kstones63 project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

Re: kstones63 project

Post by Greg D »

Up to your usual standard of excellence & innovation Kevin! worship.gif
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Here is the current update.
The plumbing is a nightmare for the radiator hoses but it all worked out.

I got the fender aprons put in tonight. They are pretty close to the heads but there is plenty of clearance for engine movement.
passenger side
drivers side
I took out the rubber that I had between the aprons and the cab because I wasn't crazy about the way it looked. I picked up some weatherstripping and glued it to the edge of the fender apron before I installed them. They look a lot better than the other rubber did. I am assuming that it will hold up okay or at least I hope that it does.
The next step is to get the a/c lines and the heater hoses hooked up this weekend and then the fenders and grill will go back on.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I drove my truck this afternoon. :clap: :D
I had some problems getting the engine burped but with time and persistance I finally got it done. The engine came to 190 degrees and stayed right there. It really ran good, the transmission seemed to work great and I couldn't be happier at this time.
I guess it's the Lincoln transmission but you can't hardly feel it go into gear and feel it shift.
It sounds great under acceleration and almost a little bit too loud. If I get tired of that I guess I can put the cats back on it and that will probably quiet it down a little bit.
Now I have to get the fenders and grill back on.

Kevin
kstones63
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

great looking ride Kevin.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Power by Ford

Post by Power by Ford »

Kevin
Very well done on the engine install. It fits very nice between the inner fender wells. Any issues with computer throwing codes?
Love those SLICKS
TheOPWK

Post by TheOPWK »

You going to make it out to Goodguys with the truck this weekend?
Scott R.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Power by Ford wrote:Kevin
Very well done on the engine install. It fits very nice between the inner fender wells. Any issues with computer throwing codes?

I had this figured that I would have just enough clearance to slide my fingers between the valve covers and the fender wells. That would have been correct but I decided to slide the engine back about another 3/4" so that gave a little bit more room.
It did throw some codes but I knew that it would. I needed to remove the egr valve for firewall clearance and it had 3 codes for that and 1 for the IAC motor. I replaced the IAC and haven't rechecked for codes yet. Now that I have driven it, I need to go back with the code reader and check for driving codes to see if there are any others, hopefully not.
I plan to put a chip in it so I can delete the egr and the purge canister valve.
My neighbor was out when I left in the truck and said that it sounded really good.

OPWK, I am planning on going to the GoodGuys show but I won't have the fenders and hood back on yet so I won't be bringing it. :( :(
I want to get any other codes repaired before I get the body back together. I still need to hook up the O/D switch and I need to find what I want from the vendors at the show.
Are you going to be there with your truck??

Kevin
kstones63
TheOPWK

Post by TheOPWK »

Yeah, I'll be there for sure.
Scott R.
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

kstones63 wrote:
Power by Ford wrote:Kevin

I plan to put a chip in it so I can delete the egr and the purge canister valve.
Kevin

I got to thinking more today about your setup and I think this will work to delete the EGR. Simple little resetor but it will keep that check engine light off until you figure out what chip your going with. Just a suggestion/thought. The purge canister shouldn't cause driving problems or MIL lights. :)

http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/egr-eliminator
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

The piece that they show doesn't match up with my EGR. They say that it will work on most up to 95. I probabl have the one that isn't included in the most.
I have an easier solution to the light. If it bothers me, I will just unhook the wire from the gauge module until I get a chip for it.
I have been looking at the Moates Quarterhorse chip but I think that it is a little bit over my head for right now although the challenge does make me want to got that way. My better judgement is saying to buy a preprogrammed chip and live with it for now.

Kevin
kstones63
lo6fo
United States of America

Post by lo6fo »

wow i cant believe ive missed this build thread. amazing work
64 f100 long bed 292 with a 4 speed
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I can't believe that I forgot to post a pic of the engine finished with the MAF cover on it.
I have a few other things that I am doing but they are taking time.
If you look at the burp valve, you can see that I got it messed up trying to get it open so I made a cover for it. It is at the chrome shop right now so I can't get a pic of it. I have a couple of other small parts that are ordered and waiting on.

I guess that these projects are never done. There is always something else that we want to change.

Kevin
kstones63
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

what a great truck. just dont sell it.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

This truck doesn't ever get sold. It goes in the will so that the kids can't even sell it. :lol:

Kevin
kstones63
randyr

Post by randyr »

That engine looks awesome, Kevin!!! Way better than the SBC you had in there!!! :shock: :lol: How does it perform? Are you pleased with it? Looking forward to seeing it at the Western Nationals again this year. :)
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I will be at the F100 Weatern Nationals this year. We plan to go over on Thursday so we can do the drive on Friday with the group.
I drove it aroound at the Fabulous Fords show and it did about 15 mpg running around in LA. I think that it will do better. It runs really good and smooth. I couldn't be happier.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Here are some pics of the latest additions. I didn't like the oil dipstick or the oil cap so I found these. The dip stick handle needed some modifications to make it work. I had to redrill a hole in the handle to properly locate the dipstick so it would be accurate. The oil cap is just a cover that goes over the original.

I made this cover for the radiator and had it chromed along with the original mount that I made.

I messed up the burp valve plug with a pipe wrench trying to get it out when I installed the engine, so I made this piece to cover it up and had it chromed.

Now to get the rest of it cleaned up to look like the new parts.

Kevin
kstones63
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

Kevin, I really wish you would pay better attention to detail....... :shock: Your work is the best and something we can only aspire to. Wish I had even a little of your talent....I could easily be in more trouble than I usually am. GREAT BUILD....
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

ras4434 wrote:Kevin, I really wish you would pay better attention to detail....... :shock: Your work is the best and something we can only aspire to. Wish I had even a little of your talent....I could easily be in more trouble than I usually am. GREAT BUILD....

Thank you, but really anybody can do this stuff with a lot of patience and time. It also helps to have a neighbor that is fussy and likes to help and teach.

Kevin
kstones63
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

I love how you hid all the wires for the engine :D. That is going to be fun trick on my 5.0 . The engine compartment in the crown vic looks like the underfloor area of a commercial computer room :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D