mounting issues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dav

mounting issues

Post by dav »

I seem to have an issue getting my engine in the center of the chassis and still have clearance for headers and starter and steering all on the same side. How much off center can I be and still be ok. And if the engine is off and the trans. on center (at an angle front to rear) will this give me drive line grief with the U joint wearing or making noise or vibrating.
YES I am using a mopar motor( had it built in trade for body work and the guy backed out )
God rules ,slicks rock & Mopar motors don't fit well (yet)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:( I know how you feel!, just move it sideways enough to get it in, but I didn't tell you that! :lol: here`s how I know!
[img][img]http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee337/maccas66/DSCF0004.jpg[/img][/img]
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Tech

Post by Tech »

Ford offsets the engines all the time. A friend suggested that you not exceed 3 degrees bend in the drive line to keep the ujoints / tail shaft bushings from burning up. That works out to 5/8" per foot of drive line. And yes the engine and gear box need to be parallel to keep the drive line happy.
Tech
Gnant

Post by Gnant »

Both my slicks stock motor mounts are offset to the passenger side. One is a 240 six and the other will be a 390 with a C6. With the V8 it seems to me an offset will be necessary to accommodate the steering gear box and exhaust. Haven't actually gotten that far yet though. The yolk on your differential -- if stock -- should be offset to the passenger side as well. That will give you an idea of how much you can slide the motor over.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers
dav

Post by dav »

thanx dint even think bout the diff being off center
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i thought the diff was in the center and the axles were the same length???
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
dav

Post by dav »

any body know how far off centre the input is on the pumpkin I don't have the rear end completed yet and I'll make the trans out put match that then adjust the motor mounts to acomodate
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Dav, my 9" is 14 1/2 " to the centre of the input from the right hand side chassis rail up right.
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
dav

Post by dav »

Alan what are you calling an up right
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

ezernut9mm
If the axles are the same length then the input must be off set to give room for the ring and pinion and side gears.

Alan
Is the engine in your truck offset to the left? On the state side trucks the engine and the Transmission tunnel is off set to the right giving the passenger less floor than the driver. Is yours opposite?
Bill
dav

Post by dav »

I come up with 14.875 from outside of the frame rail to pinion center using string and level but its only a guess as my pumpkin is not complete what does any oone else get thanx for all your help :D :)