Hey. I found this place after buying a '66.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Chameleon

Hey. I found this place after buying a '66.

Post by Chameleon »

I have started doing lots of research recently, because I want to restore a 1966 F100 that I bought last week. I pretty much have the VIN figured out, but I have a few questions for the moment:

1. What's the best way to buy shop manuals and the like? If it's through an online store, which one is the most reputable? I think these will go a long way toward answering most of the questions I might have.

2. What's the best source of info for the bigger Ford trucks from 61-66? I ask because I may have an opportunity to get my hands on a '62 or '63 F600 with a dump bed.

3. Do I have to be a part of the MSN group, or can I just get away with being a member here?
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

As fars as manuals some others probably will chime in. I didn't use any manuals on mine just internet resources. I also used a few of the sales catalogs., some of them have diagrams posted in them. I think I have a few links posted in the tennesse/Kentucky slick site. As far as bigger trucks don't forget the junkyard schoolbuses out there. Some have posted the schoolbuses have a lot of parts and most people don't fix those up and over look them. As far as joining the msn group you don't have to ,this location was made to take the place of the msn group. But there are local chapters\web pages for most of the states out there.I think most are in the link section here.
winr

Post by winr »

Hey Chameleon :D

Welcome!!

Richard.
All your Slicks are belong to us
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Welcome to the club Chameleon, I bought my service manuals from mac's, I love them and have them out in the garage with me where I need them. But, I rely heavily on the knowledge of the
people who use this site.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

ICEman is your #1 source for info on the big trucks. He knows everything and more about them. :shock:

Welcome to the group!! :D
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Someone had a manual on CD that he was selling. I just can't remember if it was for parts or repairs. :welcome:
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

willy: I'll keep the junkyards in mind, regardless of whether I buy that F600 or not.

66fordtrucknut: Would you happen to have a link to Mac's site?

MadMaxetc: That's good to know. I'd still like to get my hands on manuals, though, if only to keep my questions down to a minimum.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Chameleon welcome to the club.
As willy stated this site is to replace and improve upon the original MSN site that served us welll, But Bill Gates and co. just doesn't want to cooperate with us.

Maybe you should state where you are from, there are local chapters too that can help, i.e. if you are out in the NE the MAC chapter is a good and active one with an organized parts dump and some real world-class members.

Texas has a good group of guys but no formal site, you have to drink beer with Skip to be let in on their secrets :wink:
there are others, too.

If you happen to be Canadian, Macs Parts are a bunch of @#$%^ jerks, otherwise they might be able to help you out.

So a little info goes a long ways here, and again, you hit the place for Slicks that can't be beat. :D

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
DanSanDiego2000

Welcome

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

Welcome to the club!

As far as shop manuals go, I have purchased 2 different sets of manuals on CD-ROM. They have 10-12,000 pages in each set of CDs, and range in coverage from F100-350, and big trucks, vans and busses. Lots and lots of stuff. Part numbers, diagrams, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-66-FORD-TRUCK-SHOP-BODY-MANUAL-ON-CD_W0QQitemZ150074224864QQihZ005QQcategoryZ34221QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't necessarily grab-up this one. The two I bought were from different suppliers. Snoop around a little, and find what you like. I imagine 10-12,000 pages in print would require an addition to be built on to most people's garages. All this info on 2 CDs is very convenient. If you want a page or 2, print it off, take it to the shop, and no worries about getting it greasy, you can always reprint.

Best wishes.

Dan
65Truck_Nut

Post by 65Truck_Nut »

Welcome to the club! Its a relief to not be the newest guy now! I am a ford addict and a eBay addict too. I have came across many manuals on eBay.So Thats the extent of what I have to offer. I believe you will like this club and these guys. I have only been a member 3 or 4 days and This bunch of ford truck addicts have been helpful and humorous at the same time and the best part they havent kicked me out yet!!!! Cheers, 65Truck_Nut / Byron
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?Z ... Auto_Parts

I think it worked,
Charlie,
get a real catalog
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I don't own any manuals other than a generic 1965 MOTOR manual because, to me, these trucks are so simple I shouldn't need one beyond a few torque specs. :)
If you go after the original printed manuals that come up on Ebay, be aware there are THREE volumes to make up one manual. Sets go for big bucks. I think if you're patient you can buy them individually for less.
I have not seen any of the Slick manuals on CD but I do know from other brands it's all about the quality of the reproduction installed on the CD. Some have been very poor and are almost unreadable. Buy from a reputable source who has good feedback or will take a return if you aren't happy with them.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

DV65CustomCab wrote:to me, these trucks are so simple I shouldn't need one beyond a few torque specs. :)

I agree. However for the cool factor, I started collecting the original volumes to the repair manual a couple years ago. Now it's complete & something I love to own. :D So far, I haven't had the need to refer to them for a technical question.
For me personally, I wouldn't want to buy a CD version. I prefer to thumb through pages, as opposed to surfing through pdf files on the confuzer.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Ugh. I saw the actual paper manuals on eBay last night. I went to check on them today, and now they're gone. They were asking something like $98 for the whole set. Is that a good deal, or a rip-off?

Johnny Canuck: M$ is generally evil like that.

Slick Fan: For personal reference, I'd much rather have the CD, assuming the scans are high quality. Aside from not having to hold pages open, I can make a copy of the CD and put it someplace safe, in case the original gets messed up. However, the actual paper manuals do seem to have a cool factor of their own, and I'll probably end up going that route.

DanSanDiego: I'm something of a bookworm, so I have plenty of shelf space.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Hello Chameleon, welcome to Slick 60s and our great new site 8)

You're 100% right about a CD BUT you have to get a CD from an OEM, FACTORY, Shop Service & Repair Manual Set (usually 3 individual manuals = CD's) Otherwise you get CDs of a aftermarket generics that you can get cheaper and still won't give you the "nit", techniques, sequential operations, etc. you're most likely looking for. :wink:

As for prices, OEM Manuals are not a "cost" they are an Investment IMHO. Screw up a $300 item because there are a few instructions,are not in a Haynes or Motors or other manual, or are incorrect instructions in the manual and what have you saved compared to what you have spent by breaking or damaging something? :roll:

I was a Service Tech for years at FoMoCo dealers. I rely on OEM Shop Service Manuals I have left. I wish they were on a CD so I could print page (s) I need & not get greasy thumb prints on the rest of my OEM/ Factory Service & Repair Manuals. :roll:

But hey, that's my FWIW if you want it. :lol:

Point is Hi & Welcome to the Slick 60 Club/ group- forum

FBp
Change is the Only Constant
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Iceman knows a lot about the big trucks as we do since we have 2 big trucks now , Our BIG SLICK & now a F-500 Dump Truck + old reliable F-350 Wrecker, Today started tearing our F-750 apart today for parts since could not sell as a whole
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

FORDBOYpete: I am not the type to cut corners. If the CDs don't have scans of official manuals, then I'm not interested. If the paper manuals I find aren't official, then I'm not interested.

Let me put it this way: My truck has a little damage on both fenders, which could probably be fixed with bondo pretty easily. Instead, I plan on either finding the actual fenders or, failing that, ordering them.

That just made me think of a question: If I order fenders from say, LMC, will they be the same quality as the fenders in 1966, or will they be made of some sort of lesser metal? I can get all Howard Hughes on somebody about these little details.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

If anyone is selling replacement sheetmetal and it's painted black, then it's 22 Ga. and from Taiwan - painted for protection while cruising over on the love boat.

Good stuff is usually bare metal or gray and 18 Ga. I'd call and ask first where it's made before ordering. Trust me.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i bought the fomoco shop manual for 61 trucks, covers 100-800 series, 62 is just a supplement, got him too.
FBP is right.the big hardbound motors and chiltons are ok, but the little ones for individual cars and trucks sorely lack.the chiltons for Ford trucks goes 65-86 or something, covers the common stuff, but its for shade-trees.factory manuals are what the professionals use.
i have taken so much apart and rebuilt i only really use them for specs or if i suspect missing pieces in something i am working on.
another good thing is the troubleshooting section.leads you to the problem step by step.
if i had a computer in the shop i might go for a few cds but i bought one, a parts cd for 64-79 and i am pretty sure it caused a computer crash one time.have not tried it again.ill stick with the print for now.

big trucks are just bigger.straight axle same just way bigger.same engines as the little ones until you get past f600.big trucks just need bigger tools and some of the parts are heavier.more room for crawling around underneath though.

not sure what the wight of the uni-crew will be completed but the f500 GVWR is 15.000 so if it weighs 7000 i can fit 8000 lb in the bed.anyone know how many gold bricks that would be? :hm:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Max: Thanks for the tip. I'd hate to butcher the truck with inferior parts.

ICEMAN: I'll keep that in mind, concerning the manuals. I'd like to eventually be able to say that if I don't know something about my truck, I can easily look it up.

By the way, try 291.97 bars, assuming they weigh 27.4 lbs each. I love Google.