kstones63 project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Here are current pics of where I am at.
I got the doors installed.

I had the wing vent frames powdercoated and new smoke colored glass made for the wing vents, door windows and back glass.

This pic is where I cut where I cut the cowl and reshaped it to make it make the radius on the door. Its a very slight difference but if you look at one that isn't done like this, you can see the difference.

I go to upholstery August 14th, if he is ready for mine.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i have noticed the cowl too. stamping wasn't too precise back then i guess. your truck really looks good. are you afraid of it yet? lol. i would be.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

Sweet truck, Kevin. Can't wait to see it ,I' m almost a Zonie.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

The truck went to the upholsterer. He was concerned about the way that I wanted the door panels to be made. He builds the panels out of 1/8" Luan plywood and would have to assemble 3 or 4 pieces to make it go up to the top.
I bought a 4x8 sheet of ABS plsstic and made them for him. I went to azratrod's house to borrow a couple of doors that were off the truck. Aeric and I heated the ABS with a propane torch and formed the recess in the door with a piece of wood. I took them back home and trimmed them to fit. They turned out pretty good.
The upholsterer got them clipped on the doors and was happy.
This is an idea of the layout on the door panel. The carboard is there to keep the clips from showing though the foam and material.
The speakers will be covered with perforated holes to let the sound out. The p/w, pdl switches will be a little inconvenient as they will be by the top of the seat, but there wasn't hardly any other place to put them.

I have started some work on the bed and tailgate. I will post more pics soon on that.

Kevin
kstones63
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Kstone,

This is Truck heaven! looks great, what color is that?
65_Slick
United States of America

Post by 65_Slick »

What are you using for inner fender panels??

Marty
Marty
MSGT - Retired Air Force
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Kstone,

This is Truck heaven! looks great, what color is that?

The color is Fire Red Metallic Clearcoat from a late model Mustang or Explorer. This color has several variations in it and this one seemed to be the most vibrant.

What are you using for inner fender panels??

Marty

The inner fender panels are the stock ones from the 63. I just took everything off of them, filled all the holes and smoothed them out.
Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I got the handle relocated to the inside of the tailgate.

I am putting a sheet of aluminum on the inside of the tailgate to make it cleaner.

The upholsterer is making progress. The accent stripe is red not pink. The pic is deceiving.
Here are some pics of the cars in the shop that he works out of.
This one is being done while mine is.
The 56 Chevy goes in when mine comes out.

Kevin
kstones63
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I had the same idea with the speaker holes in my door panels only mine will most likely stay metal and I'll use progressively smaller holes towards the center or from the center out.

Looks real nice so far!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I got the truck back from upholstery. He doesn't have the seat done yet but that will come before too long.
Here are a some pics of the interior.

This goes under the dash for the a/c vents and controls.

The stereo can go in now.

I am working on the bed some more this weekend. I will post pics when I get something done.

Kevin
kstones63
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice interior. that is how i'm going to install my radio. that way I don't have to cut my dash. Where on your truck are you mounting your antenna?? I was thinking of a "hidden" antenna off e-bay. The truck looks great, keep up the great work and keep the pics coming....
Anthony
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Kevin, please tell me you are coming to SS with it - I'd love to see it up close. Stunning!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Anthony, The antenna is mounted in the under dash panel. I know that it isn't the best location for a radio antenna, but I plan on hooking up an
I-Pod and using that for most of the music when we go out of town. I didn't want an antenna showing on the putside of the truck. We get good radio reception here with a coat hanger for an antenna. :shock:

Greg, I hope to make it to SS. I have to wait to see how work goes. We were supposed to go to the Detroit area for the Woodward Dream Cruise in August but had to cancel because of not enough work. We just didn't want to spend the money. Now it looks like I will be getting slammed with to much work(should have went anyway). That's the way that construction is I guess.

I will post more pics probably tomorrow. I have been working on the bed and tailgate this weekend. :D

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

We had to straighten out the tailgate. It had a curve in it. We bolted a chain across the 2 front bed bolts to hook the chain come-a-long to. I welded metal tabs to the gate and started pulling the curve back out.
It took quote a bit of time to get this pulled back out but it finally did come out.

I am getting the tailgate ready for the smooth cover to go on it. I didn't want to put another layer on top of the tailgate so I cut the bottom out to install the cover. I will put a piece of 1 3/4" round tubing inside to to make it strong again and put the skin over this.
This is going to take some time to do but I don't want the skin on the tailgate to be out further than the edges of fenders.

Kevin
kstones63
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Kevin, the antenna under the dash is how I did my Jeep truck. It didn't come with a radio but came with a delete in the hole so I put a radio in and put 2 speakers in a piece of plywood, carpeted it mounted the antenna to the back side and bolted it up under the dash. It worked out good around here also. I was thinking of putting on one of those "hidden" antennas in the headliner of the '66.
Your truck is coming along great. I would have never thought of trying to bend a tailgate back straight. Don't know why....just wouldn't have.
Hope to see you and your ride at Slickstock.....

Anthony
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I like how you are going about filling the tailgate.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I got the tailgate almost finished this weekend. I just have some clean up work to do, media blast, a small amount on bondo work, primer and paint. Shouldn't be too bad.

I started last weekend welding the seams in the bed and starting the radius on the side of the bed. It is pretty much done and ready for finish work.

This part of the project is all starting to come together.

Kevin
kstones63
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

Thanks for all of the great photos.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
randyr

Post by randyr »

kstones63 wrote:I got the tailgate almost finished this weekend. I just have some clean up work to do, media blast, a small amount on bondo work, primer and paint. Shouldn't be too bad.

I started last weekend welding the seams in the bed and starting the radius on the side of the bed. It is pretty much done and ready for finish work.

This part of the project is all starting to come together.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, those welded seams are going to look great! What did you do to prep them for welding? How did you remove the old seam sealer and/or rust?
Your truck is really gonna be sweet!!
Randy
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Randy, I was fortunate and didn't have anything more than surface rust on the bed. I took a die grinder and ran the wheel down the joint to clean out the old seam sealer.
I put a piece of 3/16" rod on the side of the bed and started welding that in solid so I can make a radius to match the back part of the bed.

Kevin
kstones63