a set of those, how much are we talking?
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Comet

Post by Comet »

I finally got the parts today. Unfortunately I'm leaving town for a week. There are more parts in this kit than I know what to do with. I guess I need to go find a manual (something I've been meaning to do anyway).
BikerDude

Post by BikerDude »

I bought a kingpin reamer off ebay for $40 and paid that much because I "bought it now" since I needed it quickly. You'll have to have someone press in your new brass bushings and then you can work VERY slowly up to the correct size. You CAN'T just use a micrometer to check the size since the reamers are 5 sided therefore no two cutting surfaces match up. I just worked up slowly until the kingpin went in with some fairly good resistance......pound it in with your hand.....if it drops through you just bought a new set of bushings!! Use lots of lube and bring some muscle and a good solid bench and vise!! It's worth the time and the money you will save. Machinists wanted $85 per hour and most talked about "honing" them. First indication that they didn't know what they were doing...brass just rolls up into little balls if you hone it.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Prices vary on the reamers. That original reamer and driver went high. Roughly 120 for the pair. 83 I think on the reamer, and about 40 on the drift. Normally, you can pick up the kind of set I have for about 30$. The reamer I have is real easy to use. drive out the old bushing, drive in the new one, and ream it. Check with your ping for fit. Make sure you line up the grease zerk hole with the hole in the bushing. This is not rocket science, but don get to carried away when install ing the pin that holds the kingpin. Someday you may want to replace these again. If you tighten the nut on the pin to much, you can ruin the axle and have a lot of fun getting the kingpins out the next time. One suggestion, if you know of an old time mechanic, that had a small hole in the wall shop, he's probably got one of the reamers he might lend or sell you.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus