PA registration

NY, NJ, PA, DE, DC, MD

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MeanMan66

PA registration

Post by MeanMan66 »

For the guys from PA (or anyone else)

My 66 f250 C/C C/S is rated at 7500# GVWR, in PA this is considered class 3 truck and annual fee for plate (registration) is $153

But....PA-DOT has MV-41 form where I can downgrade the GVWR (with mechanic's signature) to something less than rating. If I claim less than 7000# I move to class 2 which costs $81/yr

For a signature I can save 70 bucks a year. Not going to make me rich but every little bit helps.
Since I don't haul major loads in this truck, I don't think dropping 500# off legal rating is any big deal; but, I don't want to do something I may regret later.

Question 1....has anyone else down-rated GVWR
Question 2....anyone think of any reason not to do it
Question 3....should I consider classic or antique plates which cost considerably less, but come with restrictions

Opinions?

Thanks, Rich
finis origine pendet
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Rich, BTDT with my '66 Brand C that was a 3/4 ton. I dropped it down to half ton and never looked back. I see absolutely no downside to it. I haul mulch in my F100 once a year and it's practically on the bump stops, certainly over it's rating and nobody gives it a second glance. Save the money; PA won't spend it on anything useful anyway. :P
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
65 66 Ford

Post by 65 66 Ford »

As long as you donot haul a load that will put you over your new rating there is nothing to worry about.
Fran

65 Ford F100 CC style side looooongbedddddd

Be American buy American