64 project "Money Pit"

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Bumper looks different than where I thought you were going. One of the nicest I've seen on a slick, ecspecially chromed! Props for the patience on that task. I don't think I could make it. :D Hate that I'm gonna have to miss seeing it this weekend but the rain has for sure made an entrance.
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Red - Bumper pics in your post look WAY better than those in your phone! Nice meeting you in Pigeon Forge this weekend. Hope to see you again sometime soon. Keep up the good work.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Alan Mclennan wrote:That`s brilliant Red!, and so simple!, I wonder how a rubber cap would go on the pan-head bolt?. I might have to order some of your runners also! 8)
Alan, I think that some rubber bumpers would work fine and as far as the runners go, I'd be happy to make you a set for the cost of the material and the shipping. Just let me know.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

64low-n-slow wrote:Red - Bumper pics in your post look WAY better than those in your phone! Nice meeting you in Pigeon Forge this weekend. Hope to see you again sometime soon. Keep up the good work.
Thanks man. Your truck looked pretty sweet too. I know that you are enjoying it. Can't wait until I get mine to the point that I can do the same.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Reds Rod Shop wrote:
Alan Mclennan wrote:That`s brilliant Red!, and so simple!, I wonder how a rubber cap would go on the pan-head bolt?. I might have to order some of your runners also! 8)
Alan, I think that some rubber bumpers would work fine and as far as the runners go, I'd be happy to make you a set for the cost of the material and the shipping. Just let me know.
Thanks for the offer Red!, I might just take you up on that! 8) would be even better if I could pick them up from your joint!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

I think the new look on that front bumper ties the whole look of the front end all together. I like it. Nice and sleek yet still looks stock. You should have been a designer for Ford.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

gas4blood wrote:Man I really love this truck. The roll pan made from a spare tail gate is a really cool idea. Its the simple and clean mods that really make a truck like this stand out from the pack. Keep up the good work man!
thanks man but i can't take the credit for the roll pan. I got the idea from someone on this site. They actually posted it even with the dimensions. I liked it a lot as it is subtle and most people won't notice it is a tailgate top.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

I worked on the truck a little yesterday but didn't get a lot done. My hobby is turning into a job. We bagged a 89 1500 this week and a ranger. Who knows, I could be working myself into a career change. lol I did refabricate the air tank mounts and get a list together of the stainless fittings to finish plumbing up the air ride. I also have the lift free'd up to get my truck on it first thing in the morning. I hope to get the bumper brackets located on the frame and the bumper located and welded to the brackets. Once this is done, I can finish working the edges of the brackets. Also picked up a slab sander to finish working the metal on the bumper to ensure that it is straight. It may end up painted to start with but will be chromed at some point. (got to see how my funds go). I'll take pics of the progress tomorrow.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Finally got the truck on the lift this morning and got the bumper brackets welded to the bumper and bolted to the frame. 8000 measurements for just a few welds. I did allow for 5/16" adjustment from side to side and slotted the holes for the frame bolts. The rear of the bumper is 3/4" off of the grill. Now I can finish up the edges of the bumper, finish modifying the fenders and start on the valance between the grill and the bumper. My plan is to drop the front edge of the fender to the same level as the bottom of the bumper. It'll be an illusion to make the truck look lower when all the air is out of the bags but also will help with the flow of the lines. I also got the seats bolted in. I welded studs up through the bottom of the cab. Not I can finish molding in the console to the dash and back of the cab. Lots to do and the AC in the shop is down. I believe it got up to 100 degrees in there today. It was a sweat box in there today... Here are some pics of the progress.

3/4" spacers

Finally attached to the frame

stock bumper vs. modified

Air tank relocated from my original location. Out and up a little. Below are the locations where the compressors will be mounted if I can minimize the vibrations

I couldn't resist this shot and I was locking everything up for the day in the shop. Old Skoolo vs. New Skool.

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Red, that last pic does not do Old Red justice!, love the bumper treatment tho!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Power by Ford

Post by Power by Ford »

Red
Take a look at the valance edge where it meets up with the fender. You may want to work than into the fender as well to get rid of that blunt edge. Looking very good.
Love those SLICKS
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Power by Ford wrote:Red
Take a look at the valance edge where it meets up with the fender. You may want to work than into the fender as well to get rid of that blunt edge. Looking very good.
I will. I'm planning on reworking quite a bit around that area to help with the flow of the lines.

I'm hoping to get the bumper finished up this weekend. I worked a little while this past weekend on an aluminum fan shroud for the electric fan. I also got the stainless fittings to finish plumbing up the air ride ordered. Should be here on Thursday. Here's the progress from the weekend.

Got it bent up and tig welded with the hole in it.

Gonna be a tight fit between the radiator and the water pump pulley. Had to offset the fan for clearance.

Power by Ford

Post by Power by Ford »

Nice looking job on the shroud. My progress has come to a halt lately.
Love those SLICKS
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

nice work!

where u gettin stainless airfittings? are they ptc?
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

dragginwagon wrote:nice work!

where u gettin stainless airfittings? are they ptc?
I purchased as many as I could locally but was still missing some special fittings like street 90's. I found a web site "www.buyfittingsonline.com" Their prices are a little cheaper than local but I only ordered what the local stores didn't have. I try to do business with local, smaller companies to keep the revenue local. They are rated at 150 psi.
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

Awesome job!! Where did you get the radiator?
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

dmsmith6 wrote:Awesome job!! Where did you get the radiator?
The radiator is a Griffin Radiator one off. I have a friend that works there. He got it built for me to fit the truck. It has a rolled top, trans cooler, and is a 2 row but the rows are extra wide, they are equivilent to a 4 row. It set me back 4 bills but retail on it was over 7, so I won't complain.
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

seen this thing in the july mini truckin... looked good!
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

dragginwagon wrote:seen this thing in the july mini truckin... looked good!
Thanks man. I didn't know that it was going to be in there until it came out. It will be in Truckin magazine this month as an under construction feature for my Cousin's Shop. It hits the stands on June 28th. I'm stoked... :lol:
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

sweet, i had a blazer featured last year... its a great feeling!

id like to get an under construction on this build, but who knows?